• 2022-23 Bob Richey, Mike Bothwell, Jalen Slawson return

#52909  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:24 pm
Wonder if the fact that we will be so good next year makes it harder to land a transfer, all these kids that have some proven ability want someone to guarantee them a starting spot in most cases I would assume
 #52944  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:15 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wonder if the fact that we will be so good next year makes it harder to land a transfer, all these kids that have some proven ability want someone to guarantee them a starting spot in most cases I would assume
IMHO we have 2 starting spots up for grabs. Maybe 3.
 #52946  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:41 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:15 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
IMHO we have 2 starting spots up for grabs. Maybe 3.

Sure
But Foster, Hein and Pegues look ready to fully take over
And Anderson and Hughey solid off the bench
These other schools are telling guys you can start, we would have to tell them they will have to compete and earn a job over other guys already in our system
 #52948  by PaladinPower
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:18 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:43 am
Iam also sure our arena (Timmons) continues to hold us back in recruiting as well, we manage but I am sure it makes it a lot tougher on our coaching staff
I'm not sure Timmons impacts recruiting all THAT much. Does anyone have the Paladins winning percentage playing at Timmons the past 6-7 years? Kids want to win and we win in our building. A lot. Locker rooms were updated, that's probably more important than the guts of the place. The FANS want the arena updated, but the players probably don't care as much as you'd think if I had to guess.
MNORM, din23 liked this
 #52949  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:32 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Iam also sure our arena (Timmons) continues to hold us back in recruiting as well, we manage but I am sure it makes it a lot tougher on our coaching staff
I'm not sure Timmons impacts recruiting all THAT much. Does anyone have the Paladins winning percentage playing at Timmons the past 6-7 years? Kids want to win and we win in our building. A lot. Locker rooms were updated, that's probably more important than the guts of the place. The FANS want the arena updated, but the players probably don't care as much as you'd think if I had to guess.

To be blunt you are dead wrong

Walking into that arena impresses nobody and it 100% makes it tougher to recruit a kid who see's better venues at other comparable mid major schools, it still has a high school feel to it how it is currently set-up and looks small time. Like I said, yes we are winning so we manage, but it is making it more difficult to recruit for our coaching staff without a doubt.

Being able to play some games downtown helps, because we can sell that facility to kids as well, but we need a major renovation to Timmons soon while we have momentum if we are going to keep building one of the best mid major programs in the South/Country/Planet/Universe
bj93, Fuonetime liked this
 #52950  by PaladinPower
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:56 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Walking into that arena impresses nobody and it 100% makes it tougher to recruit a kid who see's better venues at other comparable mid major schools, it still has a high school feel to it how it is currently set-up and looks small time. Like I said, yes we are winning so we manage, but it is making it more difficult to recruit for our coaching staff without a doubt.

Being able to play some games downtown helps, because we can sell that facility to kids as well, but we need a major renovation to Timmons soon while we have momentum if we are going to keep building one of the best mid major programs in the South/Country/Planet/Universe
We can agree to disagree. CBR sells the program, the culture, the winning on and off the court. I believe he could recruit kids to play anywhere.

I’m not against renovating and I think it would make the game day environment more exciting, but the arena didn’t scare away Stephen Croone, Daniel Fowler, Acox, Mounce, Rafferty, Lyons, Alex Hunter, Bothwell, Slawson, the list goes on. I’ll take those guys every day of the week and I’m sure we’ll continue to recruit guys of that caliber.
Roundball liked this
 #52951  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:57 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Agree and it seems that Timmons will remain the same. Was hoping shortly after the season ended we would have s huge annoucement but guess not. We’ve already saved 10 million by not having a baseball team(supposedly) and will save 5 million every year so that could finance Timmons.
 #52952  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:17 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:56 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

We can agree to disagree. CBR sells the program, the culture, the winning on and off the court. I believe he could recruit kids to play anywhere.

I’m not against renovating and I think it would make the game day environment more exciting, but the arena didn’t scare away Stephen Croone, Daniel Fowler, Acox, Mounce, Rafferty, Lyons, Alex Hunter, Bothwell, Slawson, the list goes on. I’ll take those guys every day of the week and I’m sure we’ll continue to recruit guys of that caliber.

You can have that view, but you are wrong

Bob Richey says himself, you can't expect to maintain a top of the league type program while having bottom league facilities, he wants change because that will make it much easier on our coaches to recruit the type of talent to take us from being good to being great and winning in the NCAA tournament. We lose guys to other schools all the time because they have better facilities than us. If we are not striving to be one of the best then what's the freaking point
apaladin, Fuonetime liked this
 #52953  by PaladinPower
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:28 pm
They updated the facilities with the brand new locker rooms and offices. Don’t sit here and say they’ve done NOTHING to improve the situation. Those updates are probably not close to bottom of the league facilities. I’m just saying it probably doesn’t impact recruiting to the point where we are kids’ last options because the arena is the way it is… Sure it will help, but it’s not a dealbreaker.