• samford game thread

#5099  by Yadkin
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:45 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:11 pm
I don’t understand what the coaches see in Granger that makes them ignore Lincoln. I suppose they brought him into the program so they like something, but Lincoln just looks more comfortable running the option and the bootleg.
So you’re wondering why the coaches brought Grainger into the program? Good grief, what a clueless comment.
 #5102  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 am
Yadkin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
I don’t understand what the coaches see in Granger that makes them ignore Lincoln. I suppose they brought him into the program so they like something, but Lincoln just looks more comfortable running the option and the bootleg.
So you’re wondering why the coaches brought Grainger into the program? Good grief, what a clueless comment.
No, the question is why Granger has a longer leash than Lincoln when it comes to playing time. I understand they see something in him which is why they brought him in the program, but as it was said a few posts up, he is a true freshman. Lincoln just looks better suited to run the offense right now. Granger needs to bulk up and learn the speed of Socon football. The guy was only a QB for one year in HS. Nothing wrong with letting him develop into a very good QB one day.
 #5103  by Jasper
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 am
Yadkin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
No, the question is why Granger has a longer leash than Lincoln when it comes to playing time. I understand they see something in him which is why they brought him in the program, but as it was said a few posts up, he is a true freshman. Lincoln just looks better suited to run the offense right now. Granger needs to bulk up and learn the speed of Socon football. The guy was only a QB for one year in HS. Nothing wrong with letting him develop into a very good QB one day.
I agree that Lincoln looked better yesterday than Grainger. I think much of that had to do with when they were playing. Grainger was in there when the game was on the line and Samford was playing intense football. He did not play very well. By the time Lincoln came in the game was essentially over and they were not as motivated. They didn't really care if we scored a meaningless TD at the end of the game or not. I think what the coaches see in Grainger is a 6 '4" very young man whose body has not yet matured and who has very limited QB experience. He is likely to get a lot of snaps in practice and more importantly in the next 4 games. He is just not used to the speed of the college game right now. But it is easy to imagine him coming back next year at 6'5" and 225-230 lbs. and even getting bigger as he matures. There are not a lot of QBs in FCS football like that. If we believe in our coaching staff, then we have to appreciate their judgement in these matters. Yesterday's game took a dramatic turn for the worse when Harris Roberts had his bell ring early on and did not return.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #5104  by Paladin91
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:21 am
Let's not all put the blame on Grainger for the turnovers. The coaching staff hasn't really set the world on fire in terms of calling ingenious plays this season for Grainger- they seemed to only be comfortable letting him run the QB option, save a couple of play action calls where our receivers weren't ready for the ball. Our play calling sucks this year!

And it terms of Hodges having all day to throw the ball, just look at Samford's offensive line - every guy is 6'6 and over 300 pounds - they dwarf our offensive line. Our Offensive line needs a lot of work still.
 #5108  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:39 am
Not sure that I agree that our play calling has sucked all season - that said - when Grainger and Lincoln are in Quarles does appear to run a simpler game.
 #5111  by Yadkin
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:06 am
So now the play calling by our coaches sucks, for a true freshman QB who hadn’t played in a month? Just how wide open should the playbook be for a guy whose college career is about 11 weeks old? Please reference any other true freshman SoCon QBs or FCS QBs who are running wide open offenses and putting up any, if decent numbers. We’ll wait for your knowledgable response.
Last edited by Yadkin on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FU69 liked this
 #5115  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:17 am
This is a young team that cannot handle adversity obviously When something goes wrong we become a different team. I agree with TYA, the defense played well until the offense became Santa Claus. How about the "crowd"? Worst homecoming crowd in the history of Furman FB. I know there were a very few drops of rain 30-45 minutes before KO but this is sad.
QCGlue, FU69 liked this
 #5116  by Paladin91
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:19 am
Yadkin wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:06 am
So now the play calling by our coaches sucks, for a true freshman QB who hadn’t played in a month? Just how wide open should the playbook be for a guy whose college career is about 11 weeks old? Please reference any other true freshman SoCon QBs or FCS QBs who are running wide open offenses and putting ip any, if decent numbers. We’ll wait for your knowledgable response.
Come on, let's get real. If your Freshman QB doesn't know the playbook, then don't even put him in a position to fail unless you want to use it as a teaching experience. The offense under Harris and Grainger has dropped off since last year - this is due in part to Cronic's departure - you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out. Go look at the numbers Cronic is putting up in his first season with a team that was not very good last year. And if I remember, Armanti Edwards had some pretty fantastic freshman QB numbers and took ASU to the playoffs. Case closed.
 #5117  by Yadkin
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:09 pm
Armanti Edwards? From 12 years ago? You have to be kidding. Thanks for the laugh. And you want to lay this on the coaching staff, minus Drew Cronic? Certainly nothing against Drew Cronic, but he inherited a QB with 19 game appearances, 13 starts, and nearly 2,500 career passing yards a year ago. Harris Roberts hadn’t started a game and had thrown for a grand total of 114 yards as a Paladin coming into the season after missing most of the preseason with a broken thumb. If you can’t appreciate the difference in what that means to an offense, its capabilities, and likely production, you are definitely playing without a full deck.
AstroDin, furman88, FUBeAR liked this
 #5122  by youwouldno
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:27 pm
It's 100% on the coaching staff. They had 2 classes to find someone that would be playable this year behind Roberts, they signed 3 guys, and none are viable options. The idea that it's impossible to find a decent young QB is complete BS. Numerous teams have done exactly that, with Elon being a prime example.
PaladinDad, bj93 liked this
 #5127  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:44 pm
I’ll agree there should be a viable QB in the junior or sophomore class. One is playing receiver etc. But there should be another older QB. ***But this coaching regime has been there starting LAST YEAR. These coaches are doing a great job !

