#53640  by The Jackal
 Fri May 20, 2022 8:21 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:27 pm
Mercer released their Home game Kickoff Times.

Furman @ Mercer on Saturday 11/12 will kickoff at 3 PM…

…the earliest Kickoff of Mercer’s 5 Home games (7 PM, 6 PM, and 2 @ 4 PM are the Bears’ other KO times.)
Nothing like being consistent. Lol. I like the FU model of having the same ko time on Saturdays unless TV demands.
Definitely some strong merit to that approach.

Also, though, since Maconga is the only place on earth hotter than Columbia, SC, it makes some sense to start the early season games at night / late afternoon and then roll it back to earlier in the day as the weather cools a bit.
I'm in the opposite camp.

Yes, early evening kicks mean some of the game will be played after the sun goes down, but it also requires that the pre-game activities (socializing, tailgating, etc.) be done in the hottest part of the day during the hottest part of the year.

I vastly prefer the pre-game stuff for the fans occur during the cooler late morning, watch the game, and be heading to the car when the heat gets truly oppressive.
 #53642  by FUBeAR
 Fri May 20, 2022 8:36 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

…the earliest Kickoff of Mercer’s 5 Home games (7 PM, 6 PM, and 2 @ 4 PM are the Bears’ other KO times.)
Nothing like being consistent. Lol. I like the FU model of having the same ko time on Saturdays unless TV demands.

Also, though, since Maconga is the only place on earth hotter than Columbia, SC, it makes some sense to start the early season games at night / late afternoon and then roll it back to earlier in the day as the weather cools a bit.

Yes, early evening kicks mean some of the game will be played after the sun goes down, but it also requires that the pre-game activities (socializing, tailgating, etc.) be done in the hottest part of the day during the hottest part of the year.

I vastly prefer the pre-game stuff for the fans occur during the cooler late morning, watch the game, and be heading to the car when the heat gets truly oppressive.
FUBeAR has a nice big shady tailgate tent, a very comfortable tailgating chair, a wonderful Yeti cooler full of ice and very cold beverages, and electric fans w/generator for the socializing / tailgating hours outside of the stadium.

Inside the stadium, FUBeAR only has access to cold (but rapidly warming) beverages at a relative premium cost compared to those beverages in the Yeti.

Nah…give FUBeAR a little heat / sun break during the game when he’s engaged in intense cheering & heated denigration of the opponents.

Also…not that they matter, but FUBeAR has heard that Players & Coaches might prefer to perform outside the highest heat of the day as well.
 #53643  by Furmanoid
 Fri May 20, 2022 8:59 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Noon works for the Big 10. They do it to dodge the frigid mid-late afternoon. But here it dodges the oven-like mid-late afternoon.

I’ve been to a 12:00 OSU game and an 8:00PM OSU game. I really liked the early one better. By 8:00 the crowd looked like a Walking Dead episode. I even went to an Ole Miss game a few years ago at 11:45. The Grove was as busy as ever. And since the crowd prefers distilled spirits over beer, it only takes an hour and a half or so to pregame.
 #53653  by AllTimeFU
 Fri May 20, 2022 2:19 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:59 am
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Noon works for the Big 10. They do it to dodge the frigid mid-late afternoon. But here it dodges the oven-like mid-late afternoon.

I’ve been to a 12:00 OSU game and an 8:00PM OSU game. I really liked the early one better. By 8:00 the crowd looked like a Walking Dead episode. I even went to an Ole Miss game a few years ago at 11:45. The Grove was as busy as ever. And since the crowd prefers distilled spirits over beer, it only takes an hour and a half or so to pregame.
Speaking of Pre-Game --- anything new in store this year for the Paladins?
 #53759  by apaladin
 Thu May 26, 2022 3:12 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 3:02 pm
FU vs Clemson set for 3:30. https://twitter.com/ToddSummers7/status ... OWpLsqAAAA
Nice to be playing in the coolest part of the day!! 😳 At least its not on ACCNX and on regular ACCN.
Here are some other away game ko times that have been announced:
Charleston Southern NOON
Citadel. 2PM
Mercer. 3PM
 #53761  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 26, 2022 3:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 3:12 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 3:02 pm
FU vs Clemson set for 3:30. https://twitter.com/ToddSummers7/status ... OWpLsqAAAA
Nice to be playing in the coolest part of the day!! 😳 At least its not on ACCNX and on regular ACCN.
LOL - yeah Mrs. FUBeAR like to have fell out the last time we were over there and had seats in the sun right up next to Bob Uecker. The view of Lake Hartwell from up that high was dang impressive though! A Georgia grad, it was her 1st visit to Clemson. She will not be returning.

