#5018  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:02 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:39 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:32 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:11 pm
Samford. A little hurt - never seen this ... After two injuries at FS they have a guy listedas Backing up himself "Former all state Koi Freeman was definitely our starter. Pettway, a 5th year Sr. had experience in playing that position, but was hurt in the opening game, and hasn't returned. Since FSU I believe we have had 3 different starters at FS. I just looked at game notes, and the player who I think is a former walk-on is listed as backing up himself at FS. I also see where we will start a true Fr. at SS. Definitely an injury depleted secondary, but next man up."

https://samfordsports.com/documents/201 ... n_2018.pdf

He's right. They have a FS listed as backing up himself if you page down the two deep. Also possibly their center number 77 Lee and LB nbr 24 Atkinson may be out. So a few injuries on defense. Mainly in secondary.

Still, they out gained FSU by 100 yards. I don't care how bad FSU was is. That's a bunch of 5 star athletes. Samford put up over 500 yards on FSU. FSU gained 460 or so
Unless they've changed, Samford tends to produce one depth chart at the beginning of the season and never changes it publicly.

So, if you see a depth chart they publish, it's usually their preseason depth chart.
They’ve been updating it this year. Still full of errors. I’m sure the Player ‘backing up himself’ is because of a failure to update the new backup’s name in the file. They have over 120 on their roster. I’m sure they have a 5th or 6th Team Player that they could have dropped in there.

They also have the following listed as the HT/WT for 1 of their OLmen...

(6-6, 3-7, Jr.)

They have definitely been bitten by the injury bug in their Secondary & they have some talent issues back there also. Glass #31 is an excellent CB & that Former walk-on Safety, Barton #19, has been doing much better than the others they have had back there. They had a CB on the 2 deep in the past (who is no longer on there), who could not make a play without ridiculously interfering, including against Shorter. (Maybe he should play for Yale...but that’s another story.) I suspect we are going to test them a good bit back there. FUBeAR would find #31 & go elsewhere with the ball though. They are pretty good up front. NG Roberts #97 has been very strong & we know Gooden can play. The other 2 DLmen aren’t bad either. 1 of their LB’s is a strong Player - #34 Harris & the LB they have playing now due to injury, Floyd #26, has been productive. Overall, on D, they are relatively inexperienced, if not, necessarily, “young.” They have quite a few upperclassmen on the 2 deep that have not played much meaningful football until this season...but neither had FU’s QB...and we see how that’s working out...so...gonna be a good one Sat.
Y. FUBeAR is right. I did a lil looking and this year they have updated their depth chart. It may not be 100% right but it's better.

Starting C 77 may be out ..... and LB 24 may be out too (thus LB 26 that FUbear mentions is playing now). To FUBeAR point the most injuries are in the secondary. The FS and SS are probably hurt. Numbers. 10 and 23. Now possibly playing at safety are numbers 19 and 13. A walk on and a freshman. Combined w losing Sulaman (?) at LB and several others from last year their D should hopefully be weaker this year. Their O is freakin scary
 #5021  by furman88
 Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:30 am
Forget the injuries we want to beat them at their best. No excuses. We are capable and I think it will happen. Defense steps up this week.
 #5022  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:45 am
If Furman runs its offense like it did last week, I feel like we'll be in the game. We had some let downs offensively, but I think we've sort of settled our identity and figured out who we are.

Not sure how you prepare to defense it. Teams spend a lot of time on the option, and while Furman is not an "option team," they run it often enough and well enough that you have to prepare for it every play.

Ok, so you prepare for the option.

What about the passing game? Furman throws it pretty well too. This isn't a situation where a running back turned QB hocks the ball downfield 4 or 5 times a game. Furman has dangerous receivers and a QB that can sling it.

Ok, so they'll spread the field too and throw it. We can handle that.

Oh, and find someone to cover the backs and tightends. Yes, Furman will use their backs almost like 4th and 5th receivers. They can all catch and they can all run. But don't forget about the option. It's still there too.

Ok, so we'll stop the option, the spread pass, and then the backs and receivers. We'll just put 6 defensive backs up there and cover everyone.

