• Taking a Transfer

#53027  by Roundball
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:14 pm
Knowing Coach Richey’s history, I would bet he is going after the best athlete and fit that is available, no matter the position.
 #53029  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:11 pm
Kid has tons of potential, good pickup!!
 #53115  by tya1
 Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:20 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:40 pm
Am I looking at the stats wrong?
Only if you think you are looking at the stats of a seasoned veteran and not the stats of a rookie.

In other transfer news, VMI's Trey Bonham is going to Florida. Will Richard is also transferring to the Gators.Darin Green, Jr. is transferring from UCF to Florida State. Richard and Green are players we tried to sign.
 #53121  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:23 am
I’m sure gator nation is thrilled with getting a transfer from VMI. :lol:
 #53139  by jesse174
 Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:14 pm
Whitt is listed as a freshman but played 2 years...so one year was covid I assume...he should be a sophomore at Furman...also no stats of any worth as he had very few minutes at Wake....glad we got a guard with some size at 6' 3"
 #53146  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:01 am
jesse174 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:14 pm
Whitt is listed as a freshman but played 2 years...so one year was covid I assume...he should be a sophomore at Furman...also no stats of any worth as he had very few minutes at Wake....glad we got a guard with some size at 6' 3"
He played almost 800 minutes or equivalant of 20-40 minute games at Wake. It’s not like he never played there. He played in the last 53 games he was there and played double digit minutes in 36 of those. He had 20+ minutes 20 times. In the last game of the 2020-21 season he played 33 minutes against Notre Dame and scored 12 points and had 7 assists. His minutes really tailed off the last 10 games last season(all single digits). Could be the reason for the transfer.
Really looking forward to watching him and the whole team next season.
 #53157  by Furmanoid
 Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:26 pm
I was initially perplexed by this pickup. I have a George Allen “the future is now” attitude especially after this little 42 year drought. I thought we would go for proven firepower that could help us next year.

This kid probably won’t offer that but he may be a solid player or even a star in the out years. So perhaps CBR already felt good about next year and didn’t feel any urgent need for short term improvement. I think he feels like the guys we already had would kinda run over the SoCon.
 #53159  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:46 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:26 pm
I was initially perplexed by this pickup. I have a George Allen “the future is now” attitude especially after this little 42 year drought. I thought we would go for proven firepower that could help us next year.

This kid probably won’t offer that but he may be a solid player or even a star in the out years. So perhaps CBR already felt good about next year and didn’t feel any urgent need for short term improvement. I think he feels like the guys we already had would kinda run over the SoCon.
At this point all we can do is hope for the best, he's got potential that has yet to be realized, hopefully we have the perfect coaches to bring it all out of him.

Plenty of recent proof of guys transferring into the SoCon that have not done jack squat at their previous school and make a name for themselves in this league, just look at the stat turnaround's these guys were able to achieve in the SoCon, it can be done:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... achi-smith

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ues-glover

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... en-johnson
 #53162  by Flagman
 Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:55 pm
Some on this board seem to forget who our coach is and his strength. Furman is all about developing players. Everyone who comes to Furman is a work in progress.
Roundball, hypercycloid, underjack and 2 others liked this
 #53164  by Furmanoid
 Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:12 pm
Well Garrison wasn’t a work in progress. He was proven technology that we could use for immediate improvement but only for one year. That’s one way to play the portal game. But I think our lack of graduate programs makes it harder to get that kind of guy.

This is the other way. You scoop up guys who maybe disappointed a little out of HS and need a second chance. That works too. I’ve watched my local DII team completely turn around DI guys who just didn’t get a fair shake. It’s all coaching. If we do have a coaching opening I wish we would get a real shooting expert to work with these guys.
underjack liked this