• 2022-23 Bob Richey, Mike Bothwell, Jalen Slawson return

#53926  by furpop16
 Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:06 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:45 am
I’m not sure Slaw can get much better. Honestly, I don’t expect to see much improvement in Bothwell.

I'm not sure if you've had the chance yet to listen to the latest All-Din Podcast, but in it are some nuggets that you might find interesting. CBR goes into some detail about how the recent NBA draft experience revealed particular strengths of each which the Paladins are planning to leverage next season. My guess is we'll see noticeable improvement in both Slawson & Bothwell.
Roundball, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #53932  by PaladinPower
 Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:51 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:06 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:45 am
I’m not sure Slaw can get much better. Honestly, I don’t expect to see much improvement in Bothwell.

I'm not sure if you've had the chance yet to listen to the latest All-Din Podcast, but in it are some nuggets that you might find interesting. CBR goes into some detail about how the recent NBA draft experience revealed particular strengths of each which the Paladins are planning to leverage next season. My guess is we'll see noticeable improvement in both Slawson & Bothwell.
Surprise, surprise. Furmanoid thinks there’s little chance that the two best players get even better. He knows it is a developmental program, right? Please find us a player under CBR whose stats got significantly worse or stayed the same from one year to the next... Weren’t you the one who thought it near impossible to match the production lost from Mounce and Gurley? And the team actually got better... keep underestimating the team and the coaching staff!
 #53933  by furpop16
 Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:17 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Weren’t you the one who thought it near impossible to match the production lost from Mounce and Gurley? And the team actually got better...

Nope, not me. I’m the guy who posted the annual key graduates for each year going back to 2016 and pointed out each year we’ve either held our own or improved. I’ve never sided with the sky-is-falling crowd, so as Harry Callahan would say “You’ve misjudged me.”
 #53935  by PaladinPower
 Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:50 am
furpop16 wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Weren’t you the one who thought it near impossible to match the production lost from Mounce and Gurley? And the team actually got better...

Nope, not me. I’m the guy who posted the annual key graduates for each year going back to 2016 and pointed out each year we’ve either held our own or improved. I’ve never sided with the sky-is-falling crowd, so as Harry Callahan would say “You’ve misjudged me.”
I was referring to Furmanoid in that entire post, just quoted the wrong one. I know furpop16 is a loyal fan!
furpop16 liked this
 #53936  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:08 am
PaladinPower wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:50 am
furpop16 wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:

I was referring to Furmanoid in that entire post, just quoted the wrong one. I know furpop16 is a loyal fan!
So…you’re saying Furmanoid, who has almost 2,000 posts here (furpop16 has 853 posts here & PaladinPower (Furmanoid’s ‘accuser’) has 315 (313 of those in the Basketball forum)…fwiw), is NOT a loyal [Furman and/or Furman Basketball] fan because he expressed commentary that was less than 100% glowingly positive about Furman Basketball?

FUBeAR is worried we might be leaning a skosh bit toward the cultish side with some FU hoops fans here these days. Guess that can be considered a good thing in some ways, but “opposing critical thinking” is the #1 (of 7) sign of something being a cult. #4 is “seeking inappropriate loyalty to leaders.” That one might also apply to this ‘callout’ of Furmanoid for his ‘transgression.’
apaladin liked this
 #53937  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:04 am
Dang, I thought I was pretty diplomatic. Yes last year I was not hopeful that we could replace Mounce and Gurley’s point production. But I was mostly saying I didn’t see how we could lose those guys and dramatically IMPROVE, which was what people were predicting.I suspected Garrison might be good and I was sure Hunter would be better. But I didn’t see Slawson developing into a superstar. Even so, I was mostly right. We didn’t dramatically improve enough to accomplish our goals.

Same type of deal this year. Slawson has already had a burst of improvement and it’s hard to improve like that two years in a row. Bothwell seems real streaky but I think it’s a matchup thing. Can he develop a wrinkle to use against those guys who stop him? Maybe.
Just saying most guys’ improvement curves flatten out pretty much after about 15 years of playing any sport.

The good news is that we probably don’t need to improve.
apaladin liked this
 #53948  by Davemeister
 Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:12 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:04 am
We didn’t dramatically improve enough to accomplish our goals.

I'm not so sure about that. Methinks we did not improve our luck enough. Our guys had the SoCon Tournament in the bag. What were the odds of the last 4 seconds playing out the way they did?

As baseball fans might say: WE WUZ ROBBED!
apaladin liked this
 #53949  by cavedweller2
 Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:58 am
Guard wise we will be ok. I am interested in the development of Hughey, Williams and Respass. They could be key if they take big steps forward. Will Johnny Lawrence return and make an impact?
 #53952  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:23 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:58 am
Guard wise we will be ok. I am interested in the development of Hughey, Williams and Respass. They could be key if they take big steps forward. Will Johnny Lawrence return and make an impact?
I think Lawrence could be a factor if he is healthy.