• 2022-23 Bob Richey, Mike Bothwell, Jalen Slawson return

#52955  by Fuonetime
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:59 pm
It’s my understanding that FU is trying to line up funding for a renovation of Timmons. I hope it happens before the season starts. An upgrade is important as we don’t need any stone left unturned in our pursuit of basketball greatness. We have a lot going for us and this would be another big step. I hope an announcement comes soon so CBR can use it recruiting new players as well as retaining current players. (The transfer portal is a bugaboo.) BTW, Dins Day is coming up. That would be a great time for a renovation announcement.
Sad Din and 1 others liked this
 #52956  by Sad Din
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:37 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:59 pm
It’s my understanding that FU is trying to line up funding for a renovation of Timmons. I hope it happens before the season starts. An upgrade is important as we don’t need any stone left unturned in our pursuit of basketball greatness. We have a lot going for us and this would be another big step. I hope an announcement comes soon so CBR can use it recruiting new players as well as retaining current players. (The transfer portal is a bugaboo.) BTW, Dins Day is coming up. That would be a great time for a renovation announcement.
JD has said that renovations is in 3 phases
1. Timmons exterior including roads
2. Practice facility
3. Inside Timmons

He seemed to imply that #1 was PRI 1. Personally dont understand whats wrong with Timmons exterior. If it were up to SD, priority would be

#52957  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:10 pm
I really don’t see anything wrong with the roads at Timmons. What am I missing? Seems to me the interior is much more needed than the exterior. Do we not already have 2 facilities that could be used for for practice at least temporarily? Do the interior first.
 #52958  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:30 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:28 pm
They updated the facilities with the brand new locker rooms and offices. Don’t sit here and say they’ve done NOTHING to improve the situation. Those updates are probably not close to bottom of the league facilities. I’m just saying it probably doesn’t impact recruiting to the point where we are kids’ last options because the arena is the way it is… Sure it will help, but it’s not a dealbreaker.
You have lost me, not sure we are talking about the same thing anymore, and at no point did I ever say "they’ve done NOTHING", you're being ridiculous to fight me on this, our arena sucks and we all know it. Players that tour FU I am sure love the campus and academics and that we are winning 20+ games, but it sure would be nice to show them a nice arena as well. We just might land a few more really good recruits on a more consistent basis if that was the case, thus giving us the opportunity to achieve even more as a basketball program.
Anyone that would fight this subject I am just not sure what planet they might be from :?
 #52961  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:25 am
Paul C wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:06 am
Bon Secours Wellness Arena is a FiNE home facility. In fact it’s hosted the NCAA First and Second round games three times.

Of course, we could be Elon…..
For 3 out of 15 home games it is

Furman not upgrading Timmons fully renovated would be like sitting on a winning lotto ticket and not cashing it in.
Bob Richey is our lotto ticket, now lets go do everything we can to cash it in!
 #52966  by PaladinPower
 Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:03 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
They updated the facilities with the brand new locker rooms and offices. Don’t sit here and say they’ve done NOTHING to improve the situation. Those updates are probably not close to bottom of the league facilities. I’m just saying it probably doesn’t impact recruiting to the point where we are kids’ last options because the arena is the way it is… Sure it will help, but it’s not a dealbreaker.
You have lost me, not sure we are talking about the same thing anymore, and at no point did I ever say "they’ve done NOTHING", you're being ridiculous to fight me on this, our arena sucks and we all know it. Players that tour FU I am sure love the campus and academics and that we are winning 20+ games, but it sure would be nice to show them a nice arena as well. We just might land a few more really good recruits on a more consistent basis if that was the case, thus giving us the opportunity to achieve even more as a basketball program.
Anyone that would fight this subject I am just not sure what planet they might be from :?
Dude, we all bleed purple and root for the same team. It's okay to disagree. Were we not talking about recruiting and the existing arena our team plays in impacting that? I'm sure every coach, player, and fan wants the renovations done to Timmons that it needs. No one is against it. It would certainly help recruiting. I'm saying that it is not hurting recruiting as much as you would think it is.

Below is a list of schools that guys like Jordan Lyons, Slawson, Hien, Hughey, and Pegues had offers from but chose CBR and Furman.

