• It's a journey

#50086  by RaleighDin
 Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:34 pm
These losses hurt, every single one. Hang onto that, because when that stops being the case, you'll know we're right back where we were 6 years ago. Total apathy.

To be honest, we played so well for two weeks I'm not surprised we've hit a rough patch. It's not a bad thing to see how more athletic teams are going to adjust and defend us to take away what we do well.

The only thing that matters is 3 days in Asheville. The rest is window dressing. We have 3 weeks for the team to figure this thing out - no use packing it all in because we dropped a road game. Yes, the last two have stung - but guess what? In either game the team could have given up and gotten smoked. Instead they fought back. Winning in March is harder than winning in November and December. I have no doubt we'll ramp it up and be ready to go.

I've got a good feeling. Monday night in Asheville. Sharpie.
 #50096  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:09 am
Hope your feeling is right about Asheville, because apathy or not the past 6 years we have not faired any better in the SoCon tourney than we have for the previous 30+ years
apaladin, bj93 liked this
 #50097  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:12 am
Bob Richey's postseason coaching record is 2-6

I mean dang, somethings gotta give right??
tim, apaladin, FU69 liked this
 #50115  by Davemeister
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:06 am
RaleighDin wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:34 pm
The only thing that matters is 3 days in Asheville. The rest is window dressing.

Couldn't have said it better.
 #50119  by Affirm
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:05 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Hope your feeling is right about Asheville, because apathy or not the past 6 years we have not faired any better in the SoCon tourney than we have for the previous 30+ years
It’s 41 and counting. This will be our first championship in 42 years. Big deal.
SoCon Tourney Championship is the highest peak of Furman Basketball. Haven’t been there in 42 years. And when we get there, what do we do. Never win an NCAA Tourney game except once upon a time 48 years ago against occasionally great UofSC.
 #50130  by Furmanoid
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:02 pm
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
It’s 41 and counting. This will be our first championship in 42 years. Big deal.
SoCon Tourney Championship is the highest peak of Furman Basketball. Haven’t been there in 42 years. And when we get there, what do we do. Never win an NCAA Tourney game except once upon a time 48 years ago against occasionally great UofSC.
In the olden days, the tournament was as our enemy since we could get upset there even after a dominant season. Now it should be our friend since we can use it to make up for a so so season. But if the plan is to come in 3rd every year and then hope for luck in the tournament, I vote for a new plan maybe. Like you say, we have small enough chance of winning a game already, and if we can’t even actually win the SoCon season, we have almost no chance.
 #50144  by Affirm
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:02 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
In the olden days, the tournament was as our enemy since we could get upset there even after a dominant season. Now it should be our friend since we can use it to make up for a so so season. But if the plan is to come in 3rd every year and then hope for luck in the tournament, I vote for a new plan maybe. Like you say, we have small enough chance of winning a game already, and if we can’t even actually win the SoCon season, we have almost no chance.
True, it should be our friend. That's what I'm counting on this year! That and the law of averages. Haven't there been multiple times in SoCon Tournament history when the team that won the Tournament was not the best team in the conference? Nor the second, nor third best? I do not know, but I would expect that to be the case. If not this year, then some year, that will work out for Furman. I gave up on us being the best in football and basketball quite a long while ago.
Last edited by Affirm on Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #50145  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:03 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:02 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
True, it should be our friend. That's what I'm counting on this year! That and the law of averages. Haven't there been multiple times in SoCon Tournament history when the team that won the Tournament was not the best team in the conference? I do not know, but I would expect that to be the case.

By and large the one seed wins the SoCon tournament, I think a one seed has won all but one of the past 7 SoCon tournaments

So one seeds are 6-1 on title games the past 7 years, and the one loss the one seed barely lost the title game to the three seed
Affirm liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.