• NIL ‘ripples’ - How does it Affect FU, SoCon, and FCS Football

#48874  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:28 pm
Saban and Smart today called for regulations on NIL. Even the top dogs realize this is not good for college football. They said you’re going to have the “haves” and “have nots”. We all knew this was going to get out of hand but I think it did quicker than we thought. Blatantly paying players was not supposed to be what the NIL was about.
They both know that their schools can quickly become “have nots”. A scad of devoted middle class fans ain’t gonna do it. You need billionaires. Stanford, Oregon, Michigan, Arkansas and several others have billionaires.
 #48918  by Deputy
 Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:40 pm
I think the NIL is at its high point right now. The stars will get paid, they always have. But for the vast majority I don't think this will last long. I really don't think anyone is influenced where a college student eats a breakfast biscuit, or where they would buy a car. I think many will realize that there is little return on investment, and that the only folks that can legitimize it are the folks that are huge supporters that were passing money under the table anyway.
FurmAlum liked this
 #53454  by apaladin
 Thu May 12, 2022 12:23 am
Probably means he will be leaving. BE will shop him around and see what schools will offer and who is willing to pay the most. What a shame that college sports have become pro sports for the most part. Let me say I am not opposed to what the NIL was supposed to be. Of course it never was what it was supposed to be from the get go.
 #53462  by Furmanoid
 Thu May 12, 2022 9:12 am
I think SC law forbids the use of school uniforms and logos in NIL stuff. So this is maybe an effort to dodge that. Not more than a few handfuls of players nationwide would be recognizable to anybody without their uniform on, so they need tricks like this if they are to have any marketing value. For most, the image and likeness sans uniform is pretty worthless. But it doesn’t matter because they are being paid to play football. The boss doesn’t care if the image doesn’t sell a single widget.

Perhaps our guy is planning to try legit NIL selling chicken nuggets or cars or something in the Greenville area. That’s why he needs the purple shirt. Without it nobody would have a clue who he his.
 #53463  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 12, 2022 10:25 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:12 am
I think SC law forbids the use of school uniforms and logos in NIL stuff. So this is maybe an effort to dodge that. Not more than a few handfuls of players nationwide would be recognizable to anybody without their uniform on, so they need tricks like this if they are to have any marketing value. For most, the image and likeness sans uniform is pretty worthless. But it doesn’t matter because they are being paid to play football. The boss doesn’t care if the image doesn’t sell a single widget.

Perhaps our guy is planning to try legit NIL selling chicken nuggets or cars or something in the Greenville area. That’s why he needs the purple shirt. Without it nobody would have a clue who he his.
The SC Law said this about the IP issues involved…

“An intercollegiate athlete at an institution of higher learning may not use the institution of higher learning’s facilities, uniforms provided by the institution of higher learning, or the institution of higher learning’s intellectual property, including, but not limited to, the unauthorized use of a registered trademark or product protected by copyright, in connection with the use of the intercollegiate athlete’s name, image, or likeness activities.”

…but it also said this…

“An institution of higher learning may not use or allow boosters to directly or indirectly create or facilitate compensation opportunities for the use of an intercollegiate athlete’s name, image, or likeness as a recruiting inducement or as a means of paying for athletics participation.”

…about booster involvement, which hampered the tiggers and the cocks compared to the professional NCAA teams affiliated with universities in other states…so the SC House has voted (in March - https://www.live5news.com/2022/03/17/s ... ent-deals/) to suspend the law and remove any such annoying ‘guardrails.’ Couldn’t find an update that this has also passed in the SC Senate…but FUBeAR is confident that it will, if it hasn’t already.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu May 12, 2022 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #53465  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 12, 2022 10:41 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:33 am
FUBeaR, so what you are saying is anything goes and CU and SC are free to pay players whatever they want.
 #53470  by Roundball
 Thu May 12, 2022 2:59 pm
apaladin wrote:
FUBeaR, so what you are saying is anything goes and CU and SC are free to pay players whatever they want.
Technically, the schools are not paying the players. The boosters are paying the big $. The schools did not ask for NIL, but are now having to deal with the issues. It's a mess.
 #53473  by FUBeAR
 Thu May 12, 2022 4:15 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 2:59 pm
apaladin wrote:
Technically, the schools are not paying the players. The boosters are paying the big $. The schools did not ask for NIL, but are now having to deal with the issues. It's a mess.
Technically, at the NCAA Professional level, the schools are not paying (most of) the Head Coach’s compensation either.

Just as (now) with the Players, the Boosters write the BIG checks…and just as Boosters have hired/fired Coaches & AD’s because they ‘owned’ them, they will now be making decisions about Playing time, Coaching Strategy…

“Lookie here Hoss, I’m paying that boy $2mm a year to have his hindquarters on that field and to mention Big Sam’s Commercial Construction during his post-game interview on ESPN. You better get that other’n out and put my boy back there taking the snap…And, don’t you even think about calling a running play…if you like YOUR job.”….

…and so much more…

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.