#50134  by FUBeAR
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:07 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:32 am
We win the conference it doesn't matter who we play OOC!
Sounds good, 60…but not true.

Seeding matters. If we win the SoCon - let’s say we go 7-1 (as ETSU did in 2021) … and we give Clemson a decent game…let’s say it’s a 35-17 loss. OK, we’re 8-2. Now, if we play PC and win (even if the score is 14-13), that gives us a 9-2 record and, most likely…a seed…a bye…a 2nd round home playoff game…all those things matter…don’t they?

But…what if we play D2 National Finalist/Runner-Up, Valdosta State (instead of PC), and beat them 69-0. Know what the Playoff Selection Committee thinks of that? Nothing…absolutely nothing. To them, our record is still 8-2 with no FBS wins and that nagging loss to whichever SoCon beat us….Sorry…not quite worthy of a seed, Paladins…and, sorry, but Richmond outbid you for your 1st round matchup. If you’re able to overcome the Spiders (be good to see Udinski & Herres again, huh?), then you get to go to Fargo to play #1 Seed NDSU in your 2nd round game….which would have been at Furman vs. Davidson (who beat Elon in Rd1)…if only you would have played and beaten D1 PC by 1 point…instead of blowing out D2 Valdosta.

The system sux…but it is what it is…and who we play does matter…way more than it should .
I sort of agree with you, but sort of not.

I do agree that who you play matters insofar as it really needs to be D1 competition. I do not really believe it matters who you play inside that D1 category.

In FBS football, there is incentives for the top programs to play one another. That really isn't the case in the FCS. Most programs would be better off playing the weakest non-conference FCS teams they can find as it adds a tally to the "D1 win" category.

The issue with scheduling, as I see it, is that every team wants (1) ease of travel (2) beatable FCS opponent. There are only so many such programs, and every other playoff-hungry FCS team is trying to schedule the same opponents.

Even without trying, you'll eventually get back around where you have to schedule a D2 or an NAIA. The alternative, I guess, is to go the route where the same two or three teams pop up on the schedule nearly every season (Elon, Gardner Webb, etc.)
No…you agree with FUBeAR entirely. That’s why FUBeAR used PC & Valdosta in his example. Valdosta would probably beat PC 69-0, but the Committee sees Furman beating PC by 1 as INFINITELY superior to beating Valdosta by 69.

OOC Strength of schedule is not going to matter as long as all OOC opponents are D1, unless you happen to play & defeat a Team that happens to end up a Top 5 Team…which because of the circular logic of computer & people rankings means a Big Sky or MVFC Team…which hardly makes sense financially…and you could catch them in a down year and your challenging contest end up meaning bupkus.

Nope…better to schedule every OOC game with a Non-Schollie D1 (PFL) or a Transitional Team. Problem is…the MVFC & The Big Sky have realized this and can pay more than most SoCon Teams. Check out their schedules last year and coming up….Dixie State, Drake, Valpo, St. Thomas, San Diego….all over their 5 and 6 Playoff bids!

System sux…we are in full agreement, Jackal…as always!
Affirm liked this
 #50135  by FUBeAR
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:46 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:39 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:07 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:32 am
We win the conference it doesn't matter who we play OOC!
Sounds good, 60…but not true.

Seeding matters. If we win the SoCon - let’s say we go 7-1 (as ETSU did in 2021) … and we give Clemson a decent game…let’s say it’s a 35-17 loss. OK, we’re 8-2. Now, if we play PC and win (even if the score is 14-13), that gives us a 9-2 record and, most likely…a seed…a bye…a 2nd round home playoff game…all those things matter…don’t they?

But…what if we play D2 National Finalist/Runner-Up, Valdosta State (instead of PC), and beat them 69-0. Know what the Playoff Selection Committee thinks of that? Nothing…absolutely nothing. To them, our record is still 8-2 with no FBS wins and that nagging loss to whichever SoCon beat us….Sorry…not quite worthy of a seed, Paladins…and, sorry, but Richmond outbid you for your 1st round matchup. If you’re able to overcome the Spiders (be good to see Udinski & Herres again, huh?), then you get to go to Fargo to play #1 Seed NDSU in your 2nd round game….which would have been at Furman vs. Davidson (who beat Elon in Rd1)…if only you would have played and beaten D1 PC by 1 point…instead of blowing out D2 Valdosta.

The system sux…but it is what it is…and who we play does matter…way more than it should .
To paraphrase Mora, “Seeding! Seeding?! Seeding??, I’d just like to make the playoffs!”
Well…the post to which FUBeAR was responding presumed winning the SoCon…which comes with an AQ bid…usually…and, now that FUBeAR thinks about it…he didn’t even address 2018…when Furman DID win the SoCon and DID NOT even make the Playoffs.

Why not? Loss to a competitive OOC Team & a shortage of D1 wins…not due to scheduling that time, but not playing Colgate was viewed the same by the Committee as beating Valdosta St 69-0. They view it as a “Not a Win.” So…play Davidson instead of a tough CAA Team…and go ahead and schedule Colgate (we’d a-killed ‘em)…but Wagner would be even better.

8-3/6-2 or 7-3/6-2 instead of 6-4/6-2 and the Paladins, SoCon (tri)Champions, don’t get left home from the Playoff field.

