• RIP Joe Williams

#52606  by FurmAlum
 Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:27 pm
Checked the records. The Indiana loss in the NCAA Tourney was in '78. 63-62. Like you said. Had 'em beat,
 #52614  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:16 am
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:15 am
I'm big on CBR, but those who think these are the Glory Days of Furman BB should think again.
While not true yet, now still has the potential to surpass then.
Only 32 conference winners got in Big dance back then, and nowhere near the media coverage of today's spectacle, so while we have not reached the summit yet, if we do as it seems we are on the cusp of (and can maintain) these will indeed become the glory days. Hope it happens!
 #52618  by OL FU
 Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:13 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:17 pm
I was at FU from '72 -'76. We beat USC in the NCAA Tournament in March of 1974. N.C. State with David Thompson went on to win the National Championship in '74.

I don't remember the Indiana game. My recollection is we lost in the next round to Pittsburgh in a close game.

Indiana won in 1976.
Yep, as I suspected I got my years mixed up. We lost to Indiana by 1 in 1978. Indiana didn't win the tournament that year.

Darn :cry: :)
 #52625  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:56 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
I'm big on CBR, but those who think these are the Glory Days of Furman BB should think again.
Only 32 conference winners got in Big dance back then, and nowhere near the media coverage of today's spectacle, so while we have not reached the summit yet, if we do as it seems we are on the cusp of (and can maintain) these will indeed become the glory days. Hope it happens!
After we win 3 or 4 we’ll be on the cusp.
 #52626  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:11 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
3 or 4 to go along with accomplishing other things, some of which includes stuff we have already done (being ranked for first time, season wins records, 6,000+ attendance record, ect.), will far surpass those 70's days, as I stated and as you all know good and well things are on a much bigger scale nowadays then they were back then
 #52628  by tya1
 Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:07 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
There weren't 32 conferences back then. The first 32 team tournament wasn't until 1975. That was also the first tournament with at-large teams which is why the field was expanded to 32. The total number of conferences was in the 20s.
 #52629  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:24 pm
tya1 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:07 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
There weren't 32 conferences back then. The first 32 team tournament wasn't until 1975. That was also the first tournament with at-large teams which is why the field was expanded to 32. The total number of conferences was in the 20s.

Correct (about the amount of conferences) and what I was meaning to state, only the conference winners until only a small at large pool was added when it went to 32 teams. Just rushed what I was trying to get across, all the same though with regard to the amount of teams in the dance and the coverage it received at the time.
 #52640  by Davemeister
 Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:09 am
I stand by my statement, and in your heart you know I'm right.

When I was a student at Furman in those '70s we took winning the SoCon Men's Tournament for granted. Since then it's been like trying to grab the brass ring.
furpep liked this
 #52642  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:28 am
FurmAlum wrote:
I was at FU from '72 -'76. We beat USC in the NCAA Tournament in March of 1974. N.C. State with David Thompson went on to win the National Championship in '74.

I don't remember the Indiana game. My recollection is we lost in the next round to Pittsburgh in a close game.

Indiana won in 1976.
We did not beat NC State when David Thompson was there. The only tme we beat NC State was in 1978. Thompson graduated n 1975.
 #52643  by Furmanoid
 Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:11 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
3 or 4 to go along with accomplishing other things, some of which includes stuff we have already done (being ranked for first time, season wins records, 6,000+ attendance record, ect.), will far surpass those 70's days, as I stated and as you all know good and well things are on a much bigger scale nowadays then they were back then
I’m surprised we set an attendance record. That’s great, but people go to USC games, too. So what? And wins are just easier to come by now. Twenty wins used to be a big deal, remember that? I guess overall basketball is on a larger scale now but that means it is at least a little watered down.

And in this region basketball was a BIGGER deal back then than now. The ACC was dominant, USC was a really good independant. Furman was Furman. Newberry went to an NAIA championship and even Erskine was no joke.
HS games were packed. Percentage of kids playing basketball at some level was probably twice as high at least. (I remember all of us kids crossing ourselves like John Roche at the line even though we were Baptists and Methodists.)

I AM NOT talking trash about CBR,but we have a long, long way to go to get back to that Joe Williams level. I’m ranting I know, but I get so nostalgic for that time. It will only come back if we make a couple changes, and we aren’t going to.
FurmAlum liked this
 #52669  by FurmAlum
 Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Indiana won in 1976.
We did not beat NC State when David Thompson was there. The only tme we beat NC State was in 1978. Thompson graduated n 1975.
I didn't say we beat the David Thompson N.C. State team. I just said they won the NC in 1974.
apaladin liked this
 #52671  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:58 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Indiana won in 1976.
I didn't say we beat the David Thompson N.C. State team. I just said they won the NC in 1974.
Of course we didn’t beat David Thompson. DT was undefeated throughout his collegiate, ABA, and NBA careers.

FUBeAR was a wee basketball-crazed lad of 11 when DT, after inventing basketball in Shelby, NC, rode into FUBeAR’s hometown on a donkey, walked across the lake at Pullen Park, and began doing carpentry work in anonymity, single-handedly building Reynolds Coliseum, as an NCSU Freshman, then ineligible for Varsity play. But the knowing faithful, including a pre-teen FUBeAR, attended many of his Freshman games that season and witnessed the miracles that wider audiences would soon have the pleasure to behold.

Yes…if DT hadn’t gotten something caught in his nose causing him to fall down those stairs at that late-night church known as Studio 54 in 1984, wrecking his knee in the process, he might still be levitating on basketball courts around the world and eternally extending his lifetime record of being infallibly undefeated.
 #65065  by Roundball
 Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:16 am
Watching a great documentary on CBS Sports Network (Charter 818) about the Jacksonville run to the 1970 championship game. It comes on again at 11:30 pm on February 5 if you want to watch or record it.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.