• samford game thread

#5147  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:53 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:05 pm
Thanks GoFurman. As predictable as the fall leaves are those who pop up with with the sterling critiques and youknowitall commentary after losses but are quiet as church mice after wins. Sure, all recruiting is on the coaches. Cheek at Elon was a spring 2017 admit who, to his credit, had a good freshman campaign because he WAS basically their QB from the start. Credit Elon for getting a good one in their staff’s first class who could develop from the get-go. Our situation was different with a senior QB in place when this staff took over, so Harris Roberts, basically an inherited walkon who earned a scholarship, had no real development time until this year. Same for Lincoln and most definitely Grainger, who was a Cronic recruit BTW. I’ll cast my lot with Clay Hendrix snd George Quarles and their combined football acumen following one full recruiting class. If you guys want to nitpick and rip play calling and lack of development after every loss, knock yourselves out. Your consistecy on that front is quite obvious.
FYI… Cheek was a Rich Skrosky recruit, so Curt Cignetti inherited him, Cignetti brought Jalen Greene.
 #5149  by Paladin91
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:05 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:05 pm
Thanks GoFurman. As predictable as the fall leaves are those who pop up with with the sterling critiques and youknowitall commentary after losses but are quiet as church mice after wins. Sure, all recruiting is on the coaches. Cheek at Elon was a spring 2017 admit who, to his credit, had a good freshman campaign because he WAS basically their QB from the start. Credit Elon for getting a good one in their staff’s first class who could develop from the get-go. Our situation was different with a senior QB in place when this staff took over, so Harris Roberts, basically an inherited walkon who earned a scholarship, had no real development time until this year. Same for Lincoln and most definitely Grainger, who was a Cronic recruit BTW. I’ll cast my lot with Clay Hendrix snd George Quarles and their combined football acumen following one full recruiting class. If you guys want to nitpick and rip play calling and lack of development after every loss, knock yourselves out. Your consistecy on that front is quite obvious.
First off, this is a football forum with varying opinions. Obviously all of us don't have purple-colored glasses and are drinking the same kool-aid as you. It amazes me how people can't take criticism that is justified. We all want to see the program improve, but most of all, we want to see a quality product on the field. Watching the game Saturday reminded me of years past - no real leadership on the field, both on the player and coaching side. The fans might as well be dead too- could hear paint dry.
 #5153  by Yadkin
 Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:02 am
“Justified criticism; No real coaching leadership on the field”.....statements that somehow come with an expectation of immunity from pushback? And after the team’s starting QB, who last week carved up Wofford and was named SoCon POW, exited late in the 1Q with an apparent concussion? Man, you and a couple of folks are brutal. Take Hodges, Tiano, Newman, Herink, Adams, or any other starting SoCon QB out of the game in the 1Q and see how their offenses perform.
DeepPurple, fufanatic, Bootie and 1 others liked this
 #5154  by DeepPurple
 Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:37 am
No leadership on the field or sideline? Are you kidding me? The only thing that reminds me of days gone by are the handful of moaning comments. We all want to win and want to win now, but anyone with any football IQ knows it will take some time. That was a true freshman with 1 year experience as a HS QB playing against a really good Samford team, who was picked to win the conference. I think they are the best team in the conference. I have full confidence in the players and coaching staff. This squad truly needs to take it one game at a time. We were maybe one big play (not fumbling on the TD return) from winning that game, who knows. It is what it is.
Bootie, dornb, Jasper liked this
 #5161  by fufanatic
 Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:13 pm
While I left the game bummed, I was certainly encouraged. Defense held them to 10 points in the first half, bending but not breaking for much of the game until the wheels fell off in the 3rd Q when they were exhausted. We were up 19-10 with about 9 minutes to go in the 3rd Q, had the ball on the Samford side of the 50 after a big turnover and have a soul-crushing fumble recovery for a TD. If we had scored points there, I think we win that game. I've never seen momentum change so quickly. HR going out was a game changer, but give Grainger credit for putting together a few nice drives. The pass for a TD was a beauty. Had two others that could have been scores. He has a rocket arm. Excited to see him develop ... think he could be special, just has to work on turnover prevention.

It is so easy to see how different the offense is - especially the playcalling - when the 5th-year senior is under center and not a true freshman QB. Our kicker is one of the best in the country, maybe at any level. Those first half kicks were remarkable.

Overall, not the season we hoped for, but I'm encouraged that this coaching staff will get this young team to be something special over the next few years.
DeepPurple, hypercycloid, FUKA61 and 6 others liked this
 #5171  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:57 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:02 am
“Justified criticism; No real coaching leadership on the field”.....statements that somehow come with an expectation of immunity from pushback? And after the team’s starting QB, who last week carved up Wofford and was named SoCon POW, exited late in the 1Q with an apparent concussion? Man, you and a couple of folks are brutal. Take Hodges, Tiano, Newman, Herink, Adams, or any other starting SoCon QB out of the game in the 1Q and see how their offenses perform.
I am NOT a purple glasses guy. I’ve caught my share of criticism. :D

And even I am liking Hendrix etc. Saturday stunk. No doubt.

But we actually have an example of the same item - losing a key Qb at another program. Tyrie Adams. And Western has NOT won since he was hurt. It’s just too much to overcome. That’s the exact same example. Adams out. at WCU - they lose every game
 #5178  by cavedweller2
 Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:27 pm
When Grainger is a jr and sr this loss will be long forgotten. His 3 deep throws (2 incomplete but spot on the money) were excellent passes. He is going to be a force to be reckoned with especially after he puts 25 lbs on his frame and gets another spring and fall under his belt.
FUKA61, din23, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #5183  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:53 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:27 pm
When Grainger is a jr and sr this loss will be long forgotten. His 3 deep throws (2 incomplete but spot on the money) were excellent passes. He is going to be a force to be reckoned with especially after he puts 25 lbs on his frame and gets another spring and fall under his belt.
I'm in agreement with this.

If you go back and watch Grainger's high school film, he ran a spread style version of "hero ball." This is his second year playing QB, now at a much higher level, and in a completely different type of offense. I actually think we should really be encouraged by what we've seen this year.

Roberts is a 5th year senior, 20 lbs heavier from years in a college weight program (Grainger is bigger as a freshman than Roberts was), and ran a similar run-based offense in high school, where he was also the starting QB for a number of years. So, Roberts may have, what, 5 more years playing QB?
DeepPurple, AstroDin, dornb and 1 others liked this