• SoCon

#49478  by The Jackal
 Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:34 am
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, but the SoCon's presidents voted unanimously to increase the "exit fee" for member institutions to $2m.

https://soconsports.com/news/2022/1/27/ ... ision.aspx

This comes in response to another round of conference realignment. There are two southern conferences - the Big South and Atlantic Sun - right now desperate to add members. It's also not inconceivable the CAA, which has always been a bigger-than-neccesary conference may look for opportunities to push south.

I also do not believe that this would preclude the SoCon from looking to expand if necessary. The conference has historically been reluctant to do so, but I don't know if that is archaic thinking in this era of college athletics.
 #49479  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:56 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:34 am
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, but the SoCon's presidents voted unanimously to increase the "exit fee" for member institutions to $2m.

https://soconsports.com/news/2022/1/27/ ... ision.aspx

This comes in response to another round of conference realignment. There are two southern conferences - the Big South and Atlantic Sun - right now desperate to add members. It's also not inconceivable the CAA, which has always been a bigger-than-neccesary conference may look for opportunities to push south.

I also do not believe that this would preclude the SoCon from looking to expand if necessary. The conference has historically been reluctant to do so, but I don't know if that is archaic thinking in this era of college athletics.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2965
 #49482  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:24 am
If the SoCon stays put with its current member makeup that's fine by me.
Sorry I am coming in a bit late on this, but what schools would be possible additions:
Kennesaw State
North Carolina A&T
Campbell
Winthrop (hoops)
High Point (hoops)

Any other schools that would be seriously considered?
 #49484  by apaladin
 Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:27 pm
There is no need for the SoCon to expand just because others are. The SoCon has the perfect amount of football teams and basketball teams. 8 conference football games and 18 conference basketball games. Perfect. Leave it alone. If the conference presidents unanimously voted to raise the exit fee to $2 million, maybe that means no one is looking to leave. Hope so.
dornb, FU69, underjack and 1 others liked this
 #49492  by Flagman
 Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
There is no need for the SoCon to expand just because others are. The SoCon has the perfect amount of football teams and basketball teams. 8 conference football games and 18 conference basketball games. Perfect. Leave it alone. If the conference presidents unanimously voted to raise the exit fee to $2 million, maybe that means no one is looking to leave. Hope so.
It would appear so.
 #49500  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
FUBeAR would go a bit farther…

It means the Presidents of 10 Colleges/Universities just loudly placed a very public wager of $1,000,000 that they would rather be in the Southern Conference than be in ANY other Conference.

An analogy might be if a Coach had every Player on his/her roster ask to sign a binding ‘will not transfer’ contract with a $100k penalty if they break the contract.
apaladin liked this
 #49501  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:57 pm
The only reason to leave is to move up or maybe move down in hard times.
 #49504  by Paul C
 Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:59 pm
apaladin wrote:
I would waive the $2m fee if VMI wanted to leave. Just sayin.
apaladin, Flagman liked this
 #49511  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:17 am
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:

In this environment, it would probably be harder to replace VMI than just keeping them in the conference.
 #49512  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:25 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
FUBeAR would go a bit farther…

It means the Presidents of 10 Colleges/Universities just loudly placed a very public wager of $1,000,000 that they would rather be in the Southern Conference than be in ANY other Conference.

An analogy might be if a Coach had every Player on his/her roster ask to sign a binding ‘will not transfer’ contract with a $100k penalty if they break the contract.

I think this makes sense. It would also signal to other potential future member schools of the stability of the group.
 #49515  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:42 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:17 am
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:

In this environment, it would probably be harder to replace VMI than just keeping them in the conference.
FUBeAR loves having VMI in the SoCon. Not only were they ‘here’ before any other of the current Members, having originally joined in 1924, but having them in the SoCon increases the available material we can use to besmirch the bellhops.
Paladin82, MNORM liked this
 #49640  by Mr. Taggart
 Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:44 am
I am biased, but, having lived there for 3 years, I am fond of trips to Lexington in the fall. I would be fonder if we didn't lose on the trips.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.