• Spring Practice

#50469  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:56 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:20 am
It was a year ago Saturday (3rd Saturday in February) Furman kicked off their 2020 season against Western Carolina.

What a wild 12 months.
It was also the first spring without baseball. We had a few fb games to ease the pain. This spring and summer are goung to be long and sad! Thanks again E.D.
 #50481  by AstroDin
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:57 am
It's hard to tell much from a short practice video.
You can tell Jace is comfortable and he throws a dart to Joshua Harris.
We also see a few sneak peeks at Myion Hicks and Grant Robinson.
 #50485  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:25 am
There's a QB wearing No. 7. Not sure who that is.

I imagine Jace Wilson is getting the lion's share of the reps. It'll be fun to see what he does with a full off season under his belt.
 #50494  by Jasper
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:57 am
REFLECT & RELATE
- Review old ‘system’ / returning Players. Find similarities & incorporate where desired. Assess Players for ‘fit’ within new system.
- Relate ‘big picture’ aspects of new system to Players - especially QB’s and those potentially changing positions. Give them the “why”

TELL
- Terminology (essentially a glossary)
- Procedures (play calls, huddle, audibles, check-with-me’s, snap count, etc.) with visuals in some cases
- Techniques - some will be new, have new names
- Plays/Series (plays that are in the same ‘family’ or paired) with visuals & position-by-position descriptions/rules - Basics/Base Offense 1st and building on new ‘blocks’ of Total System as previous Base & Blocks are mastered.

SHOW
- Film Study (if available) of “Perfect Plays” in new system by Team/Position Group/1-on-1 (particularly w/QB’s)
- Coaches / Ex-Players / GA’s on-field walk-thru techniques by position group (where possible)

DO
- walk-thru procedures until near-perfect. Perfect comes with additional reps
- practice techniques by position group (on air & live (walk, 1/2 speed, full speed))
- practice plays/series by position group using most procedures & all techniques ( same as above)

REVIEW
- on-field Coaching-on-the-fly of all of the above…sight evaluation, correction (tell/show), repeat
- video review of practices by Coaches to assess any tweaks to ‘system,’ Players’ positions, etc.
- video review of practices by Players w/Coaches by Team & Position Group & 1-on-1 - for corrections & for “perfect” examples

APPLY & FLY
- Scrimmages & Spring game (Flying with a net)

REPEAT above with learnings from each Practice, Scrimmage, and Spring Game

….apply these learnings to pre-season tweaks & add additional ‘blocks’ of system in pre-season
Thank you, Bear. That is an excellent breakdown of what looks like a very big job to me. Depending on how similar the old and the new systems are, it seems like this will take some time. Also, a new O line coach with I am sure some technique & responsibility differences. It sure would help if we had an experienced QB crew but it is what it is. I would hope that the foundation plays will be in during the spring followed by a very busy late summer session. As I recall this is very much the same situation that Drew Cronic was in when he came in as OC a few years back and that appeared to be pretty seamless. That offense was the best I have seen at Furman and look forward to this one having the same success. I think Roper will be pleased with the talent at Furman as compared to HC. It looks to me as if we have the makings of a really good receiver corps and the RB position is very strong. I expect Dominic Roberto to have a big season for one. Once again, thanks for the tutorial. What kind of timeline do you expect to see?
FUBeAR liked this
 #50497  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:15 pm
I don't think that it is a monumental task.

Furman was already running elements of Roper's preferred offensive style, so there will be less of a learning curve. Roper's offense is probably closer to what many of these QBs were running prior to arriving at Furman.
 #50499  by FUBeAR
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:12 pm
Agree - not a monumental task. [Certainly not the >3 year task that Wofford’s HC seems to want to claim].

Hard work that requires “extra” hours and extra attention to detail, but that is why our Coaches get paid the big $$$ and why our Players get paid their scholarships & NIL money. They’ve all done it before at some level.

Should have >75% of basic O installed by end of Spring Practice with the remaining < 25% + finer points & lagniappe installed during Pre-Season practice & ready to debut on 9/1.

BTW - If you want to hear Woffy’s 4th OC since June of 2021 describe how Woffy is gonna run a spread West Coast O…and, inside of 3 minutes, already start making excuses & saying how long it’s going to take and how much patience is needed, you can do that here … https://soundcloud.com/user-216756026/swatson-half
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rokawaylifer liked this
 #50504  by Rokawaylifer
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:56 pm
Lagniappe? Love it.
FUBeAR wrote:
Agree - not a monumental task. [Certainly not the >3 year task that Wofford’s HC seems to want to claim].

Hard work that requires “extra” hours and extra attention to detail, but that is why our Coaches get paid the big $$$ and why our Players get paid their scholarships & NIL money. They’ve all done it before at some level.

Should have >75% of basic O installed by end of Spring Practice with the remaining < 25% + finer points & lagniappe installed during Pre-Season practice & ready to debut on 9/1.

