• Home Court Advantage

#49927  by fu77fan
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:59 pm
The question is when we play at The Well, do we give up the home court advantage that we have at Timmons? I personally think that we have more of an advantage at Timmons because it feels like our home court.
cavedweller2, FU69 liked this
 #49928  by Sad Din
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:02 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:59 pm
The question is when we play at The Well, do we give up the home court advantage that we have at Timmons? I personally think that we have more of an advantage at Timmons because it feels like our home court.
Think Dins are something like 7-9 at the Well. The better Teams are scheduled there. Maybe they should schedule the cupcakes at the Well. Dins vs Greenville Tech would be a great game at the Well. U could probably fill the place. Mostly with Tech grads
FU69 liked this
 #49929  by Sad Din
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:12 pm
Maybe instead of busing students to the games, Dins could offer busing Gville folks to Timmons. Make it door to door service.

Another All-Inclusive deal... Bus, Burger, Band, Beer and Back
FUBeAR, FU69 liked this
 #49937  by Flagman
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:14 pm
I'm not a fan of the games downtown. The crowd was loud today but is still a long way from the court. I think about how that would have sounded in Timmons. There are other issues, as well (no pun intended).
FU69 liked this
 #49942  by Affirm
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:43 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:14 pm
I'm not a fan of the games downtown. The crowd was loud today but is still a long way from the court. I think about how that would have sounded in Timmons. There are other issues, as well (no pun intended).
I wish you would explain what pun could have be perceived.
Despite some potential advantages, I agree about not being a fan of games at The Well. Maybe limit those to only 1 game in a season, except when it’s to be able to bring in any REALLY big-name team expected to attract a sellout crowd and publicity and excitement - ideally ones like UofSC or CU or Duke or UNC-CH or Ohio State or Kansas or Baylor or Notre Dame or LSU or Oklahoma or Michigan or IU or Purdue or UCLA for example.
FU69 liked this
 #49943  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:01 pm
I know for exposure and the future CBR a is a big fan of games at the Well.

We definitely lose our home court advantage. I would love to know what the players think.

When the crowd is good at Timmons (like this coming week), we have a home court advantage there IMHO that we don’t have at the Well.
FU69 liked this
 #49944  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:10 pm
I think y’all are missing the intent of games at the Well. It is to have a presence n Greenville/downtown and have people see FU play that ordinarily won’t Judging by todays attendance I think it is working. Of course all of this wil be mute when the Timmons renovations are complete in 2045 but of course a lot of us want be here. :D
underjack liked this
 #49952  by Roundball
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:37 am
If we are going to have a few games at The Well, I wish the students were positioned all together behind our bench. As it is, they are spread out on each side of the court, sitting on metal benches. Put them someone in that arena in which they will feel special and can make a lot of noise. Dang it was cold in there. By the way, I pray the lady that had the medical condition toward the end of the game is okay. The paramedics worked on her a long time. Her situation with her family watching reminded me what was important.
underjack, purplehorse, FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #49955  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:18 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:10 pm
I think y’all are missing the intent of games at the Well. It is to have a presence n Greenville/downtown and have people see FU play that ordinarily won’t Judging by todays attendance I think it is working. Of course all of this wil be mute when the Timmons renovations are complete in 2045 but of course a lot of us want be here. :D
“moot” not “mute”, although maybe we critic will be mute
“won’t” not “want”, although I do want to (and want to see CBR in his 28th year at FU
underjack liked this
 #49976  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:14 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:31 am
Don't think The Well caused us to lose yesterday. Just like Timmons didn't help us vs. Navy.
I still believe we have a greater home court advantage at Timmons than at The Well. I believe we have very little, if any, home court advantage at The Well. Unless it is to allow us to attract a major nationally-recognized and/or highly-locally-publicized team to play us in Greenville, our playing at The Well seems to be maybe not worth the expense, other than once per year, for the “experience/practice” and to have “a little annual tradition” for our program.
FU69 liked this
 #49977  by jesse174
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:24 pm
we are a 3 point shooting team and with that comes inconsistency if we don't hit our shots...just comes with the territory...hard to win without a strong inside presence
apaladin, underjack, bj93 liked this
 #49979  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:42 pm
affirm wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
Don't think The Well caused us to lose yesterday. Just like Timmons didn't help us vs. Navy.
I still believe we have a greater home court advantage at Timmons than at The Well. I believe we have very little, if any, home court advantage at The Well. Unless it is to allow us to attract a major nationally-recognized and/or highly-locally-publicized team to play us in Greenville, our playing at The Well seems to be maybe not worth the expense, other than once per year, for the “experience/practice” and to have “a little annual tradition” for our program.
It’s just not about homecourt advantage. It’s about connecting with downtown. We have played well there and not so well just like Timmons. The 2 worst games this year were Navy at Timmons and UNCG at the Well. Remember a couple of years agp beating Wofford there in front of 6,000? That was awesome.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #49980  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
It’s just not about homecourt advantage. It’s about connecting with downtown. We have played well their and not so well just like Timmons. The 2 worst games this year were Navy at Timmons and UNCG at the Well. Remember a couple of years agp beating Wofford there in front of 6,000? That was awesome.
I am in favor of Furman being a Greenville asset. It is.
I am in favor having Furman regain more of a Greenville identity.
Greenville’s growth has seemingly reduced Furman’s profile in Greenville. More and more newcomers affiliate with their alma maters, for example Ohio State, Wisconsin, or whatever, or else with Clemson or Uof SC or their other favored ACC or SEC team, than with Furman. Furman gets “lost in the shuffle”. If these The Well games could help overcome that to any significant extent, it would be worth it. I am not aware that “help” has resulted yet. Helping much more would be, instead of or in addition to The Well games, we would be a consistent top 75 or above team; AND we would more frequently play, and beat, home or away, some more well-known teams regularly.
FU69 liked this
 #49986  by Affirm
 Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:14 am
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
It’s just not about homecourt advantage. It’s about connecting with downtown. We have played well there and not so well just like Timmons. The 2 worst games this year were Navy at Timmons and UNCG at the Well. Remember a couple of years agp beating Wofford there in front of 6,000? That was awesome.
So how do YOU define “connecting with downtown” and how/when do YOU know the ROI of attempting to do that is actually worthwhile, if ever? How do you know it is worth the expense (to the university, to fans)?
Also, to what extent is playing at The Well preferred by the Furman teams and coaches (men’s and women’s) and by student body generally? By supporters and alumni? By businesses, government, downtown development, etc., in Greenville (is it the benefit to those real, imaginary, nonexistent)?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.