• Roster changes / Transfer portal

#52869  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:15 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:06 am
Did he play much at MSU ?. Edit below

If so this is a HUGE get for us!! Love it. I know that there are changes we don’t like. NIL big money.. FBS transfers don’t have to sit a year (used to would come to fcs instead of waiting). But I still think a team built of HS recruits with a few 3 star transfers to plug in a need and bring nasty athleticism is best. To have two or three FBS guys out there who have seen FBS competition daily is great. The fcs game will be easier for them if they were good FBs players

EDIT - he only played in eight games and had ONE reception at TE for MSU. in his Four years. That said he was a very highly sought after DE from HS. top 50 in nation as DE coming out of HS! I bet that’s how we use him as we are thin on DL. Hope he can crush some SoCon OL and cause havoc. I’m assuming that’s where he would play?

I expect he'll play TE.

For one, he appears to have exclusively played TE in college. I do not believe Furman would recruit a kid as a transfer and then have him play a position he hasn't played in four years at the D1 level.

Furman is also in need of TEs. Sometimes overlooked behind Ryan Miller's brilliance is Furman really hasn't been able to develop much of a depth chart behind him. While they did recruit two TEs last year and it appears that one, Whittemore, is no longer on the roster.

At Holy Cross, Roper frequently used two TEs. One TE would serve in a type of "h-back" role while the other would be more of an "in-line" TE.

While he inherits an excellent pass catcher in Miller, Roper really doesn't have an in-line TE to pair with him. Furman has recently moved Noah Henderson and Ty Youngblood to TE, but neither of those guys really fits the mold of a hand-on-the-ground TE. At 6'4 240, Gissinger likely fits that mold.

We'll have to see what he can do when he gets here. If he can stick at TE at a Big10 school, I expect he can probably run. If he can play, it may give Furman the flexibility to utilize two TEs in more formations. It may also allow Furman to maximize Miller as a receiver, which he where he is most dangerous.
Paladin82 liked this
 #52871  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:02 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:54 am
DL
NG Coleman 6-3 304 SR
NG Johnson 6-1 301 SO
NG Arnold 6-1 298 RSFR

DT Sochovka 6-4 296 SR
DT Stephens 6-3 270 SO
DT Barton 6-4 264 JR
DT Rogers 6-3 255 SR

DE Jackson 6-0 256 SO
DE Stanfield 6-2 252 SO
DE Paraison 6-3 258 RSFR
DE Clark 6-2 254 SR

BAN Clark 6-3 243 SO
BAN Maier 6-4 238 RSFR
BAN McLaughlin 6-2 197 RSFR
\
* Malachi Harrison 6-1 275 DL
Harrison is very quick and physical, in HS played inside and outside.
* Thomas Pilon 6-3 260 DE/DT
* Based on film—I think Pilon will start out at DE. He's also very quick, and has a lot of length. Pilon could creep into the 270 range.

Furman under CCH has class by class built some impressive depth and athletic ability on the DL. Gone are days of moving linebackers into under-sized DEs.

I'm not living in a dream world, injures can muck up any position that appears solid. Furman lost Stainfield to injury last year right as Bryce was proving his heralded status. A healthy Stainfield is critical to Furman's DE play in 2022.

Bandit. Gone is Adrian Hope and the position is now in the hands of two longer, bigger youngsters Clark and Maier. Clark has shown the ability to be explosive and physical. Maier played minimal last year — grabbing a redshirt. In the games, Alex played in (special teams) he was impressive. I've been told by more than one player's parent to keep an eye on #46.

DiMaggio moved back to ILB this spring. After watching the spring game I believe the coaches are comfortable with this duo at Bandit. Still—if any issues arise I think we could see DiMaggio play some bandit.

One more position worth putting under the microscope. ILB.
Kuzemka 6-0 216 JR
Gilby 6-2 237 SR
McCormick 6-2 223 JR
DiMaggio 6-3 230 SO
Scianna 5-10 206 JR
Youngblood has moved to TE (which appears to be a smart move) and the speedy Jalen Miller has moved into possibly the deepest position on defense SPUR. I would expect incoming recruit Dylan Chiedo (6-2 220 ILB) to redshirt and be the cornerstone of the next ILB class.

Just to tie a bow around the DIns Defense—Furman brings in three impressive DBs. Ingram, McLeod, and Williams. In the spring under Coach Spangler—we saw an inspired, aggressive group of defensive backs. With the return of Chizik and Yates the defensive backfield should be a strength in 2022.

It can be a little complex with titles in this defense. There's a good bit of depth and multiple players that can play multiple positions that will give the defensive staff flexibility.

Dimaggio will be an interesting one to watch. I expect that he can potentially occupy a bit of a utility role similar to what the Paladins did with McKoy last season.
 #52894  by gofurman
 Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:47 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:50 pm
True. I get that. Depth etc is HUGE. (22 additional scholarships) Huge.

But if the difference in FBS and FCS were that ‘small’ in talent how come we have lost 27 consecutive vs Clemson?? Even in their 6-5 years? That doesn’t quite track. Also I watched NC State recently just MAUL us with talent in recent years. Even prior players told me they - NC State - is just WAY more talented (NC State) on the LOS and we were just there to get paid though coaches want say that out loud

Not all FBS teams are created equal.