BTW - If you want to hear Woffy’s 4th OC in 2+ years describe how Woffy is gonna run a spread West Coast O…and, inside of 3 minutes, already start making excuses & saying how long it’s going to take and how much patience is needed, you can do that here … https://soundcloud.com/user-216756026/swatson-half
FUBeAR liked this
 #50507  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:44 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

BTW - If you want to hear Woffy’s 4th OC in 2+ years describe how Woffy is gonna run a spread West Coast O…and, inside of 3 minutes, already start making excuses & saying how long it’s going to take and how much patience is needed, you can do that here … https://soundcloud.com/user-216756026/swatson-half

They named three offensive coordinators this year, so I guess that’ll speed it up
 #50562  by AstroDin
 Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:21 pm
Made a pitstop in Berea-TR land and watched today's practice.
A few random observations;

It's hard to miss Coach Roper at 6-6/6-7 he's easy to find on the field. He's a very active coach (as I guessed) with lots of drill and technique work happening with the QBs Receivers and Running Backs. Maybe Jackal or Bear can add here—lots of footwork drill stuff for the QBs.

To my left, I couldn't help but watch Coach Spangler and the DBs. Coach Spangler is an intense/high-energy guy. Spangler was pushing them pretty hard—granted they're an experienced group. More on this below.

I also moved around a bit to get a better look at the O-Line and our new coach, Coach Cutch. Our new OL coach also is a high-energy guy and I noticed very physically active coaching getting in and out of stances, and demonstrating techniques similar to Coach Roper.

Contact. To say the D-Line shows a bit of swagger is an understatement. Number 0 (Coleman) led the defense over to go O on D and this was one of the more spirited practice sessions I've seen in a long time. The O line and the D line went at it—saw a few players get locked-up scrapping and getting testy.

The DBs were fast and aggressive, having Cally Chizik and Ivan Yates is going to be important. Chizik made a great break on a pass for an INT. Also, Yates appears to have grown some - he's noticeable the bigger of the DBs.

Back to the offense… I'll try to hit on a few things.
Furman did a lot of I think 7/7 drills, things were moving quickly.
Miller. Whittemore, Healey all were rotating at TE.
Furman appears to be using Noah Henderson in different receiving positions.
Bell, Bailor Hughes, Harris were making most of the catches. Good to see Bailor getting reps.
Runningbacks—what's not to love?
You can't miss Roberto he appears ready to be the leader of a deep bench of running backs.
The coaches have a lot of weapons to utilize at RB; Roberto, Abrams, Anderson, Thomas, Hicks, Robinson, and Tyler Reid. All had some very good runs in the drills.
dornb, Affirm, apaladin and 2 others liked this
 #50598  by AstroDin
 Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:01 am
Forgot to mention Carson Jones and his dad were watching the practice.
Carson appears to me to be a legit 6-2.
FUBeAR, apaladin liked this
 #50601  by Furmanoid
 Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:49 am
Sounds real good so far. Like that they are concentrating on the little things that can actually be big things like stance and footwork.
FUBeAR, apaladin liked this
 #50618  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:31 pm
I am anxious to see how Furman has been able to develop some depth at TE and how that interplays with Coach Roper's system.

Furman has been blessed over the years with a long line of really solid TEs. At this level, it can be a tough position to recruit, and certainly difficult to recruit multiple quality players at the position.

Over the last 10 years or so, most of our best players at the position were (1) converted "athletes" and (2) started a ton of games. Miller, Fletcher, Anderson, etc. were all guys that didn't play exclusively TE in high school. I think Anderson and Fletcher were walk-on QBs at Furman.

You might have to go back to Larry Hedden* and Chris Truss to find the last time Furman really featured multiple TEs at a time. I think we might see that this year, though.

Holy Cross frequently utilized multiple TEs. One player would line up "in-line" and a second in an H Back role. A couple of examples:

Here's a cool play from their playoff game against Villanova. One TE on the end of the line. Second goes in motion and then 'Nova just loses him.

Another example - both TEs to the right side. The play is a run back to the left (the defense's weaker side).

Just looking at the roster, Whittemore and Healy are, as freshmen, already going to have benefitted from a year in the weight room. These guys are 230+.

For comparison's sake, Duncan Fletcher was listed a shade over 200lbs as a freshman (he finished at 234 as a senior). Miller was listed at 208 as a freshman. So, these two are already much bigger than some of their predecessors at a similar point in their careers.

If those two can develop and earn some playing time, it may give Furman some unique options offensively. Miller is a nightmare matchup for defenses, and perhaps one of the most difficult-to-defend players in the FCS. If you can add another pass-catching/blocking TE to the rotation, that will free up Miller to do some damage.

*I had occasion to find this clip of Hedden. I had forgotten how tough he was for Defenses to stop.
furman88 liked this
 #50635  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:36 am
Spoke with one of our long time assistants at the b-ball game Saturday. He said the staff is fired up about the new hires and there is an increased level of energy and excitement among the players. I could tell he was genuinely excited about the state of the program.
We undoubtedly brought more technical knowledge to the QB position, more experience to the OL, and Coach Spangler is an experienced and high energy coach with a very good record as defensive coach.
FUBeAR, bj93, dornb and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.