• What is the best conference for Furman Football? - Sun Belt?

#52128  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:13 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:05 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:21 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:54 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:35 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:50 am
Pioneer Football League would be the best conference for Furman football. Bring Wofford along if possible but not necessarily. If we bring them along, then we at least have PC and Davidson close. We are spending too much money on football, compared to the benefits, present and future. Focus on basketball (especially basketball) and other sports, though still seeking competitiveness and championships in football, such as Davidson has (finally) done in Pioneer Football League. Either stay in SoCon for all other sports, or preferably get into A-10 or CAA (or some newly -formed conference of a similar quality if we could include perhaps Wofford and Davidson). Reinstate baseball, which could be more feasible with regard to both money and Title IX after we go to Pioneer Football League.
Remember how you felt when you saw Chattanooga’s last second shot go in to win the SoCon Championship and end Furman Basketball’s hope of returning to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 42 years?

FUBeAR felt the same way you did that night.

FUBeAR also feels that exact same feeling when he reads each of your (many & repeated) posts of the nature of this one.

Doubtful that makes any difference to you whatsoever, but FUBeAR wanted you to know.
You do not know how affirm felt when that last-second shot went in. You just assume you do. So your entire post makes no sense. I believe and meant what I wrote about what I think would be the best conference for Furman football. I wrote it in answer to the question of the present thread. I expected to be attacked by many people on UFFP, including you, for even having such thought, and even more for expressing it. I will add to my so-called many and repeated posts whenever I want to.
Again:
I think basketball is more potentially valuable to Furman athletics present and future, especially if we will be intelligent about it and stop looking to the past. Pioneer Football League would be best for Furman football, Furman athletics overall, and Furman University overall.
Original post tediously edited below to tediously remove your tedious objections…

Think about how most Furman Fans felt when they saw Chattanooga’s last second shot go in to win the SoCon Championship and end Furman Basketball’s hope of returning to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 42 years?The looks on their faces, the tears in their eyes, and their posts here and elsewhere on social media will readily inform most feeling humans as to the pain, anger, sadness, and frustration those Furman Fans felt.

FUBeAR, a Furman Fan for nearing a half century, is almost certain he felt the same way most of those Furman Fans felt as they watched that final shot go through the net in Asheville.

FUBeAR also feels that exact same feeling when he reads each of your (many & repeated) posts of the nature of this one.

Doubtful that makes any difference to you whatsoever, but FUBeAR wanted you to know.

* There is no “attack” of you in either the original or revised post
* There is nothing “so-called” about your many & repeated posts expressing your opinions about your desire for Furman Football to be deemphasized and for Furman Football Scholarships to be defunded.
* Unless you are afraid that Stumpy may decide to de-platform you (he won’t), it seems strange to FUBeAR that you feel the need to proclaim your intention to continue posting as you desire, but as ‘they’ said back in the “Free Love” days, “If it feels good, do it!” Nothing in my post that you quoted mentions anything about what you can/should/can’t/shouldn’t post - Only let you know, very honestly, how it makes FUBeAR feel when you frequently post these thoughts and when he reads them.

Question though…Just curious…How many times is the right number of times for you to express that opinion here? Is it 10 times? 100 times? A limitless number of times?
Limitless*, though if it hurts you so much, I will consider trying to post a warning in the beginning saying, “FUBeAR: Something in the following may hurt you, and you are therefore warned to stop reading the rest of this post now please.” I guess if I start a thread, I may have to be overly cautious in my subject line to avoid hurting you, so I will keep that in mind. However, I will not discontinue posting under my “affirm” pseudonym. As ‘they’ said in the days (and now), “Peace”.
*Possibly, 100 more times, though I would expect maybe 1,000 rebuttals or even “attacks”, etc., since we’re on UFFP.
Cool…that would be very helpful…

But, it doesn’t address the damage to the Furman Football program these kinds of posts cause. Football Recruits, along with their families and friends, will visit this site during their Recruiting process. Seeing your “limitless” posts discussing the prospects or possibilities of Furman Football becoming a non-scholarship program would, certainly give them serious apprehension about accepting an offer from Furman when they have options to accept offers from competitive schools/football programs that don’t have anyone even suggesting such a course.

So…FUBeAR is thinking he should add (via quote posting) a disclaimer/advisory to each of your limitless posts of this nature. Something like this…

“affirm” is an online persona. “affirm” has no capacity to make any decisions related to Furman University or Furman Athletics. The opinion or opinions “affirm” has posted here are solely the opinion(s) of “affirm.” These opinions are not the opinions of the leadership of Furman University nor Furman Athletics. Further, these opinions are shared by few, if any, others in the greater Furman Community, to include Furman donors and fans. Furman Football is, and has been for many decades, a Championship NCAA Division I fully-funded FCS scholarship Football program. No changes to that, other than continuing to increase investment in the success of the Football program, are under anyone’s consideration.

