• 4* Star Guard commits to Furman

#53047  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:11 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:48 pm
Interesting pick-up. His numbers at Wake were . . . not great, though he did have high assist and defensive rebounding rates. Of course the Paladins wouldn't have brought him on unless they had confidence in his future development.
I have hope. I’ve seen him as I watch too much ACC.

But he shoots FOURTY FOUR PERCENT from …. Get those ….. FREE THROW.

That may be the worst I’ve literally E V E R seen. Ever. You could literally play hack-a-Carter with a GUARD. Crazy how bad the shooting numbers were. Hope he can work on that and set the plate for others and help run team with vision.

That 44% FT - That’s down from 66 percent the year before. Good grief. Look I hope the kid kid kills it. I watch ACC and know this kid. There’s real potential but right now he’s got to be about the worst shooting guard in …. The. .. country !!

Heck he shoots 22% from three. And 29 pct from all FG? That’s .. BAD. that’s the guy you purposely don’t guard and it becomes 4 on 5

Again I watch a lot of ACC. He has vision and some rebounding. I hope he develops into a Great player for us. But that FT is just scary. FT is what you use to measure a guys possible shot development. A 80 pct FT guy will usually become a good shooter. Most guys hit 70 if they are guards. 44?!
 #53048  by din23
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:35 pm
gofurman wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Interesting pick-up. His numbers at Wake were . . . not great, though he did have high assist and defensive rebounding rates. Of course the Paladins wouldn't have brought him on unless they had confidence in his future development.

That may be the worst I’ve literally E V E R seen. Ever. You could literally play hack-a-Carter with a GUARD. Crazy how bad the shooting numbers were. Hope he can work on that and set the plate for others and help run team with vision.

That 44% FT - That’s down from 66 percent the year before. Good grief. Look I hope the kid kid kills it. I watch ACC and know this kid. There’s real potential but right now he’s got to be about the worst shooting guard in …. The. .. country !!

Heck he shoots 22% from three. And 29 pct from all FG? That’s .. BAD. that’s the guy you purposely don’t guard and it becomes 4 on 5

Again I watch a lot of ACC. He has vision and some rebounding. I hope he develops into a Great player for us. But that FT is just scary. FT is what you use to measure a guys possible shot development. A 80 pct FT guy will usually become a good shooter. Most guys hit 70 if they are guards. 44?!
If you're going to throw up the red flags using stats, at least look a little harder. The 44 pct free throw shooting that you complain about (actually 42.9%) is from SEVEN TOTAL FREE THROWS! He was 3 of 7 last year, 9 for 16 for his two-year college career! Great? No. The worst free throw shooter you've ever seen? Well, who is to argue with someone who watches too much ACC basketball?!

He'll need to improve the 3-point percentage to thrive in our offense - that's for sure.
 #53050  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:00 pm
He was on DR’s short list too. Good job DR. 3 years eligibility?
Played 2 years at Wake Forest, but first year was Covid year and did not count against him

So yes he has 3 years of college ball remaining
furpop16 liked this
 #53052  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:59 pm
din23 wrote:
gofurman wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

If you're going to throw up the red flags using stats, at least look a little harder. The 44 pct free throw shooting that you complain about (actually 42.9%) is from SEVEN TOTAL FREE THROWS! He was 3 of 7 last year, 9 for 16 for his two-year college career! Great? No. The worst free throw shooter you've ever seen? Well, who is to argue with someone who watches too much ACC basketball?!

He'll need to improve the 3-point percentage to thrive in our offense - that's for sure.

FINE. I apologize on the FT - SORT OF. I just recalled he CANNOT SHOOT. That was my general recollection. And it was right. He can't... to date. And that's a BIG BAD flag in a game predicated on making.. baskets !!!!!!!! He is the WORST 3 point shooter at Wake Forest who is allowed to shoot. IE, of every player at WF who took a three.. he is the worst percentage on the team (not counting those who took no 3s). That is a simple salient FACT. Yes, he has only taken 41 ... and only hit 9. If you are taking only 41 those should be selective shots and not volume. In short, I have watched this kid play at least 8 or 9 times. He has vision. I have real hope .. but he can't make a basket to save his life.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... t/dir/desc

I notice you didn't mention the horrific general FG percentage. To your credit you did mention the 3 point percentage. I apologize for the lack of volume on FT - I just had a general recollection of how several ACC teams didn't give a crap about this kid shooting. To our credit, many Furman players last year would command much more attention as shooters vs the ACC imo. IE, if Whitt had been on our team as we beat Louisville or in SoCon tourney he would have been allowed to shoot by our opponent. He would have been option 5 or 6. He did seem a decent distributor at times though even there his A:TO ratio is a poor 1:1 ?

