• RIP Joe Williams

#52537  by Roundball
 Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:22 pm
I have a photo of the cover of the Furman basketball year guide from the year 70/71. I hope I can figure out how to post the picture. It is a cool cover.
 #52541  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:45 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:22 pm
I have a photo of the cover of the Furman basketball year guide from the year 70/71. I hope I can figure out how to post the picture. It is a cool cover.
FUBeAR uses this site to upload/post images from his ‘personal stash’ - https://postimages.org/

Uploading is very straightforward - just click on “choose images”

Then, after upload, click on the ‘paper’ icon to the right of the “Direct Link” ‘row’

Then click on the picture icon here (above) and paste the link between the brackets….and viola!

BTW - FUBeAR has entitled this photo, “Only 1 Bear…but 3 All SoCon OG’s” and he’s very proud of the lot of ‘em! Raised ‘em all from mere pups.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roundball, underjack liked this
 #52549  by Furmanoid
 Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:00 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:17 pm
Thanks, Roundball. That outfit is groovy!

Joe Williams is one of my all time hero’s.
They need to name the court after him or something.
FU69 liked this
 #52552  by OL FU
 Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:02 pm
I was a youngster. but I remember how shocked and happy I was when he left Jacksonville after the being in the finals to come to Furman. An Amazing time for Furman Basketball.
FU69, Davemeister liked this
 #52563  by AstroDin
 Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:14 am
RIP Coach!

I to was a youngster when Joe came to town.
Hearing of his death last night brought up a lot of wonderful memories.
FU69 liked this
 #52568  by furpep
 Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:44 am
Sad to hear this news. Was BB manager for 2 years while he was here. What talent came through the program, and we still strive to reach those glory years. Joe, Bob Dotson and the rest of the staff did not care if you were black or white. They recruited the best players they could bring into the program. These were the early to mid-70's and for some reason Furman today has never truly recognized how BB integrated the school and how we were the early leaders in the south when it came to having black players on the team.
furpop16, Roundball, AstroDin and 2 others liked this
 #52580  by AstroDin
 Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 pm
furpep wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:44 am
Sad to hear this news. Was BB manager for 2 years while he was here. What talent came through the program, and we still strive to reach those glory years. Joe, Bob Dotson and the rest of the staff did not care if you were black or white. They recruited the best players they could bring into the program. These were the early to mid-70's and for some reason Furman today has never truly recognized how BB integrated the school and how we were the early leaders in the south when it came to having black players on the team.
You make a great point! As a kid, I never thought about that —my early basketball idols were Roy Simpson, DJ Jackson, and a bit later Stitch Moore.
cavedweller2, FU69 liked this
 #52583  by gman84
 Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:08 am
I moved to SC in August of 78, I was 16. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see Joe's Furman teams play. His teams did a lot for FU in many ways. RIP ! He was ahead of his time in fashion. With a few tweaks that photo would work today. :D
FU69 liked this
 #52600  by OL FU
 Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:11 pm
My memory isn't what it used to be. Was Williams the coach when we beat South Carolina to advance to the sweet 16 to lose by 2 to Indiana who then went on to win the NC?
FU69 liked this
 #52605  by FurmAlum
 Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:17 pm
I was at FU from '72 -'76. We beat USC in the NCAA Tournament in March of 1974. N.C. State with David Thompson went on to win the National Championship in '74.

I don't remember the Indiana game. My recollection is we lost in the next round to Pittsburgh in a close game.

Indiana won in 1976.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.