• NSD Feb 2

#49712  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:40 am
I've waited for YEARS for us to sign WR's with this much potential, what a great sign it is to land these two today
Affirm, FU69 liked this
 #49824  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:25 am
Can we expect any more players or is this it?
 #49829  by AstroDin
 Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:26 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:25 am
Can we expect any more players or is this it?
I believe this wraps it up other than Tyler Huff officially signing in the spring.
 #49856  by AstroDin
 Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:59 am
I've done a poor job tracking PWO offers and commits - Furman has had several PWO commits that look really interesting. Furman received another commit yesterday from another Texan.

Ben Croasdale RB/H Back Highland Park TX
5-11 185

Croasdale's film is worth checking out for a 185 pound running back he's a powerful runner and blocker.

>>
 #49991  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:05 am
This looks like another strong class for Furman.

There were some notable departures from the 2021 roster, but two of the seniors (Blackshear and Sochovoka) have opted to return. Those are not necessarily "additions," but are key "non-subtractions" to the defensive side of the ball.

The one position where we sort of got left at the altar in the December signing window was at WR. Furman seems to have addressed this with two signees in February. One of those signings is an Air Force prep player, which is a route we've had success with - essentially getting a player that would have played a year of post-high school football without using any eligibility.

The one potential trouble spot in terms of recruiting was going to be defensive line, where we lost three key players (Lewis, Lawrence, Stokes). Again, Sochovka returning helps cushion that blow, as he was our starter before an early injury. The Lehigh transfer, Stephens, will also likely mitigate some the loss of Lawrence, especially considering how well Bryce Stanfield played last year.

Furman also addressed perhaps the weakest area of depth - QB. As usual, we will be thin at QB again this spring with the transfer QB and Jones not scheduled to arrive. I imagine Jace Wilson will get a ton of reps this spring, which will be massively beneficial to him.

One roster-related question I will be interested to see sorted out is the RB/TB situation. Furman has stacked a stable of running backs and has typically operated the last few years in a 2 back system. Roper has frequently operated a single back system.
 #49992  by Davemeister
 Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:13 am
The Jackal wrote:

All our recruiting classes look strong - on paper. I'll withhold judgement until I see these guys on the field.
apaladin liked this
 #49996  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:10 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:13 am
The Jackal wrote:

All our recruiting classes look strong - on paper. I'll withhold judgement until I see these guys on the field.

I think we can all agree that every recruiting class needs to prove itself on the field.

That said, I think Furman did what they needed to do - added depth on the OL, rebuilt the QB room, found some key additions at WR, and found ways to soften the departure of key players along the defensive front.

Now, do we have an immediate and obvious replacement for Adrian Hope and his pass rush? Not sure. Are there still questions at QB? Yes, but probably fewer than at this time last season.
 #49997  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:11 pm
I had not noticed this originally, but condolences to the broadcast team now that Furman has two 6'2 180+ lbs WRs named Harris.
AstroDin, FU69, Jasper liked this
 #50783  by The Jackal
 Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:51 am
There are a few PWOs joining the ranks as well.

These are always interesting to follow. We've had some all americans that started as PWOs and immediately made an impact on the field.

#50896  by AstroDin
 Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:30 pm
Furman picked up what looks like another quality PWO commit.
Owen Plan
Brookland-Cayce
6’1 201 | All State MLB/OLB/TE
4.55 GPA
SC Shrine Bowl & North-South Bowl Selection
had several PWO offers including the citadel.

dornb, Affirm, apaladin liked this
 #50988  by gofurman
 Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:17 am
I'm not sure - I believe CCH did say they left a few slots open to fill.

Fast Forward with a new OC coach having some open slots to fill with a few offensive players can help jump-start what Roper and Bratton want to do.

Ferguson WR — COMMITTED
Harris WR — OFFER (I hope we've got a great shot of landing Harris)

I have no idea which school Bennett will choose. He's an explosive athlete and I don't blame him if he feels he deserves an FBS shot. Would be a versatile weapon for the DINS.
Reggion Bennett ATH — OFFERED (19 offers, de-commit from Buffalo, teammate of Tre McLeod)

WIldcard to keep in mind. Furman also brought in a young, highly-successful OL coach with his own recruiting connections. Coach Cutch! Cutch is followed by some very interesting players not sure if Furman has offered any.
So I am to assume the top FBS ' guy Bennett did choose to go elsewhere? EDIT - looks like he chose the Gamecocks... the JSU Gamecocks. Boo...

I still think we need a little more speed at WR. Look what Harris did for us ! We need two of those. We had that with Bratton and Ike West - what a tandem. Now that is recruiting. I think the optimum is two flat-out burners and one 'catch everything that is thrown his way' guy (like a Ryan DeLuca). That is hard to stop. WIth the loss of DeLuca we have Harris as a burner and need at least Two others to step up - one speedster and one 'DeLuca' !

Anyway, so glad Blackshear and Sochovoka returned.. those are HUGE

Still, My main concerns are PASS RUSH and WR. I think it's clear we have lost more on DL than we gained. that was one of our best DL in a good while last year. Well, and we really need a more consistent running game of some sort to take pressure off everyone. Whether it be the RB or Jace keeping the ball or someone. We need to average about 4 yards per run. That will win a lot of games. I think we averaged about 2 yards per rush in a lot of games last year.. that just will NOT cut it. Put a hat on a hat and knock them off the ball !! Great to hear about WRs but I wouldn't mind if we never threw the ball ever... JUST WIN. Run it every time for 5 yards and keep their O on the sideline
 #50990  by gofurman
 Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:43 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:35 am
As an aside, I didn't see that London Lewis signed anywhere.
I don't guess there is any chance we could get him back ?

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.