• UNCG @ Furman Feb. 5th (12pm Bon Secours Wellness Arena)

#49926  by Flagman
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:57 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:39 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:15 pm
Could someone explain to me why when Slawson backed them down, he always turned to the center, and would miss a short shot.
Why would he not mix it up, turn to the outside, and then have an easier bank shot ?

I don’t understand.
well, its kinda hard to explain to the lay non-baskteball person. You see, its the theory of double backing, center vision offensive stratedy. It was deployed successfully by the Russians in the 1st win in the Olympics vs the US. The miss is also strategic as it gives the other team the "appearance" of a miss but it usually turns into a basket a few possessions later. In other words... not a clue
Just when I thought there was no humor in this game.
Sad Din, FU69 liked this
 #49931  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:55 pm
Furman was down 55-38 with 6:28 left and went on an 18-0 run when Hien hit his corner 3 with 57 seconds left to go up 56-55.

UNCG did not score a FG the last 6:28 of the game.

The last play was very interesting. Foster (had tried to get the rebound) and Anderson (had headed toward their basket thinking Slawson might want to kick out the rebound to him) were both at mid court when Hunter was just beyond the FT line. Garrison was in the opposite corner (hard for Hunter to pass to him) so once he dribbled in the center he pretty much had to pass to Foster (Anderson was right next to him but a step closer to the basket so it was a more risky pass with a defender there). When Foster cut to the center with 2.2 seconds I really think he should have almost just handed the ball to Slawson who was trailing the play and would have had a wide open 3 from the top of the key. My second choice would have been for Foster just to shoot the 3 when he caught the pass with 2.2 secs (just like the 3 he missed with 10 seconds).

If Foster’s final shot had gone in, they absolutely would have had tocheck the monitor but I believe he released it just before the clock expired.

There were some really bad calls!

The Foster loss of ball after the rebound was sort of a fluke and unfortunate.
Affirm liked this
 #49932  by dornb
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:56 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:05 pm
CBR did postgame. He said that UNCG came out aggressive and we did not respond well. That is their type of game so it was no surprise to us but we did not do well with their aggressiveness.
He also said that they did not have a good practice yesterday. He said the second team looked better in practice yesterday. He was not happy about that.
 #49933  by Affirm
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:04 pm
greenvegas wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:36 pm
We should never play UNCG in the Well again because they are used to playing in a large arena while we are not. This was more of a home game for UNCG than for Furman. They are also more comfortable with the depth perception and thus making more shots inside a larger arena than we are.
I have been thinking the same. But maybe, more than a win over UNCG, we need this additional playing experience in a big arena at this point, to help us as we continue to advance in the Big Dance next month.
 #49935  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:13 pm
dornb wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:56 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:05 pm
CBR did postgame. He said that UNCG came out aggressive and we did not respond well. That is their type of game so it was no surprise to us but we did not do well with their aggressiveness.
He also said that they did not have a good practice yesterday. He said the second team looked better in practice yesterday. He was not happy about that.
I’m telling you it was a carryover from the way the Citadel game ended. Had all the momentum in the world and the Citadel popped our bubble. Doesn’t matter who was playing . All the starters did not get enough minutes and they were way off today.
dornb, Affirm liked this
 #49941  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:32 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:22 pm
Give me a break. Carryover from a previous game that we won easily.????
More to it than that. It’s mental and physical. Every starter played 15 mins less than normal. Got out of sync, rhythm etc, They were hitting on all cylinders and then basically sat the last 15 mins. and watching a 43 point lead that they built dwindle to 19 is not positive. It certainly carried over to today.
I
purplehorse, Affirm liked this
 #49948  by jesse174
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:39 pm
Hunter needs to take more of an active role with this team...since the concussion, he has not been the same player...he has such a good shot but doesnt take it enough...would have liked to see him take that last shot from the foul line...the shot was there for him and he passed the ball away from the basket to Foster, who hasnt been clutch and not the guy you want to take the last shot. We need to be better at the end of games ...
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #49954  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:13 am
Roundball wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:39 am
I blame the loss on the cold floor. The cold penetrated their bodies from feet to fingers. ;)
UNCG maybe plays home games with ice beneath the court floor so they were more easily adapted to the condition.
Maybe we’ll install ice in Timmons.
Are there any NCAA D1 Women’s Hockey teams close enough for us to be able to start a new women’s sport at Furman?
 #49964  by Sad Din
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:53 am
This has been quite a year! Dont remember replaying so many "what if" games. A "what if" game is a game that could have been won if only 1 or 2 plays had gone differently. Suppose thats a posiive thing. Much much better when they are blow outs. Lets have some more of those, shall we?
 #49973  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:32 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:22 pm
Give me a break. Carryover from a previous game that we won easily.????
More to it than that. It’s mental and physical. Every starter played 15 mins less than normal. Got out of sync, rhythm etc, They were hitting on all cylinders and then basically sat the last 15 mins. and watching a 43 point lead that they built dwindle to 19 is not positive. It certainly carried over to today.
I
You are speaking like a fan not a player. We shot lights out 4 games in a row from 3. We were overdue to have a bad shooting nite and we had it Period. Defense is 75% effort and intensity. Not many players knock themselves out when they are up 40 points. We shot 20% from the 3. That is awful and it happens to every team that relies heavily on the 3 ball as we do. I don’t know any good player who hasn’t learned to deal with that when they were in grade school. If we made even 30% of the 3’s we took yesterday we win by double figures. Players are not effected by anything that goes on in garbage time in a previous game. It was good to get a terrible night out of our system.
Roundball liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.