The lack of a junior QB is on the PRIOR coaching regime - these current coaches have only had two years to recruit. And really just one Full year.
QCGlue liked this
 #5130  by Yadkin
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:05 pm
Thanks GoFurman. As predictable as the fall leaves are those who pop up with with the sterling critiques and youknowitall commentary after losses but are quiet as church mice after wins. Sure, all recruiting is on the coaches. Cheek at Elon was a spring 2017 admit who, to his credit, had a good freshman campaign because he WAS basically their QB from the start. Credit Elon for getting a good one in their staff’s first class who could develop from the get-go. Our situation was different with a senior QB in place when this staff took over, so Harris Roberts, basically an inherited walkon who earned a scholarship, had no real development time until this year. Same for Lincoln and most definitely Grainger, who was a Cronic recruit BTW. I’ll cast my lot with Clay Hendrix snd George Quarles and their combined football acumen following one full recruiting class. If you guys want to nitpick and rip play calling and lack of development after every loss, knock yourselves out. Your consistecy on that front is quite obvious.
Stumpy, AstroDin, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #5141  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:09 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:05 pm
Thanks GoFurman. As predictable as the fall leaves are those who pop up with with the sterling critiques and youknowitall commentary after losses but are quiet as church mice after wins. Sure, all recruiting is on the coaches. Cheek at Elon was a spring 2017 admit who, to his credit, had a good freshman campaign because he WAS basically their QB from the start. Credit Elon for getting a good one in their staff’s first class who could develop from the get-go. Our situation was different with a senior QB in place when this staff took over, so Harris Roberts, basically an inherited walkon who earned a scholarship, had no real development time until this year. Same for Lincoln and most definitely Grainger, who was a Cronic recruit BTW. I’ll cast my lot with Clay Hendrix snd George Quarles and their combined football acumen following one full recruiting class. If you guys want to nitpick and rip play calling and lack of development after every loss, knock yourselves out. Your consistecy on that front is quite obvious.
Yep. I think all coaches deserve 4/5 years. Furman does a good job allowing this. Our first year w Hendrix was awesome. Do we all want to win even more. Yes. Do I HATE losing? Yes. But I try to keep perspective ..

I think many underestimated how much Schmidt and Bush did for us last year. It's good to Try to appreciate each years seniors - I love what Roberts and Dirks are doing. So impressed w what Roberts has accomplished this year! Jaylan Reid is a MAN. Anoor has been a great player. Nice pick v Samford !!! Okonya, etc. we appreciate all of you.

I think our O COULD improve next year as long as we develop our QBs. It's possible all TEN OL return, all WRs and All RBs return with the exception of Dirks and Gipson. So,our O will lose two starters - Roberts at QB and Dirks at RB. That's it.
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #5145  by AlValonge
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:39 pm
I will be very clear on my perspective. Let's whip the Citadel this weekend and finish strong. Sure, this year has been disappointing and I think we are better than our record reflects, but that is irrelevant. We are still building our team and the future should be bright if we continue to recruit, develop our talent, and increase our depth. I believe that we have the right HC to do just that and am looking forward to see how our team responds.
AstroDin, dornb, FUpaladin08 and 3 others liked this
 #5146  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:51 pm
AlValonge wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:39 pm
I will be very clear on my perspective. Let's whip the Citadel this weekend and finish strong. Sure, this year has been disappointing and I think we are better than our record reflects, but that is irrelevant. We are still building our team and the future should be bright if we continue to recruit, develop our talent, and increase our depth. I believe that we have the right HC to do just that and am looking forward to see how our team responds.
Agree. I SURE hope the team responds and doesn't pack it in in any way. Coaches AND players are responsible for not getting down just bc it's possible we don't have a postseason.

Also. IF we finish 6-4 or 5-5 that's not disappointing .. In retrospect we had Clemson, Elon was top 5. That leaves 8 SoCon games. There just wasn't much margin for error.

Many feel the Citadel packed it in last year. One telling item about a coaching staff is 'do their teams pack it in or give up in tough situations?' Or do we play every game hard regardless our record or situation - Please BEAT CITADEL