All that said, I hope with this summer and three years he can become a huge part of a winning team !! We all want the same thing. Just sayin' he was 4 star and I see a lot of ACC he didn't strike me as one of the better 4 stars in the league
 #53053  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:16 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:59 pm
din23 wrote:
gofurman wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

FINE. I apologize on the FT - SORT OF. I just recalled he CANNOT SHOOT. That was my general recollection. And it was right. He can't... to date. And that's a BIG BAD flag in a game predicated on making.. baskets !!!!!!!! He is the WORST 3 point shooter at Wake Forest who is allowed to shoot. IE, of every player at WF who took a three.. he is the worst percentage on the team (not counting those who took no 3s). That is a simple salient FACT. Yes, he has only taken 41 ... and only hit 9. If you are taking only 41 those should be selective shots and not volume. In short, I have watched this kid play at least 8 or 9 times. He has vision. I have real hope .. but he can't make a basket to save his life.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... t/dir/desc

I notice you didn't mention the horrific general FG percentage. To your credit you did mention the 3 point percentage. I apologize for the lack of volume on FT - I just had a general recollection of how several ACC teams didn't give a crap about this kid shooting. To our credit, many Furman players last year would command much more attention as shooters vs the ACC imo. IE, if Whitt had been on our team as we beat Louisville or in SoCon tourney he would have been allowed to shoot by our opponent. He would have been option 5 or 6. He did seem a decent distributor at times though even there his A:TO ratio is a poor 1:1 ?

All that said, I hope with this summer and three years he can become a huge part of a winning team !! We all want the same thing. Just sayin' he was 4 star and I see a lot of ACC he didn't strike me as one of the better 4 stars in the league

For a player that finished HS early Wake Forest threw him into the fire way to early

Furman coaching staff > Wake Forest coaching staff
QCGlue, FU69 liked this
 #53054  by Sad Din
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm
some of you all are hilariuos... get a 4 star player, best rated PG in NC in 2020 and are already minimizing him

lets give the kid a chance after all the DII xfer from last year turned out pretty good

IMHO we should be down on our knees TTL for this one!

Dins could have 3-4 legitimate POY candidates on the Team next year. wow just wow!
Roundball, MNORM, FU69 liked this
 #53055  by tya1
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:55 pm
Joe Anderson hit only 20% of his FTs this year. That can happen when you only take 5 FTs all year. What does that tell us about his shooting ability. He also hit almost 47% of his threes. Maybe 5 FTs all year isn't a large enough sample size to draw conclusions. Maybe 7 isn't enough either.
din23, FU69 liked this
 #53056  by tya1
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:06 pm
Recruiting evaluation by Jerry Meyer for 247Sports -
Good length for a point guard. Average athlete, but has the frame to fill out and hold his own physically. Is a top of the line passer. Excels at the hook pass against the grain. Goes either direction equally well. Will get a little loose with the dribble at times, though. Keeps the defense honest with his shot but has room to improve as a shooter. Average at best defender, but is opportunistic and will compete for rebounds and loose balls. Projection -Power 5 starter
 #53057  by furpop16
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:06 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm
some of you all are hilariuos... get a 4 star player, best rated PG in NC in 2020 and are already minimizing him

lets give the kid a chance after all the DII xfer from last year turned out pretty good

IMHO we should be down on our knees TTL for this one!

Dins could have 3-4 legitimate POY candidates on the Team next year. wow just wow!

I agree, this looks like a true diamond in the rough. And assuming DR is correct that "Furman coaching staff > Wake Forest coaching staff", we have just the group to develop him.

That said, it's legitimate to ask what happened at Wake? Is it simply a matter that as a legacy they expected too much of him too soon? And then as DR suggests the coaches didn't have the skill & patience to help him out? That's my hunch as well, but I'm hoping someone here might provide substance ... I mean, if P5 coaches can't develop players then what good are they?

All the writeups on Carter Whitt coming out of HS are glowing about his character as well as his abilities. Great fit for us. If we can get this kid back on track with his potential, man, watch out.
 #53062  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:52 pm
Maybe it’s as simple as playing time? He wants more and didn’t have an immediate path to starting. Furman is offering the chance to be a starting PG if he wins the job.
 #53063  by Paul C
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:09 pm
When a player gets such sporadic and brief playing time, stats are worthless. Worse than worthless.

3 of 7 from the line over the course of a season?

C’mon GF you’re better than that.
din23, Roundball, MNORM and 2 others liked this
 #53064  by youwouldno
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:17 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:09 pm
When a player gets such sporadic and brief playing time, stats are worthless. Worse than worthless.

3 of 7 from the line over the course of a season?

C’mon GF you’re better than that.

Actually Whitt played a fair amount. He played around 20 mpg in 2021 conference play and then about 10 mpg throughout the 2022 season. For 2022, he played basically the same number of minutes as JP Pegues. And Pegues was still able to hit his shots.

Whitt clearly has a lot of upside but he's a development project, not instant offense like many on here seem to think.
gofurman, bj93 liked this