• 4* Star Guard commits to Furman

#53065  by PaladinPower
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:22 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:17 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:09 pm
When a player gets such sporadic and brief playing time, stats are worthless. Worse than worthless.

3 of 7 from the line over the course of a season?

C’mon GF you’re better than that.

Actually Whitt played a fair amount. He played around 20 mpg in 2021 conference play and then about 10 mpg throughout the 2022 season. For 2022, he played basically the same number of minutes as JP Pegues. And Pegues was still able to hit his shots.

Whitt clearly has a lot of upside but he's a development project, not instant offense like many on here seem to think.
I agree that he is going to need to develop of earn some time on this team of talented guards. I just find it odd that he received a plethora of offers (nearly all Power 5s) just to be a project. He was ranked as a top 15 PG in the country!! I imagine playing in the Socon will be a needed adjustment for him and he will shine. He could technically be the highest ranked recruit to ever choose Furman which is promising.
apaladin liked this
 #53066  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:43 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Paul C wrote:
When a player gets such sporadic and brief playing time, stats are worthless. Worse than worthless.

Actually Whitt played a fair amount. He played around 20 mpg in 2021 conference play and then about 10 mpg throughout the 2022 season. For 2022, he played basically the same number of minutes as JP Pegues. And Pegues was still able to hit his shots.

Whitt clearly has a lot of upside but he's a development project, not instant offense like many on here seem to think.
I agree that he is going to need to develop of earn some time on this team of talented guards. I just find it odd that he received a plethora of offers (nearly all Power 5s) just to be a project. He was ranked as a top 15 PG in the country!! I imagine playing in the Socon will be a needed adjustment for him and he will shine. He could technically be the highest ranked recruit to ever choose Furman which is promising.
x
x
Yes, I am (better than that) - I hereby apologize ON THE FT STAT.\\ AGAIN, as I daggum said prior, I just recalled this kid couldn't hit the side of the rim many times. At least in the past at WF. And the stats bear out my memory. I shoulda looked further in the FT column but I knew he was the guy ACC teams would leave open ;) . He was.

that said, the other stats hold. For all this kids press clippings, it wouldnt be hyperbole to say he STUNK at shooting.

9 - 41 from three.last year. TWENTY TWO PERCENT. I would leave him out there all day until he hits two... and several ACC teams did. And he couldnt make the shots. So it was essentially 4 on 5 and WF had to pull him out. These are numbers and do NOT LIE. I will easily grant the percent would be a little more relevant if he took 100 threes than 41 but 41 is something...

MORE IMPORTANTLY is his TOTAL FG PERCENT - 21 for 73. OK, so now he shot 73. That's fairly statistically relevant. And he hit a whooping TWENTY NINE PERCENT. TWENTY NINE.

A good college player should be a 43+ / 34+ / 75+ .... (following on the NBA All-star line of 50 / 40 / 90).

I HOPE WHITT is the best thing I have ever seen, But he better be working on that shot - ESPECIALLY in our three heavy offense !!! you shoot 32% from three (which would be good for him, he did that his first year) and it could limit your floor time.

From what I watched - I probably saw 8+ games with him - his vision is very good. I admit I was surprised at the 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. He's going to have to improve that too !

Look at the game log:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... rter-whitt

He hit 9 of 41 threes. Four of those were in one game... vs USC Upstate. Five the entire rest of the year.
 #53067  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:52 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:43 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Paul C wrote:

x
x
Yes, I am (better than that) - I hereby apologize ON THE FT STAT.\\ AGAIN, as I daggum said prior, I just recalled this kid couldn't hit the side of the rim many times. At least in the past at WF. And the stats bear out my memory. I shoulda looked further in the FT column but I knew he was the guy ACC teams would leave open ;) . He was.

that said, the other stats hold. For all this kids press clippings, it wouldnt be hyperbole to say he STUNK at shooting.

9 - 41 from three.last year. TWENTY TWO PERCENT. I would leave him out there all day until he hits two... and several ACC teams did. And he couldnt make the shots. So it was essentially 4 on 5 and WF had to pull him out. These are numbers and do NOT LIE. I will easily grant the percent would be a little more relevant if he took 100 threes than 41 but 41 is something...

MORE IMPORTANTLY is his TOTAL FG PERCENT - 21 for 73. OK, so now he shot 73. That's fairly statistically relevant. And he hit a whooping TWENTY NINE PERCENT. TWENTY NINE.