From my observations, the talent gap comes in two places - defensive line and pass catcher (WR/TE). The better FCS teams have comparable talent to most FBS programs at most positions. The areas where you can see the talent gap is in those positions where it is just more difficult for smaller schools to recruit.
agree - nobody in FCS has like a top-tier Clemson.. sick:

2012:
Nuk Hopkins (Jr.)
Sammy Watkins (So.)
Martavis Bryant (So.)
Jaron Brown (Sr.)
Adam Humphries (So.)

just no way to cover that without giving 5 DBs or something leaving huge running holes. Or one on one vs Watkins and Hopkins :D
 #52899  by Furmanoid
 Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:06 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

But if the difference in FBS and FCS were that ‘small’ in talent how come we have lost 27 consecutive vs Clemson?? Even in their 6-5 years? That doesn’t quite track. Also I watched NC State recently just MAUL us with talent in recent years. Even prior players told me they - NC State - is just WAY more talented (NC State) on the LOS and we were just there to get paid though coaches want say that out loud

From my observations, the talent gap comes in two places - defensive line and pass catcher (WR/TE). The better FCS teams have comparable talent to most FBS programs at most positions. The areas where you can see the talent gap is in those positions where it is just more difficult for smaller schools to recruit.
I’ve always thought the OL was the difference. Any HS has some big kids, but most aren’t even into sports. Even if they are, they tend to be on the lazy side. Many of them are gentle because they’ve always been yelled at for hurting the smaller kids. And even the ones who love the game, work hard and have a violent streak almost never have quick feet. If a guy like that has quick feet, he goes FBS. If not he goes FCS. So we have to play FBS teams either using big guys who are too slow or using athletic smaller guys.
 #52901  by The Jackal
 Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:06 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

I’ve always thought the OL was the difference. Any HS has some big kids, but most aren’t even into sports. Even if they are, they tend to be on the lazy side. Many of them are gentle because they’ve always been yelled at for hurting the smaller kids. And even the ones who love the game, work hard and have a violent streak almost never have quick feet. If a guy like that has quick feet, he goes FBS. If not he goes FCS. So we have to play FBS teams either using big guys who are too slow or using athletic smaller guys.
I tend to find that a lot of smaller schools are able to recruit quality offensive linemen. In fact, it's really the only position group where Furman can go head to head in recruiting with P5 schools.
 #52918  by The Jackal
 Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:48 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:23 am
He is going to be a TE.
I like the move.

You never know how a transfer will pan out. However, if we assume this kid could see the field at Michigan State he probably has some talents, size, and speed. That could be a nice tool for the offense.

Just an example (I think I've posted before) of how Roper utilized two TEs in his offense:

Hypothetically, if this TE transfer can play a bit, Furman would have a lot of options in a set up like that - heavy formation to the right, an excellent pass catching TE, physical run blocking offensive linemen to the backside, a RB bigger than the defenses linebackers, and a QB that can throw and run.
 #53305  by AstroDin
 Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:50 am
We got another transfer — kicker from NCST.
Williams was offered by us, Army, Charlotte, and WCU offered a PWO at NCST but after a kicker transferred he signed as a scholarship player. Rated a 2 star by 247 and ranked as the 6th best kicker.
gman84 liked this
 #53310  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:16 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:50 am
We got another transfer — kicker from NCST.
Williams was offered by us, Army, Charlotte, and WCU offered a PWO at NCST but after a kicker transferred he signed as a scholarship player. Rated a 2 star by 247 and ranked as the 6th best kicker.
Good pickup, this was a need
apaladin liked this
 #53314  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:42 pm
I think once he transfers in, he can't transfer again. So, that should keep him a Paladin through the career.
He could but would have to sit a year, How many years of eligibility does he have?
 #53317  by AstroDin
 Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:04 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
I think once he transfers in, he can't transfer again. So, that should keep him a Paladin through the career.
He could but would have to sit a year, How many years of eligibility does he have?
I believe he has two years maybe three years of eligibility — the COVID rules seem to add a year.
 #53320  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:18 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:04 am
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
I believe he has two years maybe three years of eligibility — the COVID rules seem to add a year.
According to this article ( https://ncstate.rivals.com/news/nc-sta ... CpEFqr_CAw), he should…maybe ‘could’…have 4 years of eligibility. 2020 was his 1st year at NCSU, but that was Covid Year, which doesn’t count ‘against’ anyone. He did not appear in a game last year (2021), so he should be eligible for a redshirt and, if so, 2022 will be his 1st year of 4.

Of course, with the NCAA’s abdication, are there really any eligibility rules anymore?
AstroDin liked this
 #53321  by AstroDin
 Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:29 am
Scanning through my Twitter feed this morning — I missed another commitment for Furman.
I'm pretty sure this is a PWO, but I'd call it an interesting one. Aquavian Rush.

Rush played safety and linebacker and is very physical. I'm actually surprised he just got a few offers.
hypercycloid, apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.