• 4* Star Guard commits to Furman

#53080  by Fuonetime
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:21 am
I’m thrilled with the signing of Carter Whitt. Better than I expected. Regarding his shooting, i do think it will improve significantly at FU. Shooting is a matter of technique, getting open (unless free throwing shooting) and confidence. I believe CBR is a master of building confidence in a player and Carter will be a big beneficiary of his coaching. Also, coming from the same high school as Alex Hunter, Carter may have thought, “gee if Alex can improve that much at FU, what can happen to me?” Success beats success. One of our best resources is the development of our players. Recruits see it and believe it. Regarding Wake Forest, Some schools are just not a good fit for some players. I believe good ole FU will be a perfect fit for Carter. He’s probably got a chip on his shoulder with something to prove. Now lets move on the next project: the renovation of Timmons. Get ‘er done! And don't forget Dins Day 22 is next Tuesday. Make those gifts. It’s fuel to get our purple fires bright. Can I get as Stone Cold would say a “hell yeah?’ Go FU! The best of times are ahead!
 #53081  by The Jackal
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:27 am
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:34 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:53 am
I'm really surprised by the griping after CBR is able to nab a 4-star recruit. He obviously has a huge upside if he was recruited by the likes of Alabama, Virginia, Michigan, etc... Also, if he is a year younger, that can also make a huge difference. It sounds like he could have probably benefitted from a redshirt year to adjust to the college game. If there is one thing CBR has excelled at, it's player development. We now have 3 fairly solid PG's in Pegues, Whitt, and Anderson - I imagine Whitt will also be able to spell Bothwell if he can work on his shot. Whitt has the potential to be a huge playmaker with upside. Give him a chance before judging him on 7 FT's and a limited sophomore campaign.

Could you point to one post in which someone disagreed with the decision to take Whitt as a transfer?

It's 100% normal and expected that fans would look at the prior career of a transfer player. Typical strawman building, with Jackal of course there is an endless straw supply, no need for others to do the same.

Twaddlespeak.

In-his-prime Lamar Jackson could have transferred to Furman from Louisville and you and your confederates would highlight how many interceptions he threw or whether he made a poor decision against Pitt that one time.

What you do is not "100% normal." It's 100% annoying.
hypercycloid, MNORM liked this
 #53082  by furpop16
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:31 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:16 am
It would have been interesting to hear the conversation between Coach Richey and Coach Forbes.

Imagine all the highly rated HS recruits who - for any number of reasons - don’t immediately blossom at their P5’s. Up until yesterday I’d been thinking of The Portal only as a vacuum sucking at the best mid-major players as their opportunity to move-up. We do a good job with Carter Whitt and guess which program becomes the #1 option for any top-flight recruit needing just a little more time? Boy-oh-boy!!
Last edited by furpop16 on Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuonetime and 1 others liked this
 #53083  by Furmanoid
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:42 am
The Jackal wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
I'm really surprised by the griping after CBR is able to nab a 4-star recruit. He obviously has a huge upside if he was recruited by the likes of Alabama, Virginia, Michigan, etc... Also, if he is a year younger, that can also make a huge difference. It sounds like he could have probably benefitted from a redshirt year to adjust to the college game. If there is one thing CBR has excelled at, it's player development. We now have 3 fairly solid PG's in Pegues, Whitt, and Anderson - I imagine Whitt will also be able to spell Bothwell if he can work on his shot. Whitt has the potential to be a huge playmaker with upside. Give him a chance before judging him on 7 FT's and a limited sophomore campaign.

Could you point to one post in which someone disagreed with the decision to take Whitt as a transfer?

It's 100% normal and expected that fans would look at the prior career of a transfer player. Typical strawman building, with Jackal of course there is an endless straw supply, no need for others to do the same.

Twaddlespeak.

In-his-prime Lamar Jackson could have transferred to Furman from Louisville and you and your confederates would highlight how many interceptions he threw or whether he made a poor decision against Pitt that one time.

I rise to the defense of youwouldknow. When I looked at this fellow’s stats I thought they were misprinted. I’m still not sure. They are pretty bad, and he played a good bit. So this IS a head scratcher. But hopefully and probably CBR knows something we don’t know. Or maybe he’s changing the offense to de-emphasize outside shooting in favor of penetrating and dumping off.
 #53084  by RaleighDin
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:46 am
I know this didn't factor into the decision, but another angle to think about...

Carter's tweet announcing his commitment to Furman has over 800 likes on Twitter - don't know if I've ever seen FU Bball break 100 likes. Typically in the 50-60 range for good tweets.