So…Coach Mora, et al…Scheduling does matter, whether we win the SoCon or not, and whether we are talking getting a seed, or even just making the…

apaladin, Affirm liked this
 #50138  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:43 pm
And to that point, in 2018 Furman missed the post season, but Colgate (who canceled a game with Furman) was the #8 seed.

I believe the 2018 Colgate team didn't have a single win over a team that finished with a winning record. They were the only team in their conference with a winning record.
Affirm liked this
 #50158  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:49 am
It may be an interesting case study to follow Samford and Furman the next few years in this "new era" of college recruiting.

Furman has continued to follow the traditional track of recruiting high school players with a transfer or two interspersed.

Samford took 10 transfers in their 17 member signing class this year.
 #50164  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:21 am
The Jackal wrote:
It may be an interesting case study to follow Samford and Furman the next few years in this "new era" of college recruiting.

Furman has continued to follow the traditional track of recruiting high school players with a transfer or two interspersed.

Coach Hatcher is on the final year of his contract.

They were 4-7/3-5 (T7th) last year. They were 4-3 (5th) in the Covid/Spring season. They were 5-7/4-4 (T4th) in 2019. 6-5/5-3 (4th) in 2018. Their 2016 & 2017 Playoff seasons are getting pretty small in the rear view mirror now.

While they have never shied away from the transfer pool, Hatcher is in job-save mode now. Win this year or his contract will not be renewed. He doesn’t have time to develop HS Players. Needs talent that can contribute immediately.
 #50167  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:53 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:21 am
The Jackal wrote:

Coach Hatcher is on the final year of his contract.

They were 4-7/3-5 (T7th) last year. They were 4-3 (5th) in the Covid/Spring season. They were 5-7/4-4 (T4th) in 2019. 6-5/5-3 (4th) in 2018. Their 2016 & 2017 Playoff seasons are getting pretty small in the rear view mirror now.

While they have never shied away from the transfer pool, Hatcher is in job-save mode now. Win this year or his contract will not be renewed. He doesn’t have time to develop HS Players. Needs talent that can contribute immediately.

That was one of my impressions looking at the list - no time to build a winner. He needs one ready-made.

I also believe Samford was hit pretty hard with graduation/transfers/attrition. So, they had a lot of holes to fill.
 #51843  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:31 pm
As it turns out 3 SoCon teams are not playing a full d1 schedule. Citadel, etsu and Furman. Not good for the teams or conference.
 #51904  by gman84
 Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:58 am
I'm not surprised. Not making excuses for these schools, but putting together a schedule is not as easy as some think.
 #51906  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:17 am
gman84 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:58 am
I'm not surprised. Not making excuses for these schools, but putting together a schedule is not as easy as some think.

Two of those schools (Furman and the Citadel) are, in my opinion, some of the few SoCon schools that tend to turn out high quality schedules most every season.

I don't mind playing a sub-D1 program. Sometimes you have to to fill a hole on the calendar. I do not believe this is some sort of philosophical shift for Furman in how they've scheduled over the last 10-15 years.
 #52818  by gofurman
 Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:12 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:55 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:45 am
JohnKX512 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:40 am
That North Greenville game will be a good warm up for Clemson.
……and is a huge disappointment as far as making the playoffs. May as well had a bye as this game does not count. Means nothing, The 2 non conference games are very disappointing. VMI has 6 home games with 2 ooc D1 home games. Why can’t we do better???
I have no problem with us playing NG. Every year is a wild card on how the committee will view southern schools.
I think its good for the team to get some action in before Clemson and then the real season.
In every other way, other than the nonsensical priorities of the FCS Playoff Selection Committee, playing North Greenville is great. Just like Clemson playing Furman is great. But…the FCS Playoff Selection Committee does not live in the real world. They have capricious, outdated guidelines that ‘reject’ the idea that Furman playing North Greenville is great & they will penalize (if possible) Furman for violating their anachronistic sensibilities.
Unfortunately AP and FUBEAR are correct. We just shot ourselves in the foot !! Now we almost have to win SoCon. I think it was Mercer who scheduled 10 games last year and was cut from playoffs?? Is that right FUBEAR? Ours is worse in a way we have only 10 games that count plus one where you can get injured. Play GWebb or or another like that - Elon? Anyone bad in fcs like SC State. I know you have to work to schedule but CH himself said “I have learned” after the Colgate fiasco. Must have been no one available. If we go 7-3…
 #52819  by Roundball
 Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:30 am
I still say that if we cannot win the weak SoCon, we are not good enough to be in the playoffs. We control our destiny, not the selection committee.
 #52820  by FUBeAR
 Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:26 am
Roundball wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:30 am
I still say that if we cannot win the weak SoCon, we are not good enough to be in the playoffs. We control our destiny, not the selection committee.
The SoCon is not weak. You are still wrong.
apaladin, DeepPurple liked this
 #52932  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:51 pm
Anyone surprised that club level seats(pressbox) are available for the upcoming season? Apparently any season ticket holder can upgrade their tickets to club level.
 #52941  by gman84
 Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:03 am
Club level seats have always been available every year. I had them for many years. The difference now is that season ticket availability is not linked to your Paladin Club/Athletic Donor level of contribution. What is linked to your donor level is your parking preference. I think this a great move!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.