• Citadel game thoughts.

#5474  by fufanatic
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm
Gotta give Lincoln a ton of credit. I wish the playbook was more expansive when he's in the game, but he played as well as we've seen him yesterday. Made the passes he was asked to take, distributed nicely. Well done.

Proud of this team for getting the win on the road against a rival. No easy task even when you aren't starting a backup QB.

In other SoCon action, Western Carolina hosed us by blowing a monster lead against ETSU and losing in 3 OT. Would have given ETSU a second conference loss. At this point, I could easily see us winning out, not making playoffs at 6-4, with Wofford and ETSU going to the playoffs and losing quickly.
sluggo liked this
 #5478  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:24 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:50 am
Does anybody know what that whole thing with Hamp Sisson was all about? It was a very bizarre switch to begin with and then the poor kid came into his first college game and the roof came down on his head. I don't think Lincoln was hurt or ill, so what was the thinking at that critical juncture of the game?
Seems to me coaches wanted a change of pace to shake up the stagnate offense. IMO that was not the fault of Lincoln, rather the OL letting the Citadel through and limited play calling. I’m sure Hamp is a more prolific passer, but without OL play that was a wasted series.

Not sure I understand this “limited playbook” stuff either. Lincoln and Harris have had the same amount of time under CCH and under the new Quarrels playbook. I understand they have not had the same practice time with first string, but it seems Lincoln got all of the first team snaps this week. Shouldn’t be a learning curve with playbook knowledge, just with getting comfortable playing with first string.
 #5479  by Jasper
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:53 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:14 pm
geez… Hamp was thrown into the fire, it looked like the entire DOG defense was in the backfield the minute the ball hit his hands on the two plays he was in there.
I'll say. You've got to feel sorry for that poor kid. He never had a chance. Hamp was a very good HS QB at a big Alabama school who played at a very high level of competition. This was not his first rodeo. I sure hope he gets a chance to show what he can do this season under better circumstances. If the speculation about DG is true and if HR remains on the sidelines, he should get a shot. He might consider buying the OL a steak before does though.
furman88 liked this
 #5483  by Davemeister
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:06 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:53 pm
He might consider buying the OL a steak before does though.
He should promise to buy the OL a steak - a GOOD one - IF he makes it through the game unharmed. We could take some money from the Championship Fund to help pay for it.
 #5487  by fufanatic
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:41 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:24 pm
Jasper wrote:
Does anybody know what that whole thing with Hamp Sisson was all about? It was a very bizarre switch to begin with and then the poor kid came into his first college game and the roof came down on his head. I don't think Lincoln was hurt or ill, so what was the thinking at that critical juncture of the game?
Not sure I understand this “limited playbook” stuff either. Lincoln and Harris have had the same amount of time under CCH and under the new Quarrels playbook. I understand they have not had the same practice time with first string, but it seems Lincoln got all of the first team snaps this week. Shouldn’t be a learning curve with playbook knowledge, just with getting comfortable playing with first string.
This. I understand that HR is older and more experienced as a QB, but it does seem strange that JL doesn't have a fuller playbook when he's in the game. It's my understanding that JL came from a running offense in high school so I would think at least some of the playbook is similar. Also I believe they shared first team reps all spring and into preseason practice. Considering HR's injuries this year, JL has probably had almost as much first team work if not more. It must purely come down to the ability to pass, which it appears HR is far superior in that aspect.
 #5495  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:20 pm
furman88 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:06 pm
We had another QB from California who didn't know the playbook either I heard. Turned out pretty well though.
This is what comes to my mind every time I hear the playbook excuse.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #5496  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:30 pm
I don't think it is a "doesn't know the playbook" problem. Jemar Licoln and Harris Roberts have both had the same amount of time under this coaching staff.

