#53434  by The Jackal
 Tue May 10, 2022 6:48 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:23 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:43 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:17 am
Which position do you think needed the biggest upgrade?
Gosh….we all gonna have to cogitate on this question for quite a good while. We don’t want to get our answers all turnt round on one another, y’know.
Yep. I see what you did there

And yes. - PASSING THREAT. QB to WR and pass pro. But mainly QB. I think the pass pro was ok sometimes over the last few years and we would just throw it at a receivers feet. Recall that Citadel game. Man, Something like 4-19 in passing or so. Just horrible. They were leaving WRs wide open and we couldn’t complete a pass. I like the running threat of Wilson though we may play the PC kid? But QB has to improve now. If Jace is better then play him

I expect the best QB is going to play. I would have to think they'd prefer to redshirt one of the three.

Wilson probably goes into fall camp as the presumptive starter. He played a good bit last year and was the only one of the three that participated in spring practice. Honestly, if Wilson had a full preseason before last season, he might have been our starter out of the gate.

Wilson's passing numbers weren't bad last season. I think some of what you saw was inexperience of getting thrown into D1 football games as a true freshman. Obviously, Furman fans would like to get away from having to play freshmen early, but he showed a lot of promise.

Another note - looks like Wilson has gained about 10 pounds since he got to Furman. Hendrix mentioned in one of his interviews that Wilson gaining strength and the ability to break some of those arm tackles would do a lot for the offense and his ability to impact the game as a runner.
 #53648  by FUBeAR
 Fri May 20, 2022 12:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:18 pm
Furman announces the Michigan State TE https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2022/5/ ... nsfer.aspx

Just notable that he is a grad transfer that is enrolled in Furman's Master of Arts in Strategic Design. Furman began that program, based on press reports, in 2019.

Is this the first football player to transfer in as a graduate student?
Think the PC QB transfer will be a grad student also.

Prior Players (at least one that FUBeAR knows well) have been enrolled in a Furman-sponsored grad program while Playing Football for the Paladins…as far back as 1982.
Affirm liked this
 #53650  by The Jackal
 Fri May 20, 2022 1:47 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Furman announces the Michigan State TE https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2022/5/ ... nsfer.aspx

Just notable that he is a grad transfer that is enrolled in Furman's Master of Arts in Strategic Design. Furman began that program, based on press reports, in 2019.

Think the PC QB transfer will be a grad student also.

Prior Players (at least one that FUBeAR knows well) have been enrolled in a Furman-sponsored grad program while Playing Football for the Paladins…as far back as 1982.
I assume over the decades some of the football team has been in a grad program at the school.

I would think these two players are among the first players to graduate from another school and transfer to Furman as a grad student to play football.
 #53652  by Furmanoid
 Fri May 20, 2022 2:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Way to go FU! MS in Strategic Design. Lol. Didn’t think we had it in us.
tim liked this
 #53663  by AstroDin
 Sat May 21, 2022 7:20 am
The new MFA program is stellar —if you're a marketing major or have any interest in marketing, not to mention design, this program will be exclusive and attractive to grad transfers. Also, these programs are not cheap, last time I looked at SCAD It would cost me well over 40K to get my Master's.

I believe Tyler Huff is also going into this program; I'd look for this program to draw in some future FB and BB grad transfers from Power 5 schools consistantly.
Affirm, dornb liked this
 #53664  by FUBeAR
 Sat May 21, 2022 7:24 am
AstroDin wrote:
The new MFA program is stellar —if you're a marketing major or have any interest in marketing, not to mention design, this program will be exclusive and attractive to grad transfers. Also, these programs are not cheap, last time I looked at SCAD It would cost me well over 40K to get my Master's.

I believe Tyler Huff is also going into this program; I'd look for this program to draw in some future FB and BB grad transfers from Power 5 schools consistantly.
Only cuz it’s a post about academics…

*consistently
AstroDin liked this
 #53665  by Furmanoid
 Sat May 21, 2022 7:58 am
AstroDin wrote:

I wonder if it’s cheaper at FU. The thing I like about it is that it’s fuzzy enough that they can probably accept people with lots of different undergraduate backgrounds. We now have something to offer to all those business, communications and even art majors. We already had all the future coaches covered with the MAT. Those 2 programs could probably take care of most potential players.

For homework, somebody figure out the most common major for football and basketball players.
 #53667  by AstroDin
 Sat May 21, 2022 9:39 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:24 am
AstroDin wrote:

Only cuz it’s a post about academics…

*consistently
I won't deny being sloppy and lazy with my writing… ;-)
 #53668  by AstroDin
 Sat May 21, 2022 9:51 am
Furmanoid wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

I wonder if it’s cheaper at FU. The thing I like about it is that it’s fuzzy enough that they can probably accept people with lots of different undergraduate backgrounds. We now have something to offer to all those business, communications and even art majors. We already had all the future coaches covered with the MAT. Those 2 programs could probably take care of most potential players.

For homework, somebody figure out the most common major for football and basketball players.
I would not consider the new Furman MFA program a price deal or easy. I've been an advisor on two end-of-semester critiques, and the project work is intense, and the work results I've seen are impressive.

Design is a tricky term to put in a box. Almost everything we touch and consume has an aspect of design to it. Your iPhone, a seltzer can, an app, and on and on. This program IMO is a smart offer for Furman. You have to have the foundation of teaching to pull off something like this—Furman does. You also need a conducive environment — Furman has the Roe Art Building.
Affirm liked this
 #53674  by Furmanoid
 Sat May 21, 2022 1:09 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

I would not consider the new Furman MFA program a price deal or easy. I've been an advisor on two end-of-semester critiques, and the project work is intense, and the work results I've seen are impressive.

Design is a tricky term to put in a box. Almost everything we touch and consume has an aspect of design to it. Your iPhone, a seltzer can, an app, and on and on. This program IMO is a smart offer for Furman. You have to have the foundation of teaching to pull off something like this—Furman does. You also need a conducive environment — Furman has the Roe Art Building.
So the design thing is an MFA? That’s a terminal degree. Our football players could end as professors!
 #53679  by FUBeAR
 Sat May 21, 2022 7:46 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:09 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

So the design thing is an MFA? That’s a terminal degree. Our football players could end as professors!
Nothing new - Off the top of FUBeAR’s head, he can name 4 Teammates that are or have been Professors - 2 History…or 1 one of those may have been English Lit (kinda the same if we consider the various versions of “History” we now must consider - a maximum of 1 of those versions is NOT Literature), 1 Biology, 1 Finance (adjunct), if not mistaken.
 #53680  by AstroDin
 Sat May 21, 2022 8:23 pm
Here is the link to the program… Out of an old habit (BA-BFA), I said the wrong thing calling this an MFA.
It's a MASD… Masters in Strategic Design. Which has IMO more future incoming value for a graduate.
These grad portfolio programs ran out of the Portfolio Center in Atlanta and the Miami Ad School for years.
This isn't a painting/graphic arts master's program. This program is for students who want to graduate with a fantastic portfolio and get hired in the creative space. It could happen, but I doubt these grads would teach. Sorry if I confused you all.
https://www.furman.edu/graduate-studies ... ic-design/
 #53682  by AllTimeFU
 Sun May 22, 2022 9:04 am
Best returning QB & RB duos in the FCS this 2022 season.
Accounting for over 2000 combined yards and 14 total touchdowns over the last 6 games of the season. The true freshman & redshirt sophomore helped Furman Finish the season with a 4-2 record & look to lead