A good college player should be a 43+ / 34+ / 75+ .... (following on the NBA All-star line of 50 / 40 / 90).

I HOPE WHITT is the best thing I have ever seen, But he better be working on that shot - ESPECIALLY in our three heavy offense !!! you shoot 32% from three (which would be good for him, he did that his first year) and it could limit your floor time.

From what I watched - I probably saw 8+ games with him - his vision is very good. I admit I was surprised at the 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. He's going to have to improve that too !

Look at the game log:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... rter-whitt

He hit 9 of 41 threes. Four of those were in one game... vs USC Upstate. Five the entire rest of the year.

I hope Paladin Power is spot on. Maybe moving to the SoCon is just what he needs. Again, I hope he is super stud!!!
The defenses will not have Bacot and Mark Williams and 7 NBA guys or super college defenders (Wendell Moore or Leaky Black etc) staring you down on the wing... less length and athleticism to deal with.
 #53068  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:55 pm
and youwouldno has a point ... in his first year he got 20+ minutes a game. That's enough to be comfortable out there and hit shots.

Anyway, I hope he is a KILLER for us !!! Especially since he is here 3 years ! Don't read my prior comments wrong. I just got a little irritated at the singular focus on my FT error. The fact remains he shoots POORLY (and that is generous)...

Hopefully a new start with Richey is just what he needs !!
 #53069  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:02 pm
He averaged 23 points in high school so if he is that bad at shooting he had to shoot a lot I guess. 😳 Would love to hear CBR’s comments. Maybe we will get a podcast sooner rather than later. Dan, could you please go camp out at CBR’s house? 😂😂
 #53070  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:09 pm
tya1 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:55 pm
Joe Anderson hit only 20% of his FTs this year. That can happen when you only take 5 FTs all year. What does that tell us about his shooting ability. He also hit almost 47% of his threes. Maybe 5 FTs all year isn't a large enough sample size to draw conclusions. Maybe 7 isn't enough either.
Good grief. TYA.. YOU .. PROVE... MY ... POINT. you actually make my point for me.

The FT numbers are skewed by how few each guy took. I fully admit my mistake. Absolutely.

But Anderson then showed his chops with 47% THREE shooting. Whitt -on the other hand - hit TWENTY TWO PERCENT of his threes. Wow, that is BAD.
Hope he is the next killer player. But especially for a our team which is predicated on making threes !! He was 9-41. 4 - 7 of those vs SC Upstate. By my calculations he then went on to mak 5 threes the entire rest of the year shooting a whopping 5 OF 34 not counting vs USC Up. I would leave him open all. day.. long.
 #53071  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:02 pm
He averaged 23 points in high school so if he is that bad at shooting he had to shoot a lot I guess. 😳 Would love to hear CBR’s comments. Maybe we will get a podcast sooner rather than later. Dan, could you please go camp out at CBR’s house? 😂😂
maybe the ACC was just too much. You see that happen some. I have seen guys leave Duke etc and then make the NBA later !! Maybe he was pressed into service too soon? I am not saying this kid won't be All-Socon and the next coming of Clyde Mayes :D ... Just saying his time at Wake wasn't good. You know the ACC defenders are a little more lengthy and athletic. Maybe SoCon / fresh start is just what he needs. Would be interesting to hear BR on this. Why 1:1 assist to TO ratio? That is not good for an aspiring PG. What do they see in him?

Besides 3 star / 4 star is a hazy line.
 #53072  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:23 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:06 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm
some of you all are hilariuos... get a 4 star player, best rated PG in NC in 2020 and are already minimizing him

lets give the kid a chance after all the DII xfer from last year turned out pretty good

IMHO we should be down on our knees TTL for this one!

Dins could have 3-4 legitimate POY candidates on the Team next year. wow just wow!

I agree, this looks like a true diamond in the rough. And assuming DR is correct that "Furman coaching staff > Wake Forest coaching staff", we have just the group to develop him.

That said, it's legitimate to ask what happened at Wake? Is it simply a matter that as a legacy they expected too much of him too soon? And then as DR suggests the coaches didn't have the skill & patience to help him out? That's my hunch as well, but I'm hoping someone here might provide substance ... I mean, if P5 coaches can't develop players then what good are they?