…just the 1st draft…prolly need to sharpen it up some more.
FurmAlum, Yadkin liked this
 #52134  by The Cats
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:01 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:02 am
Any conference would be better than the SoCon.
I know that Furman fans are not interested in my opinion, but since the FU fan I'm replying to thinks "any conference is better than the SoCon", I just wanted to inform him that the Big South, OVC, and the ASUN are all three looking for new football members.

Now - if you can just sell that to the FU administration, you'll be set.
FUBeAR liked this
 #52154  by Fred Garvin
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:50 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
Pioneer Football League would be the best conference for Furman football. Bring Wofford along if possible but not necessarily. If we bring them along, then we at least have PC and Davidson close. We are spending too much money on football, compared to the benefits, present and future. Focus on basketball (especially basketball) and other sports, though still seeking competitiveness and championships in football, such as Davidson has (finally) done in Pioneer Football League. Either stay in SoCon for all other sports, or preferably get into A-10 or CAA (or some newly -formed conference of a similar quality if we could include perhaps Wofford and Davidson). Reinstate baseball, which could be more feasible with regard to both money and Title IX after we go to Pioneer Football League.
Remember how you felt when you saw Chattanooga’s last second shot go in to win the SoCon Championship and end Furman Basketball’s hope of returning to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 42 years?

You do not know how affirm felt when that last-second shot went in. You just assume you do. So your entire post makes no sense. I believe and meant what I wrote about what I think would be the best conference for Furman football. I wrote it in answer to the question of the present thread. I expected to be attacked by many people on UFFP, including you, for even having such thought, and even more for expressing it. I will add to my so-called many and repeated posts whenever I want to.
Again:
I think basketball is more potentially valuable to Furman athletics present and future, especially if we will be intelligent about it and stop looking to the past. Pioneer Football League would be best for Furman football, Furman athletics overall, and Furman University overall.
Original post tediously edited below to tediously remove your tedious objections…

Think about how most Furman Fans felt when they saw Chattanooga’s last second shot go in to win the SoCon Championship and end Furman Basketball’s hope of returning to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 42 years?The looks on their faces, the tears in their eyes, and their posts here and elsewhere on social media will readily inform most feeling humans as to the pain, anger, sadness, and frustration those Furman Fans felt.

FUBeAR, a Furman Fan for nearing a half century, is almost certain he felt the same way most of those Furman Fans felt as they watched that final shot go through the net in Asheville.

* There is nothing “so-called” about your many & repeated posts expressing your opinions about your desire for Furman Football to be deemphasized and for Furman Football Scholarships to be defunded.
* Unless you are afraid that Stumpy may decide to de-platform you (he won’t), it seems strange to FUBeAR that you feel the need to proclaim your intention to continue posting as you desire, but as ‘they’ said back in the “Free Love” days, “If it feels good, do it!” Nothing in my post that you quoted mentions anything about what you can/should/can’t/shouldn’t post - Only let you know, very honestly, how it makes FUBeAR feel when you frequently post these thoughts and when he reads them.

Question though…Just curious…How many times is the right number of times for you to express that opinion here? Is it 10 times? 100 times? A limitless number of times?
Limitless*, though if it hurts you so much, I will consider trying to post a warning in the beginning saying, “FUBeAR: Something in the following may hurt you, and you are therefore warned to stop reading the rest of this post now please.” I guess if I start a thread, I may have to be overly cautious in my subject line to avoid hurting you, so I will keep that in mind. However, I will not discontinue posting under my “affirm” pseudonym. As ‘they’ said in the days (and now), “Peace”.
*Possibly, 100 more times, though I would expect maybe 1,000 rebuttals or even “attacks”, etc., since we’re on UFFP.

But, it doesn’t address the damage to the Furman Football program these kinds of posts cause. Football Recruits, along with their families and friends, will visit this site during their Recruiting process. Seeing your “limitless” posts discussing the prospects or possibilities of Furman Football becoming a non-scholarship program would, certainly give them serious apprehension about accepting an offer from Furman when they have options to accept offers from competitive schools/football programs that don’t have anyone even suggesting such a course.

So…FUBeAR is thinking he should add (via quote posting) a disclaimer/advisory to each of your limitless posts of this nature. Something like this…

“affirm” is an online persona. “affirm” has no capacity to make any decisions related to Furman University or Furman Athletics. The opinion or opinions “affirm” has posted here are solely the opinion(s) of “affirm.” These opinions are not the opinions of the leadership of Furman University nor Furman Athletics. Further, these opinions are shared by few, if any, others in the greater Furman Community, to include Furman donors and fans. Furman Football is, and has been for many decades, a Championship NCAA Division I fully-funded FCS scholarship Football program. No changes to that, other than continuing to increase investment in the success of the Football program, are under anyone’s consideration.