Oh, don't forget the fullbacks and the inside run game. Wait-what? Yes, Furman can and often will come back inside with powers and traps with bigger backs.
AstroDin liked this
 #5023  by furman88
 Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:13 am
Our offense is now making you defend the entire field, hard to defend all the options in play. This hybird offense is making alot of sense utlizing talents of our personnel. I think it is cutting edge as was the spread when it surfaced. Defensive players and coaches having to think and guess versus reading and reacting is good for us.
If I was Samford I would try to run 12 players and maybe bring Bobby Bowben.
AstroDin liked this
 #5024  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:45 am
If Furman runs its offense like it did last week, I feel like we'll be in the game. We had some let downs offensively, but I think we've sort of settled our identity and figured out who we are.

Not sure how you prepare to defense it. Teams spend a lot of time on the option, and while Furman is not an "option team," they run it often enough and well enough that you have to prepare for it every play.

Ok, so you prepare for the option.

What about the passing game? Furman throws it pretty well too. This isn't a situation where a running back turned QB hocks the ball downfield 4 or 5 times a game. Furman has dangerous receivers and a QB that can sling it.

Ok, so they'll spread the field too and throw it. We can handle that.

Oh, and find someone to cover the backs and tightends. Yes, Furman will use their backs almost like 4th and 5th receivers. They can all catch and they can all run. But don't forget about the option. It's still there too.

Ok, so we'll stop the option, the spread pass, and then the backs and receivers. We'll just put 6 defensive backs up there and cover everyone.

Oh, don't forget the fullbacks and the inside run game. Wait-what? Yes, Furman can and often will come back inside with powers and traps with bigger backs.
Good stuff. Hope we are able to keep our O on the field ... Agree with what you say based on last week. O was strong. The one piece I am not as sure of as the rest is the power inside run game. I realize Woff has a strength in defending that but we. Are struggling to get a yard given two or three tries. Vs western we went for it on 4th and one on our own 19. We got it. On fourth down. But I believe we had THREE tries to get that one yard. Western's D shouldn't require us three tries to get one yard. Our O looked great last week. Not arguing that. And they have a great DL so we avoided it. But twice on that long drive late to seal it up it took us three tries again to get one yard. Once at about the 15 yd line and once to get in the end zone. I actually thought we might should fake the dive and pitch it out to guy in space.

Feel much better about our run D now. Option D. No jinx - let's see a decent pass D this week
 #5040  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:44 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:25 pm
In regards to the weather, it does say mainly in the morning and only a quarter of an inch, so if this forecast is good(which it won't be) then the weather for the 2PM game should be ok. Of course the forecast will change 5-10 times between now and Saturday. As for the defense why don't we blitz more on 3rd and long. Seems like every time in that situation we give the QB too much time to throw.
Like I said this has changed many times already. Latest is AM showers and just 40%. Should be good by the 2pm ko.
 #5046  by Flagman
 Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:18 am
Sammy has an OL of 300 pounders who just stand there and keep everything out of the backfield.
 #5050  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:47 pm
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 674680002/
“When you watch them on tape, they are easily – in my opinion – the most talented group in our league,” Furman coach Clay Hendrix said of the Bulldogs. “Just bodies. Skill. Size. Both sides of the ball.”
Hard to overstate the importance of this game. Both teams have everything on the line.

Samford loses here, and they are completely done in a season that begin with much promise and a loaded roster. I fully expect they will empty the chamber in this game. Our boys have to be ready for anything. This is their last stand.
Bootie liked this
 #5052  by furman88
 Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:39 pm
Couple thoughts for Furman to be sucessfull,

Forget the Wofford game/victory.
Play with swagger/confidence.
Play with hair and pants on fire for 4 quarters and finish the game all the way down to the water boy.
Use the anaconda theory, every breath/play they take tighten the grip.
If we have the lead keep foot thru the throttle no playing not to lose.
If we don't have the lead no panic play with confidence.
Defense rush with contain in mind and make QB pay when he scrambles.
Disguise and confuse our coverage packages.
Win the LOS / old school, play physical.
Have fun playing a big game!

Tall order against a talented Samford team but I think the Paladins are ready to step up! Purple Reign!
FUBeAR, The Jackal, Flagman and 1 others liked this