All the writeups on Carter Whitt coming out of HS are glowing about his character as well as his abilities. Great fit for us. If we can get this kid back on track with his potential, man, watch out.
Good question. Love to hear BR address this.
 #53073  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:45 pm
GF relax, the talent is there, we will unlock what Wake Forest was unable to do, build up his frame and give him confidence in his skillset as it works within our system, 100% guaranteed
 #53074  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:49 pm
I feel great knowing that whoever emerges to be our starting PG from Pegues, Whitt, Anderson is going to be a hell of a player
Fuonetime liked this
 #53076  by Paladin91
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:53 am
I'm really surprised by the griping after CBR is able to nab a 4-star recruit. He obviously has a huge upside if he was recruited by the likes of Alabama, Virginia, Michigan, etc... Also, if he is a year younger, that can also make a huge difference. It sounds like he could have probably benefitted from a redshirt year to adjust to the college game. If there is one thing CBR has excelled at, it's player development. We now have 3 fairly solid PG's in Pegues, Whitt, and Anderson - I imagine Whitt will also be able to spell Bothwell if he can work on his shot. Whitt has the potential to be a huge playmaker with upside. Give him a chance before judging him on 7 FT's and a limited sophomore campaign.
Fuonetime liked this
 #53077  by RaleighDin
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:55 am
Bottom line is we needed a 4th guard, and landing Carter Whitt far exceeded my expectations for who we'd be able to land. We just got an elite ball handler and passer. To be honest, when DR had him listed, I never even considered him an actual possibility - happy to say I was WRONG :D it almost feels like we landed a big time commitment and certain fans are already trying to figure out what's wrong with him and why he would choose us? Don't forget that fit is a big deal, and after having gone to Wake for 2 years, he had a much better idea what he wants than he did as a senior in high school.

Ironically I remember a few years ago seeing his highlights pop up on YouTube and thinking he seemed like a good fit for FU, until I saw his offer list and star rating. Happy to see how this all fits together now, never thought I'd get the chance.

Lastly, way too early lineups?
Whitt
Pegues
Bothwell
Foster/Hien
Slawson

Anderson
Hughey
Lawrence
Williams
Repass

... who am I forgetting and what am I missing? Seems like we could play 10 next year.
Roundball, Fuonetime, furpop16 and 2 others liked this
 #53078  by Roundball
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:16 am
RaleighDin wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:55 am
Bottom line is we needed a 4th guard, and landing Carter Whitt far exceeded my expectations for who we'd be able to land. We just got an elite ball handler and passer. To be honest, when DR had him listed, I never even considered him an actual possibility - happy to say I was WRONG :D it almost feels like we landed a big time commitment and certain fans are already trying to figure out what's wrong with him and why he would choose us? Don't forget that fit is a big deal, and after having gone to Wake for 2 years, he had a much better idea what he wants than he did as a senior in high school.

Ironically I remember a few years ago seeing his highlights pop up on YouTube and thinking he seemed like a good fit for FU, until I saw his offer list and star rating. Happy to see how this all fits together now, never thought I'd get the chance.

Lastly, way too early lineups?
Whitt
Pegues
Bothwell
Foster/Hien
Slawson

Anderson
Hughey
Lawrence
Williams
Repass

... who am I forgetting and what am I missing? Seems like we could play 10 next year.
I agree with your comments. It is hard to believe that any Furman fan would go to the extent of picking apart a new member of our team. Coach Richey deserves our complete trust. He knows what he is doing and will take Mr. Whitt and quickly make him a vital member of the team. It would have been interesting to hear the conversation between Coach Richey and Coach Forbes. Looking forward to The Charleston Classic.
din23, MNORM liked this
 #53079  by youwouldno
 Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:34 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:53 am
I'm really surprised by the griping after CBR is able to nab a 4-star recruit. He obviously has a huge upside if he was recruited by the likes of Alabama, Virginia, Michigan, etc... Also, if he is a year younger, that can also make a huge difference. It sounds like he could have probably benefitted from a redshirt year to adjust to the college game. If there is one thing CBR has excelled at, it's player development. We now have 3 fairly solid PG's in Pegues, Whitt, and Anderson - I imagine Whitt will also be able to spell Bothwell if he can work on his shot. Whitt has the potential to be a huge playmaker with upside. Give him a chance before judging him on 7 FT's and a limited sophomore campaign.

Could you point to one post in which someone disagreed with the decision to take Whitt as a transfer?

It's 100% normal and expected that fans would look at the prior career of a transfer player. Typical strawman building, with Jackal of course there is an endless straw supply, no need for others to do the same.