• Chattanooga - scout

#5603  by saltyshaker
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:48 pm
Wofford appeared like they had never before seen a wheel route.and while I congratulate Lincoln for his play vrs citadel,i have no doubt that if healthy Roberts gives this team a better chance to win.before getting hurt early in the Samford game,roberts played the game of his life vrs Wofford.i believe Lincoln gained invaluable experience and confidence which will benefit him if needed in the remainder of this year and certainly next year.but for now I believe that Robert's experience,leadership and certainly his passing ability make him our best choice for the efficiency of our offense.
FUPlayer74, dornb liked this
 #5607  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:18 pm
MNORM wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:30 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 am
Jackal and Bear can answer this… but I wonder with our OL youth does that play into screen plays?

Against Wofford Morehead was the matchup nightmare for Wofford, and I would give Wofford the nod over UTC in comparing defensive team speed. Watkins is a different style runner but has very similar speed. I'll be curious to see what Furman does to make this game a sideline to sideline game? If Furman does Furman wins going away.

Oh… thinking back to the Citadel game… Furman set up a play, can't remember if it was 2nd down or 3rd down, anyways it was a fair amount of yards for a first down. Furman set up a Maples pass to the right in the backfield - he dropped it, there wasn't anyone near him. I'd have to go back and watch the film to see if it was just a dump pass or a screen set up?
Any word on Morehead's availability this Saturday?
The two deep has him listed as the third back. He was listed as starter in early year. That's probably a sign of maybe a little gimp?
 #5608  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:48 pm
Wofford appeared like they had never before seen a wheel route. and while I congratulate Lincoln for his play vrs citadel, i have no doubt that if healthy Roberts gives this team a better chance to win.before getting hurt early in the Samford game,roberts played the game of his life vrs Wofford.i believe Lincoln gained invaluable experience and confidence which will benefit him if needed in the remainder of this year and certainly next year.but for now I believe that Robert's experience,leadership and certainly his passing ability make him our best choice for the efficiency of our offense.
Agree. Roberts is best FOR NOW. That is no insult to Lincoln at all. I mean Roberts didn't play as a freshman

Lincoln did a great thing in winning at Citadel - and beating his older cousin too!

Loved it. That was awesome. Thanks Mr Lincoln !!! Way to keep us moving with no turnovers and play smart !!

But as a senior the coaches appear much more likely to let Roberts throw to the backs and etc etc which is just so much more for a D to worry about. We were really starting to click w Roberts. Hope he is healthy !
 #5612  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:23 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 pm
Clay said on the coaches show tonight that Darius Morehead will be back in the lineup on Sat
When playing, Morehead and Watkins have gotten about the same number of touches per game. Wynn, and I think justifably, has seen the most touches in both the running and passing game.

We touched on this some last year, but Morehead is probably not a guy you ride for 15 carries a game. His “carrying tool” is his speed, and with that I think you want to pick your spots. He’s averaging for 7.6 ypc, which is pretty outstanding. With him in the lineup, it also keeps the other two guys fresher.
FUKA61 liked this
 #5615  by furman88
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:08 am
Darius Morehead is certainly a premier running back but seems to be bitten by the injury bug. Hope this works out for him. Luckily we have quite a good group of backs at the moment with speed and power. Watkins and Wynn certainly have the speed and have the ability to escape after being hit. The it factor in a back.
Also with the speed we can bring the bruisers in Dirks, Garcia and Maples. Gonna be fun as this OL matures.
FUKA61 liked this
 #5620  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:11 pm
According to stat sheet, Devin Abrahms saw some action - 1 carry in 1 game. I must have missed it. Was that against the Citadel?
 #5623  by DeepPurple
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:31 pm
CCH seemed to act like Morehead would be back last night on his show. Our running backs are getting better, really good bunch as a unit, and young!
 #5624  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:16 pm
Just noting that Abrams was listed in the article in the tailback group. Maybe a typo, maybe not.

I think we are seeing Furman move towards a more traditional pro-style look and perhaps with less focused on the "B" back like you might see in the primary option offenses. Not to say the fullback can't carry the ball--in fact, fullbacks often carry the ball in prostyle offenses--you just won't see us pound guys up there 15-20 times a game from that position.

We graduate two fullbacks (Dirks and Gibson). Maples looks like the real deal at that position. Roberto, incoming recruit, is already listed at 225. Sanders should be back as well.

I expect you will see us focus on one or two more backs in recruiting.
 #5678  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:31 am
I think Morehead only played a very few plays today. Caught a key pass for us! But most if the day - from the parts I saw - were Wynn and Watkins. Maybe still a little gimpy ?

So we won without much Morehead and no Dirks. That says something to good depth at RB

Abrams cane in for a play in the first half today the ESPN briadcast said
 #5685  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:23 am
Abrams was in more than one play… at least from what I saw.
Morehead appears to still be hobbled by an ankle.

I have to give the MOCS credit, they played some tough defense and they were trying their best to strip the ball every time. It was a great win I feel for several reasons. Getting Tavon Lawson back changes the MOCS defense.

Of course, it brought the team to 4-4 and keeps Furman in the hunt for a championship. In the long run, Furman needs to stay ahead of the MOCS when it comes to wooing players. Pre- Huesman Furman didn't really compete against UTC for players. That changed after the Mocs turned the series to their favor. We started losing several players to them (Bagley comes to mind).
FUKA61 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.