• Citadel Game Thread

#5452  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:33 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:42 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:18 pm
Kudos to Keeland Dirks for getting us safely out from under our own goalposts with 2 critical first downs in the 4th qtr. Another great play by Adrian Hope with the QB sack and ensuing fumble that iced the win. Very workmanlike job by Jemar Lincoln in running the offense. Save for one play, the defense was excellent all day. Some really good running by Wynn. And then there was the bizarre QB switch to a freshman QB taking his first ever snap following a fortuitous turnover in a very close game. What the hell was that?
Absolutely, those runs by Dirks did it and it was all second effort. The blocking seemed to break down when Sisson went in for those two passing plays though. Nothing like a win at Citadel.
Have to be better on OL w blocking. That was the most DL penetration I have seen all year by an opponent. Apparently the coaches lit into our OL in the second half. I do think we had some reserves in but our radio announcers said we were taking plays off. You don't hear that comment from your own announcers often
 #5453  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:40 pm
tya1 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:21 pm
Everyday is a good day to beat the Bellhops. Today was another good day.

Very happy with the 4th quarter response after we lost the lead. With such a young team it is always nervous time when we trail late. We stood tall today.

Solid game from Lincoln. No turnovers and smooth ballhandling. Efficient passing to burn the Citadel defense when they over concentrated on the run.

Held the Citadel to 28 yards of offense on their final five possessions. That's how you seize control of a game.

The third quarter lull was worrying but maybe that is part of growing pains for a young team.
I do,wish w 80 seconds left we would pull a few starters. Hope rolled over w about 75 seconds left. Up 10 not sure he should be in. Same happened a about 4 minutes left v Wofford I think. Kroeber was hurt. Up 20 not w 4 minutes left sure we needed our OL key guys in game
Hope wasn't a starter. It was still a close game. They were in a passing situation. He is our best pass rusher. How many players are we supposed to sit?
You know I have an injuris fetish. Lol So it's Tough to watch guys lay on the ground with a minute left. Injuries are such a HUGE part of the game. Roberts out. And that changes everything. We have a few injuries on OL And Citadel was all in our backfield. So when I see us up,two scores it's just tough. I just hope he and the OL and Roberts get healthy !!!

Great game guys !!!
 #5475  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:06 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:56 pm
I think Mr. Lincoln earned more PT.
For sure. I thought he brought some of what made Blaze so good last year with efficiency passing and managing the run game. Needs to be better on some of the option decisions and needs help from OL.
 #5480  by sluggo
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:50 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
For sure. I thought he brought some of what made Blaze so good last year with efficiency passing and managing the run game. Needs to be better on some of the option decisions and needs help from OL.
He sure got enough haterade on this board before the game was won.
Zero support.

Sad.
 #5481  by Jasper
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:52 pm
sluggo wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
Zero support.

Sad.
????????
 #5484  by youwouldno
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:19 pm
Lincoln did seem very composed. One issue with pass blocking is that other teams aren't afraid to blitz and leave guys in single coverage, even though they can't cover Gordon or Burnette, because the young QBs can't read the defense pre-snap and make adjustments . . . another issue of course is the abysmal play calling.

I could see the offense clicking with Lincoln, but more would have to be done to keep the defense off balance.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #5485  by sluggo
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:25 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:52 pm
sluggo wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
Zero support.

Sad.
????????
Whining about a hurt QB who obviously couldn't play yesterday instead of hoping the only logical choice to play did well was despicable.

I'm not the only one who thinks this; just the only one with enough balls to post it on a board with my name next to it.
AstroDin liked this
 #5491  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:13 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:51 pm
Great win. Awesome.

Few thoughts. More later

third quarter our OL was BAD. BAD. Our own Radio announcers called them out. Said the OL was taking plays off - Cobb(?) said they were taking a lot of plays off and had little effort. Man. Glad to see them get it back together in fourth Q !!!
I agree it was a huge win for Furman. I could not attend. I wish I could find out the truth or untruth about the statements above about the OL being so bad in Q3, taking plays off, taking a lot of plays off, and having little effort. If there is truth to that, what is the reason and what is the correction?
sluggo liked this
 #5497  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:34 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:13 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:51 pm
Great win. Awesome.

Few thoughts. More later

third quarter our OL was BAD. BAD. Our own Radio announcers called them out. Said the OL was taking plays off - Cobb(?) said they were taking a lot of plays off and had little effort. Man. Glad to see them get it back together in fourth Q !!!
I agree it was a huge win for Furman. I could not attend. I wish I could find out the truth or untruth about the statements above about the OL being so bad in Q3, taking plays off, taking a lot of plays off, and having little effort. If there is truth to that, what is the reason and what is the correction?
Could also be a former player with a "back in my day. . ." type comment.
Jasper liked this
 #5499  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:52 pm
Was glad to notice a tweet by Cobb saying that Saturday was a great effort. So if it was him who said OL was taking off (maybe it was not him), he is not repeating it in his tweet.
 #5501  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:12 pm
affirm wrote:
Was glad to notice a tweet by Cobb saying that Saturday was a great effort. So if it was him who said OL was taking off (maybe it was not him), he is not repeating it in his tweet.
On the post game show it sounded like it was Marcus McMorris.
 #5505  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:12 pm
affirm wrote:

On the post game show it sounded like it was Marcus McMorris.

Right, I can't recall who it was, but I GUARANTEE you it was said.- something to the effect of 'our OL is getting beat bc they are taking plays off and not giving max effort'.. said something like ' look, in reality, we all take plays off, its true... but these guys are taking too many plays off and at bad times'.. no names.. just said OL

I also obviously can't guarantee the truth or untruth of the actual statement... obviously. But it was the first time I have ever heard it said like that by our own radio crew..

If our radio crew is gonna say it then it should be ok to type it. Don't get mad at me unless you are going to get mad at our radio guys too. I would Never have even thought that had they not said it. Because I know Hendrix demands max effort.

*And, the OL y seemed to turn a corner in the 4th Q !! Great job. I am also aware we had some injuris (though the comment was effort not Xs and Os).

What's tough on our OL right now... is I don't think anyone is respecting our pass game enough so we are outnumbered up front. Guys as good as Burnette and Gordon are getting single coverage until we prove we will throw a few more times.. more like 15-20 probably? Hendrix even said post-game we probably should have thrown a few more times

I was just repeating radio comment that surprised me. NOTHING MORE

All that said, I am so proud of our guys - great win !! Let's beat Chattanooga !!!! :D :D :D