I think there's an experience factor in play. The game slows down a bit for a more experienced player who knows what he's looking at. We may be all well familiar with the play call and what to do, but football is an odd game that it is difficult to simulate the speed of the actual contest in practice. That comes easier to more veteran guys.
FUKA61, Jasper liked this
 #5498  by MNORM
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:41 pm
Jasper wrote:
JeMar Lincoln seemed a lot more comfortable today and did a very nice job with a limited play book. Don't know if the staff is pulling Grainger for the remainder of the season in order to red shirt him or not. I believe he still qualifies under the new rules.
The key to the this game was the running of Keeland Dirks in getting us out of a terrible situation. He did a lot of that on his own too. RB's were good all day. Did Morehead play at all?
I assume Harris Roberts is a week by week situation. We are clearly a much more dangerous team offensively with him in the game. The coaches are confident enough in him to open the play book much more. I get the sense that this offense is potentially more potent than we have seen thus far this year. We have some really terrific athletes all over the field who can do a lot of things with a football. (#'s 10, 83, 11, 82, 31 and Jake Walker come to mind)
The O line is still a work in progress but we missed Kroeber a lot today.
Defensively, a couple of guys who do not get much ink but are doing a very good job every week are Jordan Willis and Hodges. That little fire plug is tough to block and made a few really good plays yesterday.
I don't recall seeing Morehead much at all the past few weeks.
 #5502  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:16 pm
Morehead has not played since the Wofford game. In that game he had 3 carries for 31 yds and caught 2 passes for 38 yds. So he had 5 touches for 69 yds. He's a valuable asset to this team so I assume he is hurt.
 #5512  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:46 pm
As the injuries guy I'll note Morehead has been held out at Sam and Citadel. The positIve is that this is one of the positions we have already gotten the depth we want at every position !!!

Watkins and Wynn are looking good !!! This is where we need to be - 3 deep. Of course it's easier at RB and WR because you don't have to be as big or experienced. I think you can step in quicker at RB and WR. We still are working on QB and OL depth. I see we are only listing nine OL now. Kroeber as guard and backup center - that's tough

I think our LBs will be deep next year as all 8 return. DL will need a new guy or two to step for depth. But I have seen our recruiting looks good!

We are getting there. I think 2020 is when it's basically Hendrix team. McKoy senior. Granger Junior etc
DeepPurple liked this
 #5517  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:11 am
I can look at next year because I'm a fan.

Assuming everyone who is eligible to return does so, we'll return the entire two deep offensive line (which is literally and figuratively huge). We'll return all WRs and our solid stable of running backs.

I've never really found myself saying this, but if Furman was interested in a transfer QB, this would be the year to take one. Bring in a guy with a year or two of eligibility to add a more veteran player to the mix of what likely will be two freshmen and a sophomore at QB.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #5518  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:35 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:11 am
I can look at next year because I'm a fan.

Assuming everyone who is eligible to return does so, we'll return the entire two deep offensive line (which is literally and figuratively huge). We'll return all WRs and our solid stable of running backs.

I've never really found myself saying this, but if Furman was interested in a transfer QB, this would be the year to take one. Bring in a guy with a year or two of eligibility to add a more veteran player to the mix of what likely will be two freshmen and a sophomore at QB.

Agree. Just noting that we will lose Dirks and I want him to know that we REALLY appreciate what he has done for our team ! ..think about the late ( last?) drive where he got us off the one yard line this past week - He is so strong and fast.

Thanks mr Dirks !
Jasper liked this
 #5519  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:55 am
One person who hasn't gotten any love for a great game is Donavan Perryman.
Perryman led the team with 12 tackles, a sack, and of course the fumble recovery for a TD.
FUKA61, sluggo, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this
 #5520  by Jasper
 Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:23 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:30 pm
I don't think it is a "doesn't know the playbook" problem. Jemar Licoln and Harris Roberts have both had the same amount of time under this coaching staff.

I think there's an experience factor in play. The game slows down a bit for a more experienced player who knows what he's looking at. We may be all well familiar with the play call and what to do, but football is an odd game that it is difficult to simulate the speed of the actual contest in practice. That comes easier to more veteran guys.
I think this is the answer. The coaches want JL to be comfortable with what they prepare for him. It is not that he doesn't know the plays. He most certainly does. As did Forcier, BTW. That was just an excuse for another agenda.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.