• Last Ask The AD Until August

#53651  by Furmanoid
 Fri May 20, 2022 1:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:31 pm
Football generates more income than one might think. Attendance, concessions, sponsorships, advertsising etc, and so does basketball. The minor sports only generate costs and no revenue. Their travel expenses alone are enough to break the bank, Since the NCAA is totally useless now and has no power, my suggestion is just drop all the minor sports except 2-3 womens sports and just have football and basketball. If the ncaa says anything just take them to court. Easy win,
So if a sport brings in $3M and costs $5M, that’s way better than a sport that generates no income and costs $1M? How? Both are propped up by student fees. I’m just slightly concerned about the students someday saying “We don’t need no stinking football. We’d rather have concerts or cheap foreign study or something.” Then what?

Maybe football really does pay for other sports but it isn’t clear how that can be so.
 #53701  by apaladin
 Mon May 23, 2022 2:20 am
1. Future football schedules: Need 2 games for 2024 and one game for 2025 both 12 game seasons. Whats the plan? Since we have trouble scheduling home games will we play 2 fbs games those years?
2. Don’t recall having zero known ooc games 3 years down the road. What’s the plan? Any games you have and just not announced?
 #53703  by Roundball
 Mon May 23, 2022 7:49 am
apaladin wrote:
1. Future football schedules: Need 2 games for 2024 and one game for 2025 both 12 game seasons. Whats the plan? Since we have trouble scheduling home games will we play 2 fbs games those years?
2. Don’t recall having zero known ooc games 3 years down the road. What’s the plan? Any games you have and just not announced?
The answer to your questions is obvious. AD’s have no idea what is going to happen with the college football landscape today, much less 3 years down the road.
gman84 liked this
 #53708  by apaladin
 Mon May 23, 2022 10:54 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:49 am
apaladin wrote:
The answer to your questions is obvious. AD’s have no idea what is going to happen with the college football landscape today, much less 3 years down the road.
No reason not to schedule some FCS games. 2024 is only 2 years away. We need 2 games. Those games should be scheduled by now.
 #53716  by Sad Din
 Mon May 23, 2022 8:24 pm
Facility priority projects:

1. End zone - weight room, entertainment space, boxes
2. Timmons
3. Another turf field probably for soccer/lax
 #53721  by FUBeAR
 Tue May 24, 2022 1:18 am
Sad Din wrote:

2. Timmons
Though he mentioned a prospective end zone facility 1st, FUBeAR’s impression was that Timmons was prioritized ahead of that from an Athletic Department perspective.

But FUBeAR also heard ‘if the Football Alumni want to pay for (as is so often (and quite successfully) the case) the end zone facility, we’ll build it.’

Mighta been listening between the lines…
apaladin liked this
 #53727  by FUpaladin08
 Tue May 24, 2022 9:32 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:18 am
Sad Din wrote:

2. Timmons
Though he mentioned a prospective end zone facility 1st, FUBeAR’s impression was that Timmons was prioritized ahead of that from an Athletic Department perspective.

But FUBeAR also heard ‘if the Football Alumni want to pay for (as is so often (and quite successfully) the case) the end zone facility, we’ll build it.’

Mighta been listening between the lines…
That’s how I heard it. End zone project was mentioned as part of football improvements, but not as a priority for the entire Athletic Dept.
apaladin liked this
 #53733  by FUpaladin08
 Wed May 25, 2022 12:14 pm
Curious about everyone’s take on the Thursday night game after the AD explanation. Regardless of the non-FCS opponent; having the opportunity for more student engagement vs a Saturday game and as a kickoff event for the university, close opponent to increase possibility of visitor stand tickets, and getting ahead of Labor Day travel plans. I thought those were good answers to the question of “why Thursday.” Also liked hearing it was CCH idea and he’s open to trying new things to increase engagement.
 #53734  by Affirm
 Wed May 25, 2022 12:27 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Curious about everyone’s take on the Thursday night game after the AD explanation. Regardless of the non-FCS opponent; having the opportunity for more student engagement vs a Saturday game and as a kickoff event for the university, close opponent to increase possibility of visitor stand tickets, and getting ahead of Labor Day travel plans. I thought those were good answers to the question of “why Thursday.” Also liked hearing it was CCH idea and he’s open to trying new things to increase engagement.
My take is positive.
 #53747  by Davemeister
 Thu May 26, 2022 9:15 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
I thought those were good answers to the question of “why Thursday.” Also liked hearing it was CCH idea and he’s open to trying new things to increase engagement.

Good answers to a legitimate question. We'll find out Sept.1 if it was a good idea.
 #53749  by Flagman
 Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 am
I’ve voiced this before. Definitely not a fan of a Thursday night game that has no national or even regional TV exposure. So we might get few more students for the first quarter and reach the thriving crossroad of Tigerville and the results of the game might be printed in the Greenville Day-old News on the following Tuesday, since Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday are Clemson days. Working fans from out of town won’t be able to go because they’ll have to work on Friday. Hoping I’m wrong.

Jason did say something about people planning their extra activities around Furman football, instead of just fitting it in when it’s convenient. I’ve been doing that for 37 years. FUATT!

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.