• Citadel Game Thread

#5385  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:31 pm
I didn't love the call, but I get the rationale.

There isn't much time left in the half. The Citadel does not have a quick strike offense, so there's little risk in them flying down the field to score. Even if you don't get it, you still have the lead and they have a lot of ground to cover.

Furman runs a safe play to their big back. Other than kneeling it, that's about the safest play to run. Eliminate the possibility of a turnover or blocked kick, and go into the half with the lead on the road.

We've seen huge momentum swings the last few games with our young QBs. Don't screw around with getting fancy and losing the football. Run a safe play, and if you get it, great.
 #5386  by youwouldno
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:

There isn't much time left in the half. The Citadel does not have a quick strike offense, so there's little risk in them flying down the field to score. Even if you don't get it, you still have the lead and they have a lot of ground to cover.

Furman runs a safe play to their big back. Other than kneeling it, that's about the safest play to run. Eliminate the possibility of a turnover or blocked kick, and go into the half with the lead on the road.

We've seen huge momentum swings the last few games with our young QBs. Don't screw around with getting fancy and losing the football. Run a safe play, and if you get it, great.
That would be a passable argument except for one huge problem - they could have attempted the field goal instead.
 #5387  by El Guapo
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:35 pm
I’m pleased with our first half. The third quarter has been a huge issue for us so I’m hoping for no turnovers!
 #5388  by Jasper
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:37 pm
Both the defense and Lincoln doing a nice job. The Citadel Qb does not throw deep very well so we need to tighten up on his short, quick passes. We are stopping their option running game real well. Questionable call on critical 4th and one. As much as our staff WANTS to run it up the middle in short yardage situations, we just have not DONE it well this year. We are running outside the tackles very well so let’s do it. Lincoln seems confident and poised so far.
 #5389  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:40 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:

That would be a passable argument except for one huge problem - they could have attempted the field goal instead.
With Atkins, I feel fairly confident that if they thought he was a likely make from that spot on the field, they would have taken it.

Ball on about the 35 yard line on the left hash is a 52 yard field goal in overcast windy Charleston weather. It is definitely not a gimme.
 #5390  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:42 pm
Not scientific, but Grainger has on one of the colored jerseys calling plays. Hamp Sisson does not. I presume Sisson is QB2.

I say that really only because Sisson typically has on one of the colored jerseys. They are also a pain to get off and on over shoulder pads. You see Reese Vitas jersey is draped over his shoulders because he has to handle holds for the kicks.
 #5391  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:50 pm
Not a good opening drive. It's amazing how much difference HR makes in this offense. I think if he playing we are up 3-4 scores. Right now we are a WC/Cit wanna be offense. Very boring.
 #5392  by El Guapo
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:58 pm
Very close to being interference on the punt reception. Our guy barely touched the ball before being hit. We can’t go three and out here this close to our end zone.
 #5394  by MNORM
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:02 pm
Our pass D strikes again....

Longest pass play in Cit football history.
Last edited by MNORM on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #5396  by sluggo
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:05 pm
That 91 yard TD pass would have been stopped if HR was playing QB and free safety.
Last edited by sluggo on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #5398  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:08 pm
sluggo wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:05 pm
That 91 yard TD pass would have been stopped if HR was playing QB and free safety.

It wouldn't have mattered we would have 40 by now.
PaladinDad, Davemeister liked this