• Chattanooga - scout

#5568  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:37 am
Ill start with this:

Here are our scores allowd vs different offenses

in SoCon:
Wofford triple option - held them to a season low 14 points NICE
Citadel triple option - held them to a season low 17 points NICE

ETSU - 50/50 team? Similar to Chatt more than the others I think.. gave up 29 (granted, I think Henrik coulda put up 30+ if he was in for the whole game)

Western - passed a good bit and pulled off amazing acrobatic throws we allowed 38 pts.. too much
Samford - pass happy w a savvy QB who beats you with reads and makes you pay if you blitz - gave up 38

So it's pretty obvious from a high-level the more you pass the more you score vs us.

I think we have to score 25+ to win this. Hope not, but that is my guess. We just can't seem to keep teams that are 50/50 run pass below the 25 mark..

Need some long offense drives as always. Nice 10 play 7 minute drives.

Interested in thoughts of others - Jackal, FUBeAR ? Anyone?
what do you see from UTC. they are clearly playing better than last year by a long shot.

other note - they seem susceptible to the option. Wofford beat em with it and Citadel put up 28 on them with it though some of that may have been in OT ??
 #5572  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:38 am
first… I have confidence in Lincoln. I believe he earned a start this week with his performance against the Citadel.

UTC, struggled with Wofford on the edge - Bear went over this in detail on AGS.

The DINS running backs - no doubt are getting stronger as the season progresses. Dirks had his best game of the year last week, Wynn and Watkins have been impressive. I think this group will put a lot of stress on the UTC defense.

Flashback to the Wofford game, what really makes our backs dangerous is the threat they pose catching the ball out of the backfield.

This could be a close hard fought game or it wouldn't surprise me to see Furman have another big fourth quarter performance. The Citadel has played everyone tough and Furman by far was the stronger team in the fourth quarter. I think it's a predictor of good things to come.
FUBeAR, QCGlue, dornb liked this
 #5580  by Jasper
 Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm
Chattanooga does not appear to be a high scoring team so we likely not be in a "shoot out" type game with them. We have not done well in games like that and that augurs well for the Paladins. Wofford actually beat them better than that score would indicate. I think our defense is really coming on and would expect them to hold Chattanooga under 20 points. I think Furman will better that with either Harris or Lincoln at QB. I also agree that they seem to be a team that has difficulty as the game wears on. I don't know whether that is conditioning or depth but whatever it is, I am hoping it continues for another week at least.
Last edited by Jasper on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #5581  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:34 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm
Chattanooga does not appear to be a high scoring team so we likely not be in a "shoot out" type game with them. We have not done well in games like that and that augurs well for the Paladins. Wofford actually beat them better than that score would indicate. I think our defense is really coming on and would expect them to hold Chattanooga under 20 points. I think Furman will better that with either Harris or Lincoln at QB. I also agree that they seem to be a team that has difficulty as the game wears on. I don't know whether that is conditioning or depth but whatever it is, I am it continues for another week at least.
UTC is not necessarily a dangerous offense. It's not that they don't have good players, I just think it is really predictable. They have one guy that does most of the running and one guy that does most of the catching. The QB is a pretty good (and big) player that will run it a bit too.

I think they are a bit like the Citadel defensively. The best thing Furman did Saturday was not turn the ball over.
 #5582  by Paul C
 Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 pm
the O/U is 44....I like the over, with or without Roberts (although I like it more WITH Roberts)

GF makes a good and obvious point, that we are a better run D than pass D, and at least from a numbers perspective, UT-C pass offense is almost identical statistically to Western Carolina. Almost scary how similar the #s are....

3. Chattanooga 8 170/272 4 62.5 2102 7.7 14 262.8
4. Western Carolina 8 171/271 6 63.1 2100 7.7 22 262.5

Although from a purely athletic standpoint Adams is a cut above Tiano.

UTC has only given up 10 sacks vs WCU 15 so they do a better job protecting the passer. Also, UTC is +7 and first in the SOCON in TO ratio.
 #5584  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:05 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 pm
the O/U is 44....I like the over, with or without Roberts (although I like it more WITH Roberts)

GF makes a good and obvious point, that we are a better run D than pass D, and at least from a numbers perspective, UT-C pass offense is almost identical statistically to Western Carolina. Almost scary how similar the #s are....

3. Chattanooga 8 170/272 4 62.5 2102 7.7 14 262.8
4. Western Carolina 8 171/271 6 63.1 2100 7.7 22 262.5

Although from a purely athletic standpoint Adams is a cut above Tiano.

UTC has only given up 10 sacks vs WCU 15 so they do a better job protecting the passer. Also, UTC is +7 and first in the SOCON in TO ratio.
That’s amazing and those Offenses LOOK so different (to me.)

BTW PC - did you see the O/U on the ETSU @ Mercer game is 55.5? With Mercer (probably) starting a R-FR QB, who didn’t even start for his HS Team & (probably) without their All-Time Leading / All SoCon RB, I’m not sure they will even pick up a 1st down this week against ETSU’s tough D. And, ETSU’s O isn’t exactly a scoring dynamo (7th in the SoCon)...although Mercer’s scoring D IS also 7th. Still, I don’t see this one getting anywhere close to 55.5...maybe 40 or so. Would you drop some large on the UNDER for me in that one and let me know IF (and only if)...and how much...I win?
furman88, Jasper liked this
 #5592  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:39 am
AstroDin wrote:
first… I have confidence in Lincoln. I believe he earned a start this week with his performance against the Citadel.

