• UNCG @ Furman Feb. 5th (12pm Bon Secours Wellness Arena)

#49912  by FurmAlum
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:38 pm
Credit UNCG. I can't believe that team was 4-6 coming in. They played a very physical style that I think the refs let them get away with too much especially around the basket. I would expect that if they were at home but not on the road!!!

I thought CBR came as close to getting a technical as he ever has and I thought they had called one on him and then they came back from a commercial and it was just UNCG with possession.

We just missed too many open shots. How can we shoot that bad.
Sad Din, QCGlue liked this
 #49913  by Sad Din
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:44 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:38 pm
Credit UNCG. I can't believe that team was 4-6 coming in. They played a very physical style that I think the refs let them get away with too much especially around the basket. I would expect that if they were at home but not on the road!!!

I thought CBR came as close to getting a technical as he ever has and I thought they had called one on him and then they came back from a commercial and it was just UNCG with possession.

We just missed too many open shots. How can we shoot that bad.
came back from 17 down... had the rebound with 30s left. That would have been huge confidence builder. Instead ... ehhh
 #49914  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:51 pm
UNCG had gone 6 minutes without scoring and we fouled a non shooter with a 1 point lead and and 30 seconds left. Just can’t let them take the ball from you in that situation. So far only fell 5 spots in kenpom but lots of games still to be played today. I know everyone is disappointed but we should be used to it. When everything is going great whether it be football or basketball FU always seems to lay the proverbial egg. Just never can get over the humo which in Furman’s case is always a mountain.
 #49915  by Davemeister
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:16 pm
Marksmanship, folks. We have been shooting the lights out and today the numbers corrected themselves. There is a lot of b-ball left to play and we are not going to win them all. Just hope we can put it together in Sky City next month.
FurmAlum liked this
 #49916  by Jasper
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:42 pm
We couldn’t shoot 3’s very well today and that says it all. We were way overdue for a poor shooting game and I think it is better to have one now than in Asheville. We have geared our offense around the 3 pointer and this kind of game is bound to happen. It is the best thing to do for a team our size. Defensively, we played well. UNCG is also a very good defensive team. Statistically the best in the league. Give them some credit.
FurmAlum, QCGlue liked this
 #49917  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:47 pm
jesse174 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:10 pm
giving away home advantage downtown...need to play our home games at Timmons
Not really, 3,600 is louder than 1,600. It was LOUD at the end. Final stas 30.4% and 21.4% from 3. By far tge worst of the year. Still had a chance to win. Did CBR do a postgame? I didnt hear it if he did.
Davemeister liked this
 #49918  by purplehorse
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:22 pm
No easy inside baskets for us today at all. Lots of inside shots just did not fall. We need more inside presence overall.

Meanwhile UNG got some pretty easy shots around the basket including some pit-backs after missed shots.

We never seemed comfortable on offense.

We did not execute on the last two plays (similar to the last play against UTC).

We almost pulled victory from the jaws of defeat.
 #49921  by fu77fan
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:11 pm
We played awful until about the last 8 minutes or so. We made a great comeback , and put ourselves in the position to win.
But we missed several shots in the last two minutes, as well as the critical turnover with 30 seconds left which cost us the game.

A heartbreaker for sure!
 #49923  by greenvegas
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:36 pm
We should never play UNCG in the Well again because they are used to playing in a large arena while we are not. This was more of a home game for UNCG than for Furman. They are also more comfortable with the depth perception and thus making more shots inside a larger arena than we are.
fu77fan, FU69 liked this
 #49924  by Sad Din
 Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:39 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:15 pm
Could someone explain to me why when Slawson backed them down, he always turned to the center, and would miss a short shot.
Why would he not mix it up, turn to the outside, and then have an easier bank shot ?

I don’t understand.
well, its kinda hard to explain to the lay non-baskteball person. You see, its the theory of double backing, center vision offensive stratedy. It was deployed successfully by the Russians in the 1st win in the Olympics vs the US. The miss is also strategic as it gives the other team the "appearance" of a miss but it usually turns into a basket a few possessions later. In other words... not a clue
Flagman liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.