Mercer
UNCW
Middle Tennessee St.
Old Dominion
Abeline Christian
Chattanooga
Winthrop
App. St.
Army
ETSU
Belmont
Toledo
Navy
Elon
Samford
Miami Ohio
Duquense
Ohio
Kent St.
William and Mary
Bowling Green

I'd bet Furman's facilities in comparison to those schools is lack luster but we were still able to land some great players. Every school is going to miss out on some of their top recruiting targets, but we aren't slumming with the ones we have gotten. Hopefully the announcement of renovating comes soon!
din23 and 1 others liked this
 #52968  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:27 am
PaladinPower wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:03 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
Dude, we all bleed purple and root for the same team. It's okay to disagree. Were we not talking about recruiting and the existing arena our team plays in impacting that? I'm sure every coach, player, and fan wants the renovations done to Timmons that it needs. No one is against it. It would certainly help recruiting. I'm saying that it is not hurting recruiting as much as you would think it is.

Below is a list of schools that guys like Jordan Lyons, Slawson, Hien, Hughey, and Pegues had offers from but chose CBR and Furman.

Mercer
UNCW
Middle Tennessee St.
Old Dominion
Abeline Christian
Chattanooga
Winthrop
App. St.
Army
ETSU
Belmont
Toledo
Navy
Elon
Samford
Miami Ohio
Duquense
Ohio
Kent St.
William and Mary
Bowling Green

I'd bet Furman's facilities in comparison to those schools is lack luster but we were still able to land some great players. Every school is going to miss out on some of their top recruiting targets, but we aren't slumming with the ones we have gotten. Hopefully the announcement of renovating comes soon!

My end game, I would like to ultimately dominate the SoCon. I would like for that list to include more programs from top 10 rated conferences moving forward, for that we will need to spruce up our arena more. That's all.
Fuonetime liked this
 #53822  by soconjohn
 Mon May 30, 2022 12:06 am
I try to be pretty even-keeled and sometimes I am too pessimistic to a fault when it comes to Furman basketball...Not because sometimes I believe it, but more because of getting my expectations too high in the past....That said, I've seen Furman play a lot in my life and I honestly feel that next year's basketball team has a chance to be the best team in my 42 years of life...Not only that, I think they will threaten 30 wins and a ranking...That's a sligltly bold prediction, but I am willing to make it. Not something common for me at all to say something like that...I've said it before about the 2004 football team rivaling the 1989 team...But this is the first time I have felt this way about basketball.
furpop16, din23, Roundball and 3 others liked this
 #53837  by apaladin
 Mon May 30, 2022 9:07 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 12:06 am
I try to be pretty even-keeled and sometimes I am too pessimistic to a fault when it comes to Furman basketball...Not because sometimes I believe it, but more because of getting my expectations too high in the past....That said, I've seen Furman play a lot in my life and I honestly feel that next year's basketball team has a chance to be the best team in my 42 years of life...Not only that, I think they will threaten 30 wins and a ranking...That's a sligltly bold prediction, but I am willing to make it. Not something common for me at all to say something like that...I've said it before about the 2004 football team rivaling the 1989 team...But this is the first time I have felt this way about basketball.
Not at all disagreeng with you as we all are excited and have high expectations. Just wondering why with the loss of 2 great veteran players you feel FU will be better this season. Are you expecting huge jumps from certain players or thinking JS and MB will be better than ever and carry the team or something else? Interested in hearing your thoughts.
furpop16 liked this
 #53911  by fu77fan
 Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:36 pm
I hope we will be better , but there is certainly no guarantee. While Bothwell was fantastic in the UTC game, there were games where he was not so great including the game , I think Miss State, where he scored 0 points. Likewise, while Slawson had a great year, he was not great in every game. While others could certainly step up, again there is no guarantee.
And do not forget that we lost Garrison and Hunter , who were both very important contributors to our team last year.
Again I hope we will be better, but there is no guarantee. If our veteran players are consistent ( consistently good) , our younger players get better , we have no significant injuries, and we have a little bit of luck, it could be a great season!! I am certainly looking forward to see how it all unfolds!
Go Dins!!
 #53922  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:45 am
fu77fan wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:36 pm
I hope we will be better , but there is certainly no guarantee. While Bothwell was fantastic in the UTC game, there were games where he was not so great including the game , I think Miss State, where he scored 0 points. Likewise, while Slawson had a great year, he was not great in every game. While others could certainly step up, again there is no guarantee.
And do not forget that we lost Garrison and Hunter , who were both very important contributors to our team last year.
Again I hope we will be better, but there is no guarantee. If our veteran players are consistent ( consistently good) , our younger players get better , we have no significant injuries, and we have a little bit of luck, it could be a great season!! I am certainly looking forward to see how it all unfolds!
Go Dins!!
True. Not sure we need to get the net scissors out just yet. I’m not sure Slaw can get much better. Honestly, I don’t expect to see much improvement in Bothwell. And we lost 2 really good players. So our hoped for success depends on a bunch of guys who’ve never done all that much. But we have a good coach, and I think our league will be terrible.