The DINS running backs - no doubt are getting stronger as the season progresses. Dirks had his best game of the year last week, Wynn and Watkins have been impressive. I think this group will put a lot of stress on the UTC defense.

Flashback to the Wofford game, what really makes our backs dangerous is the threat they pose catching the ball out of the backfield.

This could be a close hard fought game or it wouldn't surprise me to see Furman have another big fourth quarter performance. The Citadel has played everyone tough and Furman by far was the stronger team in the fourth quarter. I think it's a predictor of good things to come.
I know we have been on youthful QBs but a little surprised we haven't thrown to our backs lately ... or a simple screen pass much this year. Vs Citadel whose D was in our backfield much of the day you often see a screen pass to deflect the opposing D bringing heat. I believe Jackal said the same thing or similar on AGS

As opposed to older years with the 5 yard tunnel screen on third and 7 :roll: ... Now it seems to not be used much if ever. Just kinda odd. Throwing to backs is somewhat similar but not exactly the same. The screen can really get teams to lay off bringing the heat

I do understand we probably kept it pretty simple the past two weeks
 #5593  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:06 am
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

I know we have been on youthful QBs but a little surprised we haven't thrown to our backs lately ... or a simple screen pass much this year. Vs Citadel whose D was in our backfield much of the day you often see a screen pass to deflect the opposing D bringing heat. I believe Jackal said the same thing or similar on AGS

As opposed to older years with the 5 yard tunnel screen on third and 7 :roll: ... Now it seems to not be used much if ever. Just kinda odd. Throwing to backs is somewhat similar but not exactly the same. The screen can really get teams to lay off bringing the heat

I have been surprised at the lack of a screen game.

As often as Furman likes to throw to the backs, as shifty as those backs are in space, our consistentcy in moving WRs into the backfield, and our athletic offensive linemen, you’d think we would run a handful of screen plays every game.
 #5595  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:59 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:06 am
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

I have been surprised at the lack of a screen game.

As often as Furman likes to throw to the backs, as shifty as those backs are in space, our consistentcy in moving WRs into the backfield, and our athletic offensive linemen, you’d think we would run a handful of screen plays every game.
Yep. Good point about Hendrix liking athletic OL. That too lends to screen plays - hasn’t thought of that
 #5596  by AstroDin
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 am
Jackal and Bear can answer this… but I wonder with our OL youth does that play into screen plays?

Against Wofford Morehead was the matchup nightmare for Wofford, and I would give Wofford the nod over UTC in comparing defensive team speed. Watkins is a different style runner but has very similar speed. I'll be curious to see what Furman does to make this game a sideline to sideline game? If Furman does Furman wins going away.

Oh… thinking back to the Citadel game… Furman set up a play, can't remember if it was 2nd down or 3rd down, anyways it was a fair amount of yards for a first down. Furman set up a Maples pass to the right in the backfield - he dropped it, there wasn't anyone near him. I'd have to go back and watch the film to see if it was just a dump pass or a screen set up?
 #5597  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:12 am
AstroDin wrote:
Jackal and Bear can answer this… but I wonder with our OL youth does that play into screen plays?

Against Wofford Morehead was the matchup nightmare for Wofford, and I would give Wofford the nod over UTC in comparing defensive team speed. Watkins is a different style runner but has very similar speed. I'll be curious to see what Furman does to make this game a sideline to sideline game? If Furman does Furman wins going away.

Oh… thinking back to the Citadel game… Furman set up a play, can't remember if it was 2nd down or 3rd down, anyways it was a fair amount of yards for a first down. Furman set up a Maples pass to the right in the backfield - he dropped it, there wasn't anyone near him. I'd have to go back and watch the film to see if it was just a dump pass or a screen set up?
Lots of different kinds of ‘screen passes.’ I think the type y’all mean are the more ‘old school’ ones, where the OLine allows the pass rush to go past them, then ‘leaks’ to one side, as does a RB, who may have initially feigned PassPro or being the ballcarrier in play action. Then the QB may take a Secondary drop and throw a soft touch pass over the rushing defenders, to the RB in the flat BEHIND the LOS (so that Linemen can be downfield AND can block while the ball is in the air). IMO, the most difficult part of such a play is the pass by the QB - very difficult pass even though the distance of ball flight may not be that far. The 2nd hard part about those is timing - getting 2 or 3 OL out there to lead AND the RB in position to catch the ball, while working thru the ‘trash’ of the pass rush is a lot harder than it seems. These ‘old school’ screens are great plays when well executed as a result of many, many practice reps in ‘live fire’ mode. When executed poorly, they are prone to MAJOR negatives - Pick 6 by smart DLmen or LB’s, losses, balls batted and then picked, etc. With as many QB’s and RB’s as FU has used/uses and, to a lesser degree, the youth of the OL; I suspect the cost/benefit analysis on this type of play, this season (so far) has it on the shelf (so far).
 #5599  by Paul C
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 am
The play calling in the Wofford game was fantastic.....and loved how we'd throw the back we faked it to initially. It's human nature to look away from the guy who was just the decoy on a fake, and even if for a split second that could be the step or two it takes to get open. Sort of like the pick and roll in basketball, it exploits the lack of eye discipline.
AstroDin liked this
 #5601  by MNORM
 Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:30 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Any word on Morehead's availability this Saturday?

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.