• 2022-23 Bob Richey, Mike Bothwell, Jalen Slawson return

#51525  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:42 am
bj93 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:32 am
Just hope CBR doesn't go to UGA and take MB and JW with him.

From the AJC "UGA may also seek an audience with Murray State coach Matt McMahon. Furman coach Bob Richey and Chattanooga coach Lamont Paris are among several mid-level head coaches who have expressed interest in UGA’s opening, according to people familiar with the situation."
https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-bull ... SSLOV3B3Q/
I doubt very seriously that CBR has expressed intetest. At least I hope not. I highly doubt the others have contacted them either. They both are in the tourney. Think the “interest” is coming from the UGA side. Wishful thinkng from the AJC imho.
Last edited by apaladin on Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #51526  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:46 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:18 pm
Looks like we are going to be able to play with a bit more size next year than we were able to run with most nights this season
Wonder if we will alter the style of play?Losing Hunter and Garrison will be a blow to the 3 point shooting. Pegues and Anderson have shown potential to fill the void. It would be huge if Foster could shoot better. They say he makes them all the time in practice.
 #51527  by apaladin
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:51 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:26 am
Quote from ETSU fan on their message board:

"Since rejoining the Socon only 4 teams have won the tournament. ETSU has won 2, UTC has won 2, Wofford has won 2 and UNCG has won 2. Furman has probably been the most consistent team in the regular season during this time but don't have any. They'll have another good chance next year I think if Slawson and Bothwell come back."
CBR said yesterday that FU has won more games in the last 5 years than anyone else in the SoCon.
dornb liked this
 #51530  by din23
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Looks like we are going to be able to play with a bit more size next year than we were able to run with most nights this season
Wonder if we will alter the style of play?Losing Hunter and Garrison will be a blow to the 3 point shooting. Pegues and Anderson have shown potential to fill the void. It would be huge if Foster could shoot better. They say he makes them all the time in practice.
Good questions. Foster shot 35% on 80 attempts this year, which isn’t bad at all. Just one percent less than Bothwell. I’m confident he can get closer to 40% with another offseason of work.

Alex Williams and Garrett Hien could also be important shooters.
QCGlue liked this
 #51533  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
One thing I've noticed is every season we say "how do we replace ____?"

Every season we seem to replace those players and not really miss a beat.

Furman has developed a really strong pipeline of players.
din23, dornb, Roundball and 3 others liked this
 #51544  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:02 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:11 pm
Last 7 years FU hoops:

2016 19-16
2017 23-12
2018 23-10
2019 25-8
2020 25-7
2021 16-9 (Covid shortened season)
2022 22-12

Goal for next season remains the same, another 20+ win season and hopefully an NCAA tourney berth
If what you say is true, DungeonRealm, then that is disappointing news.
By that I mean we have reached that goal for 6 consecutive years (counting 2021 as same value as a 20+ win season because it was Covid-shortened), yet we all FEEL disappointed.
So I think the goal for next season NEEDS TO BE 26+ win season and an NCAA tourney berth or definite NIT berth if we happen to stumble in the SoCon tourney.
The word "hopefully" and the phrase "we hope for" should NOT be part of the goal.
We should be tired of being so timid.
 #51547  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:19 pm
din23 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:08 pm
Who is timid?
Whoever has the stated goal of achieving only at the level all of the last 6 years is timid if that achievement has been reached all 6 of the last 6 years but we are clearly disappointed that we did not do better.
And whoever has a goal that includes the idea that we will "hopefully" do better than this year and "hopefully" get an NCAA tourney berth for the first time in 43 years IS timid.
I am not criticizing this team or this coaching staff. I am criticizing the statement of the goal as it was stated.
 #51548  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:27 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:42 am
bj93 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:32 am
Just hope CBR doesn't go to UGA and take MB and JW with him.

From the AJC "UGA may also seek an audience with Murray State coach Matt McMahon. Furman coach Bob Richey and Chattanooga coach Lamont Paris are among several mid-level head coaches who have expressed interest in UGA’s opening, according to people familiar with the situation."
https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-bull ... SSLOV3B3Q/
I doubt very seriously that CBR has expressed intetest. At least I hope not. I highly doubt the others have contacted them either. They both are in the tourney. Think the “interest” is coming from the UGA side. Wishful thinkng from the AJC imho.
FOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE WHO DO NOT GO TO THE ARTICLE YOU LINKED, HERE IS WHAT ELSE IT SAID:
… He signed a six-year, $19.8 million contract with the Bulldogs when he took over the program a year after he was fired by Indiana. If Crean accepts the $3.2 million buyout that his contract calls for ..., he ... earned ... $1.1 million per conference win for the 15 SEC games he won.
Had he continued as the Bulldogs’ coach, Georgia would have paid Crean $7.2 million over the next two years. ...
… the Bulldogs are carrying on a coaching search … with … Atlanta-based … Parker Executive Search. …
At least two ... candidates … [are] Cleveland State coach Dennis Gates and Xavier associate head coach Jonas Hayes. …