• 2019 Mystery Game revealed

#5304  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 pm
On the CCH show tonight he mentioned that we open with Charleston Southern next year who we have never played. It's won't be the opening game but he prolly meant the first home game. So right now we know:
8/31 at VPI
9/7 at Georgia State
9/14 Charleston Southern(Guess)
9/21 at Colgate(Guess)
So we now know the 4 OOC games next year and we will have 5 home and 7 away.
I hope there is no return game to CSU. They have the worst stadium in D1 football. It was actually voted as the worst.
I guess something could change with the Colgate game since they cancelled this year. Probably not since we have another home and home with them in '21 and '22.
 #5307  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:57 pm
VTech can't defend the option. You know what I mean if you watched football tonight - That was an embarrassment to a school that prides itself on D and special teams. Or they did
DeepPurple, Paul C liked this
 #5308  by din23
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:17 am
apaladin wrote:
On the CCH show tonight he mentioned that we open with Charleston Southern next year who we have never played. It's won't be the opening game but he prolly meant the first home game. So right now we know:
8/31 at VPI
9/7 at Georgia State
9/21 at Colgate(Guess)
I hope there is no return game to CSU. They have the worst stadium in D1 football. It was actually voted as the worst.
I guess something could change with the Colgate game since they cancelled this year. Probably not since we have another home and home with them in '21 and '22.
Where do you get the info that we play at Colgate again? We had a home/home with Colgate for '17 and '18 and, according to FBschedules.com, we have another in '21 and '22. https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/furman/

I wouldn't be opposed to games against Big South, CAA, and other local-ish FCS schools. Perhaps we can get a few home games with PC to pad the win total after they drop scholarships but still count as a D1 game.
 #5311  by Yadkin
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:41 am
This being 2018 and all, we’re not going to get a home game with someone like Charleston Southern without a return date at some point to their place. That’s reality in today’s FCS scheduling world.
 #5315  by Affirm
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:17 am
din23 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
8/31 at VPI
9/7 at Georgia State
9/21 at Colgate(Guess)
Where do you get the info that we play at Colgate again? We had a home/home with Colgate for '17 and '18 and, according to FBschedules.com, we have another in '21 and '22. https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/furman/

I wouldn't be opposed to games against Big South, CAA, and other local-ish FCS schools. Perhaps we can get a few home games with PC to pad the win total after they drop scholarships but still count as a D1 game.
How about if we schedule some home games vs Jacksonville (FL), Stetson, and Davidson to hopefully pad the win total? Would those still count as D1 games? They are FCS. ... And I still think we should schedule some games, home and/or away, vs. the likes of Georgetown Hoyas, Penn, Princeton, Columbia Lions, Yale, Harvard, SUNY Albany, Brown, Villanova, etc. Yes, I realize the distance, but I think having one of those every 2 to 4 years would be worth the expense for various reasons. ... And I still wish we could schedule Richmond and/or W&M, perhaps once every 2 to 4 years against one of those 2 schools. Likewise Elon on a similar frequency. ... And Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Delaware, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Towson, etc., occasionally. ... Similarly, I wish we could go play Army and/or Air Force and/or Navy some time over the next 10 years, though I realize (or I guess) it would be a financial loss. Those could be a gain in terms of publicity, recognition, and interest.
... I expect we will schedule schools such as SC State, CSU, PC, Gardner Webb, and Kennesaw due to proximity, etc. I want us to ALSO set our sights beyond those, to the extent feasible.
gofurman liked this
 #5317  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:23 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:17 am
din23 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
8/31 at VPI
9/7 at Georgia State
9/21 at Colgate(Guess)