Good thing we had great parking, courtesy of Clemson’s AD (at the time), who was also a Mercer Football Dad. FUBeAR didn’t want to accept his kind and generous offer of AD Box Seats cuz he would have had to abandon his FU Peeps. Mrs. FUBeAR does not like FUBeAR very much. Hard to see why, ain’t it?
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sun May 29, 2022 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin liked this
 #53800  by apaladin
 Sat May 28, 2022 3:28 pm
bj93 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:45 pm
When is the last time (if ever) we have played on a Thursday night?
2006, remember a few years before that playing at Vanderbilt on a Thursday night.
 #53805  by gofurman
 Sun May 29, 2022 12:01 am
apaladin wrote:
bj93 wrote:
2006, remember a few years before that playing at Vanderbilt on a Thursday night.
Thought you meant this game at Vandy. BJ first year. But appears this was a Saturday

https://furm_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2002-03/fur0907.htm

Maybe we went back on a Thursday another year?
 #53808  by apaladin
 Sun May 29, 2022 2:25 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:01 am
apaladin wrote:
bj93 wrote:
Thought you meant this game at Vandy. BJ first year. But appears this was a Saturday

https://furm_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/2002-03/fur0907.htm

Maybe we went back on a Thursday another year?
I stand corrected. It’s been almost 20 years! 👍
 #53809  by The Jackal
 Sun May 29, 2022 9:31 am
Furman bussed the entire freshman class to Vanderbilt for that game, which was during orientation week, I believe.
 #53849  by AllTimeFU
 Tue May 31, 2022 1:13 pm
Beyond Clemson, who do you think our toughest opponent will be? At ETSU? or Home against UTC? Am I overlooking Mercer or Wofford?
 #53851  by fupaladin01
 Tue May 31, 2022 2:38 pm
I think Mercer will be the toughest opponent. It's in maconga, and their teams returns plent of strarters including the senior QB who threw for 1600yds and 57% completion rate. Our D couldn't stop them last year and our O couldn't find the endzone. Plus Cronic has 3 months to get his machine running.

ETSU will be second toughest IMO because Roper's offense will be finding its rhythm still, and although Quarles will be experiencing the same, their returning QB Riddell probably has the experience edge and the game's in Johnson City.
 #53852  by FUBeAR
 Tue May 31, 2022 3:14 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:38 pm
I think Mercer will be the toughest opponent. It's in maconga, and their teams returns plent of strarters including the senior QB who threw for 1600yds and 57% completion rate. Our D couldn't stop them last year and our O couldn't find the endzone. Plus Cronic has 3 months to get his machine running.

ETSU will be second toughest IMO because Roper's offense will be finding its rhythm still, and although Quarles will be experiencing the same, their returning QB Riddell probably has the experience edge and the game's in Johnson City.
Chatt, if their (latest) transfer QB works out, will be very good again.

Samford, with Coach Hatcher coaching for his job, will be dangerous.

We saw what WCU was starting to put together late season. Just listened to a Kerwin Bell interview. He expects to win the SoCon this year, but allowed that it will take until 2023 for them to win the National Championship because they are still so young.

Don’t see the Tearyers or the bellhops rising out of the depths to which they have sunk overall, though they can surprise, as Woffy did to Elon and CIT did to Chatt & VMI, last season.

VMI is always a question mark. With Coach W., it now seems they will always be competitive and rise above competitive on occasion.

Winning the SoCon will be as tough as winning any FCS Conference in the country.
fupaladin01 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.