He also single handedly has 1/3 the number of followers of our twitter account. Bringing someone in with that kind of following certainly can't hurt from a program awareness standpoint.
 #53085  by Paladin91
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:22 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:

You clearly stated the kid doesn't shoot well and is a development project. That man not be disagreeing with CBR decision, but it's certainly questioning it. If the kid truly was a development project, he wouldn't have received the kind of interest from major colleges that he did out of HS. Stats don't tell the whole picture - he joined the team after Christmas of 2020, in the middle of the season, after graduating HS. Let's just say Steve Forbes threw him into a ring of fire - the kid had no adjustment time to the college game. Nobody expects instant offense, but I imagine he will put up more points in his 3rd year with FU than his first two years at Wake.
https://www.si.com/college/2021/03/03/w ... aily-cover
Last edited by Paladin91 on Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #53086  by Paladin91
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:24 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:22 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:

You clearly stated the kid doesn't shoot well and is a development project. That may not be disagreeing with CBR decision, but it's certainly questioning it. If the kid truly was a development project, he wouldn't have received the kind of interest from major colleges that he did out of HS. Stats don't tell the whole picture - he joined the team after Christmas of 2020, in the middle of the season, after graduating HS. Let's just say Steve Forbes threw him into a ring of fire - the kid had no adjustment time to the college game. Nobody expects instant offense, but I imagine he will put up more points in his 3rd year with FU than his first two years at Wake.
https://www.si.com/college/2021/03/03/w ... aily-cover
 #53087  by Paladin91
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:30 pm
RaleighDin wrote:
I know this didn't factor into the decision, but another angle to think about...

Carter's tweet announcing his commitment to Furman has over 800 likes on Twitter - don't know if I've ever seen FU Bball break 100 likes. Typically in the 50-60 range for good tweets.

He also single handedly has 1/3 the number of followers of our twitter account. Bringing someone in with that kind of following certainly can't hurt from a program awareness standpoint.
Agreed, he is the highest profile basketball player in some time. This definitely does not hurt the recruiting circuit - this is how you build the program into a reputable mid-major
Fuonetime liked this
 #53088  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:59 pm
RaleighDin wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:55 am
Bottom line is we needed a 4th guard, and landing Carter Whitt far exceeded my expectations for who we'd be able to land. We just got an elite ball handler and passer. To be honest, when DR had him listed, I never even considered him an actual possibility - happy to say I was WRONG :D it almost feels like we landed a big time commitment and certain fans are already trying to figure out what's wrong with him and why he would choose us? Don't forget that fit is a big deal, and after having gone to Wake for 2 years, he had a much better idea what he wants than he did as a senior in high school.

Ironically I remember a few years ago seeing his highlights pop up on YouTube and thinking he seemed like a good fit for FU, until I saw his offer list and star rating. Happy to see how this all fits together now, never thought I'd get the chance.

Lastly, way too early lineups?
Whitt
Pegues
Bothwell
Foster/Hien
Slawson

Anderson
Hughey
Lawrence
Williams
Repass

... who am I forgetting and what am I missing? Seems like we could play 10 next year.

To go along with those 11, the other 2 scholarship players we will have will be the incoming freshmen 6'7 Ben VanderWal and 6'6 Davis Molnar

That 13 man roster seems like it could be potentially be a dominate force in the SoCon if we stay healthy
furpop16, Fuonetime liked this
 #53091  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:14 pm
RaleighDin wrote:

Indeed Carter's tweet seems to somehow rival us beating Villanova and Louisville lol :lol:

#53093  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:21 pm
I also like the fact our team is going to be much bigger overall than this past season, size matters

Joe Anderson 6'0
JP Pegues 6'1
Carter Whitt 6'3
Mike Bothwell 6'3
Marcus Foster 6'4
Alex Williams 6'5
Davis Molnar 6'6
Tyrese Hughey 6'6
Ben VanderWal 6'7
Jalen Slawson 6'7
Garrett Hien 6'9
Jonny Lawrence 6'10
James Repass 6'10
 #53100  by youwouldno
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:15 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Twaddlespeak.

Reprinting my take --

Interesting pick-up. His numbers at Wake were . . . not great, though he did have high assist and defensive rebounding rates. Of course the Paladins wouldn't have brought him on unless they had confidence in his future development.

Could you explain in "clearspeak" what about this post was wrong?

If anyone took my statement to mean I opposed the move, well, you're stupid as shit. Granted, not news in Jackals' case. It couldn't possibly be more clear that I was only looking at his background out of curiosity. Sorry for being a nerd that actually finds sports statistics to be interesting, my bad, that's totally improper for a sports message board.

How about this Jackal - if you can find one post of mine (in the history of the forum) where I actually disapproved of ANY Furman signee or transfer, in any sport, I will immediately donate $500 to the basketball program that I otherwise would have spent on myself, and will post the receipt here.

If you can't find one, well, I know you'll continue to be a dick regardless, so whatever.
 #53105  by FurmAlum
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:52 pm
Whitt looks like a good transfer in to me. Give the guy a break, he was a young player at Wake. Sometimes it takes some time for young players to develop. As for the shooting, Joe Anderson had a bad first year shooting and BAM! His sophomore year was fantastic. He just needs to practice his ass off shooting the ball this summer and Coach Richey and staff will give him the coaching and confidence that he needs to improve.

Based on the list of players that DR posted, one thing is for sure. There is going to be tremendous competition for playing time next year. The only sure starters are Bothwell and Slawson, although Foster and Hien should have the inside track based on previous experience.
Fuonetime liked this
 #53109  by gofurman
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:59 pm
RaleighDin wrote:

Great PR.. like it !!!! GoFurman !!