• SoCon through 7 weeks

#4951  by Paul C
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:15 pm
This might be the weakest the SoCon has been in a long time.

Wofford is the class of the league so far but as we saw this weekend they're vulnerable. Not a top 10 team.

Right now I might say UTC the second best team in the league but they got manhandled by Wofford.

Samford is hard to figure. Took FSU to the wire and they collapsed against a very good Kennesaw St team, Mercer and Chattanooga. And now looks like they got their mojo back against the two worst defenses in the league.

Mercer loses an ugly game to Citadel after beating Samford and then loses to Yale. Yale.

Furman looks terrible in September and then after holding on against WCU, destroys the best team in the league in Wofford.

ETSU is winning ugly. First Furman collapses in historic fashion and then they beat Citadel and Chattanooga in games where they feasted on turnovers but didn't get close to 300 yards of O in either. I'm predicting ETSU, who is 4-0 in the SoCon right now, finishes at 5-3 in the league, or even 4-4.

Citadel loses close games to Wofford and Chattanooga to start the year, get their mojo back in a win over Mercer and then go OOC and get destroyed by Towson St.

Western Carolina has Tyrie Adams and no defense.

And speaking of no defense, there's VMI.

Here is my power ratings of the SoCon....

1. Wofford
T2. UTC, Mercer, Furman, Samford, ETSU
7. Citadel
8. WCU
9. VMI
 #4964  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 pm
VMI is surrendering 54 points a game. That’s around 8 touchdowns a contest, or roughly allowing a touchdown every other possession.
 #4981  by Jasper
 Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:15 pm
This might be the weakest the SoCon has been in a long time.

Wofford is the class of the league so far but as we saw this weekend they're vulnerable. Not a top 10 team.

Right now I might say UTC the second best team in the league but they got manhandled by Wofford.

Samford is hard to figure. Took FSU to the wire and they collapsed against a very good Kennesaw St team, Mercer and Chattanooga. And now looks like they got their mojo back against the two worst defenses in the league.

Mercer loses an ugly game to Citadel after beating Samford and then loses to Yale. Yale.

Furman looks terrible in September and then after holding on against WCU, destroys the best team in the league in Wofford.

ETSU is winning ugly. First Furman collapses in historic fashion and then they beat Citadel and Chattanooga in games where they feasted on turnovers but didn't get close to 300 yards of O in either. I'm predicting ETSU, who is 4-0 in the SoCon right now, finishes at 5-3 in the league, or even 4-4.

Citadel loses close games to Wofford and Chattanooga to start the year, get their mojo back in a win over Mercer and then go OOC and get destroyed by Towson St.

Western Carolina has Tyrie Adams and no defense.

And speaking of no defense, there's VMI.

Here is my power ratings of the SoCon....

1. Wofford
T2. UTC, Mercer, Furman, Samford, ETSU
7. Citadel
8. WCU
9. VMI
I don't disagree with those ratings. I want to see how Wofford comes back from a pretty good whipping last Saturday. Aside from their FBS game at Wyoming, they really had not been tested a great deal. I think they were shocked after we stopped their first few 3rd and short run attempts. Newcome had been averaging nearly 8 yards per carry I believe. If they handle ETSU handily, which I think they will, then they might deserve to remain the class of the league. But if the Paladins put a whuppin on Samford, then I have to think there's a new sheriff in town. This year may be shaping up like last year.
 #4983  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm
But if the Paladins put a whuppin on Samford, then I have to think there's a new sheriff in town. This year may be shaping up like last year.
[/quote]

You probably shouldn't have said this. I hope you at least knocked on wood, LOL.
 #4990  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:45 am
apaladin wrote:
But if the Paladins put a whuppin on Samford, then I have to think there's a new sheriff in town. This year may be shaping up like last year.
You probably shouldn't have said this. I hope you at least knocked on wood, LOL.
[/quote]

Right. Please everyone wear the same underwear as last week
 #4994  by Jasper
 Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:44 am
apaladin wrote:
[/quote]

That's just a silly comment.