How about if we schedule some home games vs Jacksonville (FL), Stetson, and Davidson to hopefully pad the win total? Would those still count as D1 games? They are FCS. ... And I still think we should schedule some games, home and/or away, vs. the likes of Georgetown Hoyas, Penn, Princeton, Columbia Lions, Yale, Harvard, SUNY Albany, Brown, Villanova, etc. Yes, I realize the distance, but I think having one of those every 2 to 4 years would be worth the expense for various reasons. ... And I still wish we could schedule Richmond and/or W&M, perhaps once every 2 to 4 years against one of those 2 schools. Likewise Elon on a similar frequency. ... And Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Delaware, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Towson, etc., occasionally. ... Similarly, I wish we could go play Army and/or Air Force and/or Navy some time over the next 10 years, though I realize (or I guess) it would be a financial loss. Those could be a gain in terms of publicity, recognition, and interest.
... I expect we will schedule schools such as SC State, CSU, PC, Gardner Webb, and Kennesaw due to proximity, etc. I want us to ALSO set our sights beyond those, to the extent feasible.

Furman - and I don't think this is even close - consistently produces the best schedule in the SoCon.

I do go back and forth, though. I'm sort of tired of seeing Furman play a slobberknocker schedule while some of our brethren get to October before playing a decent FCS team.

Maybe it's better to "join 'em" and schedule some D1 wins we can put in the bank.
Jasper, gofurman liked this
 #5323  by Yadkin
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:18 am
Although the admissions office I’m sure would like more games vs. Northeast teams, the bottom line I’m betting is to fly there is quite expensive and when desire doesn’t come with a checkbook to make it happen...it’s probably not going to happen on a regular basis.

PC and Chuck Southern are affordable FCS games. The key words there are AFFORDABLE and FCS. I don’t think we’ve ever played CSU.
 #5324  by MNORM
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:24 am
apaladin wrote:
8/31 at VPI
9/7 at Georgia State
9/21 at Colgate(Guess)
We do NOT play Colgate in 2019. We play Kennesaw State on the road.
 #5325  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:54 am
Don't know why I was thinking we had to return the Colgate game next year. My bad. TheKennesaw St. game has been pushed back to 2023. Was sure we knew 3 OOC games before but now can't remember the 3rd one Anyone remember?
We now have:
@VPI
@Georgia St.
CSU
Who is the 4th OOC game?
 #5326  by MNORM
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:58 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:54 am
Don't know why I was thinking we had to return the Colgate game next year. My bad. TheKennesaw St. game has been pushed back to 2023. Was sure we knew 3 OOC games before but now can't remember the 3rd one Anyone remember?
We now have:
@VPI
@Georgia St.
CSU
Who is the 4th OOC game?
Didn't realize it had been pushed back...KSU still has it listed on their website.
 #5327  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:25 am
Prolly just hasn't been updated. On FBS schedules for 2019 they have added Shorter. Furman is showing in 2023, not 2019.
 #5347  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:33 pm
I am getting to the point where I agree w Jackal. We need to schedule a little easier. Get a WIN.

Wofford keeps making playoffs by going 2-1 vs Wyoming, PC and Gardner Webb. We need to schedule a Gardner Webb. Clemson / Elon is just a dangerous 0-2 possibility and then leaves us no,margin for error.

Colgate. Ok. But add a Gardner Webb or SC State or winnable game. Let's get started at 2-1
 #5349  by AstroDin
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 pm
I like us scheduling tough matchups - as we get more experienced these games will help with playoff seeding and prep.
I'd also like to think the players want to see how they match up against teams like Elon, and Colgate. I would love to see Furman get back to scheduling Richmond, W&M, JMU.

I'd love easy wins too, but I believe the Furman teams of 2019-2020 and beyond will be trouble for any FCS team.
 #5350  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:31 pm
The reason we don't know who our 4th OOC game is next year is because there isn't one. Apparently we are going to play only 11 games instead of 12 like everyone else. When the Kennesaw State game was moved it was not replaced. Hard to believe we can't find a replacement game in well over a year(since the KSU game was moved). Why can't we pick up a Davidson or someone similar. This means we will have 2 "bye" weeks next year and still 5 home 6 away. Also puts us at a disadvantage for the playoffs playing one less game than everyone else. :?

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.