• 2022 Outlook

#55502  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:29 pm
I imagine the coaches would have preferred to keep the shirt on Wilson last season, but that ship sailed.

In this "modern" age of football, I don't see much use in looking too far down the line. There's too much fluidity. Too many variables.

Let's hope Huff goes out and lights up the scoreboard. Let's let the coaches best decide how to use the talent on the roster. Let next year worry about next year.
 #55527  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:52 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:50 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:50 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:23 am
My hope is we finally get to have some balance with our Quarterbacks.

Huff is a grad student in a two-year program - officially a Junior.
Wilson is a true Sophomore. Jace can redshirt if he only plays in 4 games.
Jones is a true Freshman. Carson can redshirt if he only plays in 4 games.

My best-case scenario.

Huff and Wilson rotate at QB this season (JR has already commented that he's played two quarterbacks before).
You get Carson Jones some quality reps this season and redshirt him.

2023; Huff is a Senior, Wilson is a Junior, and Jones is a redshirt Freshman.
2024; Wilson is a Senior, and Jones is a redshirt Sophomore. Quarterback no. 3 is redshirted.
2025; Jones is a redshirt Junior, and the backup is a redshirt Freshman. There will need to be another QB in the wings, a full scholarship, or a PWO.

Furman has a couple of interesting PWO QBs on the roster right now - David Renard and Dixon Massingill.
Astro, I agree - the only thing I would "maybe" like to see is Wilson get a redshirt. If Huff doesn't get banged up perhaps we only use Wilson 4 games this year or next year? Hate not to redshirt a QB. Will be interesting to watch that playout. Do we fully commit to 2 QBs (Huff and Wilson) and never redshirt Wilson? We have 2 years with Huff to do get Wilson a 5th year. I love having redshirt junior and redshirt senior QBs !

Though there may be more to the story. Maybe coaches know a QB (any QB) will only stay 4 years prior to moving on so no need to RS
I see a few problems with wanting to redshirt Jace…
The main reason - Jace wants to play - he has said as much.
We will need more than one QB this season. And we have no idea how JR plans to use his Furman quarterbacks.
The last thing is it causes another log jam at quarterback with two QBs being within one class of each other.
This can be good for competition, but I would hate to see us lose a quality QB to the transfer portal.

Maybe it's just pie-in-the-sky thinking, but for many cycles, Furman had an experienced senior QB leading the offense that year and a Sophomore QB waiting in the wings - ready to start as a Junior. Example Billy Napier.
Fair enough. And, as you said, a lot depends on how we see the QB utilized this year. Do we rotate them a lot? Or is there a main guy with the other getting one series a half? Many theories on this. One is that if you have two QBs you don't have a QB. Plus the two - if relatively equal - might cause each to be on a 'too short' leash. On the other hand, if you are running the QB a lot the chance of getting dinged up is there. No big deal - we will see how it goes. hope we start out well tonight!
 #55561  by Flagman
 Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:37 am
Pretty sure we have a main guy. We’ll Huff and puff, and blow your defense away. It’s Miller time!
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #61168  by AllTimeFU
 Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:17 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:29 pm
According to Sam Herder...

We go 7-4 this year w/ the losses to Clemson, ETSU, Mercer, and then either WCU or VMI with Furman beating Chattanooga. "SoCon will be a battle this year."

Looking back on this thread before the season. I know we are all glad this post referencing a 7-4 season didn’t age well!!

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.