Typical basketball mentality. Instead of making an effort to get better dribblers tend to try and find ways to take from those that have it.

"Timmons sucks!" Let's put football in the Pioneer League.
"The Southern Conference sucks!" Let's put football in the Pioneer League.
 #52156  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:22 pm
Fred Garvin wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:50 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:

Again:

Typical basketball mentality. Instead of making an effort to get better dribblers tend to try and find ways to take from those that have it.

"Timmons sucks!" Let's put football in the Pioneer League.
"The Southern Conference sucks!" Let's put football in the Pioneer League.

Fred a bit over board, you can't say typical basketball mentality, there are a ton of peeps at FU nowadays that enjoy Basketball more than Football, but I only know 1 or 2 people that want us to drop scholarship football, everyone else regarding Football would either like to see us remain SoCon or push to get into something bigger
 #52158  by Furmanoid
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:34 pm
Well basketball AND football posters constantly complain that the SoCon is badly abused by selection peeps in both sports. Since there is no way to influence those peeps, we either have to switch or just get better and start getting our auto bids. But we can’t get better because of injuries, academic standards, chronic ED, lack of funds, etc. So switching is a reasonable thing to discuss.

But I agree that the pioneer league is sort of an abomination. Either you’re DIII or you aren’t. Either you believe in scholarships or you don’t.
 #52160  by youwouldno
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:14 pm
MNORM wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:15 am
How long until this thread gets moved to General Idiocy?

The issue is that it doesn't belong in General Idiocy, but rather an as-yet missing category of "Extreme Idiocy."

Anyone who seriously believes it would be smart for Furman to move to the Big South or OVC . . . is so unbearably ignorant regarding college athletics . . . that it's really inappropriate for anyone with that view to share their sports-related thoughts with other human beings, in any medium.
FUBeAR, tim, FurmAlum and 5 others liked this
 #52164  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:59 pm
affirm wrote:
PLEASE BE ADVISED

…thought FUBeAR should test it out
apaladin liked this
 #52165  by Furmanoid
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:20 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:14 pm
MNORM wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:15 am
How long until this thread gets moved to General Idiocy?

The issue is that it doesn't belong in General Idiocy, but rather an as-yet missing category of "Extreme Idiocy."

Anyone who seriously believes it would be smart for Furman to move to the Big South or OVC . . . is so unbearably ignorant regarding college athletics . . . that it's really inappropriate for anyone with that view to share their sports-related thoughts with other human beings, in any medium.
OVC seems like a bad idea because of Murray State.”. But couldn’t we pretty much dominate the Big South in both sports and do playoffs/big dance every year?
 #52180  by FurmAlum
 Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:01 pm
Maybe we could or maybe we couldn't dominate it. Have we been better than Kennesaw State and/or Monmouth in recent years? Also, top to bottom the SoCon is a more competitive conference than the Big South.

The only option is to get better and win more games including winning the SoCon and getting the auto-bid.
dornb, Davemeister liked this
 #52203  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:09 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:59 pm
affirm wrote:
PLEASE BE ADVISED

…thought FUBeAR should test it out

No, this is not a legal matter. It does not have to be that big FUBeAR. If it does for you, then …
 #52204  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:21 am
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:

Again:

Damage to the Furman football program by discussing what is best for Furman football? You’re saying that Furman football is is very fragile and weak.
And I AM much more concerned about strengthening Furman University overall than about any damage, imagined or real, to the Furman football program.
If recruits and families are negatively swayed by good, sensible, valid discussions on UFFP, Furman is perhaps not where they should be going to school anyway .They should just stick with schools that have sites that are rah rah rah all the time.
 #52205  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:25 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:21 am
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
affirm wrote:

Again:

Damage to the Furman football program by discussing what is best for Furman football? You’re saying that Furman football is is very fragile and weak.
And I AM much more concerned about strengthening Furman University overall than about any damage, imagined or real, to the Furman football program.
If recruits and families are negatively swayed by good, sensible, valid discussions on UFFP, Furman is perhaps not where they should be going to school anyway .They should just stick with schools that have sites that are rah rah rah all the time.
PLEASE BE ADVISED
apaladin liked this
 #52219  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:03 pm
FYi - the Big South is a dying conference. They had 9 fb playing members in 2021. 5 have left. Monmouth, Kennesaw St,, NC A&T, Robert Morris and North Alabama have left.

Affirm- The Pioneer League is not feasible. We all know that FU is in financial peril, a very poor university, financially strapped. We cannot even afford a baseball team. The Pioneer has teams in California, Minnesota, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Florida and New York so the travel costs alone would cause FU to close it’s doors.
Rokawaylifer, tim liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.