#49396  by HKB60
 Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:49 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:55 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:20 am
Findlay 8-3 (31 ppg)
Valdosta St. 19-6 (32-36 ppg) 2 playoff trips
Slippery Rock 26-10 (35-40-37 ppg) quarters in ‘18.
Northern Iowa 10-5 (21 ppg) FCS quarters
Holy Cross 13-4 (22-32 ppg) 2 playoff trips

Some of these teams ran a little more than they passed. Some did it other way round. But all did pretty good. He’s worked in 5 good programs, and hopefully he’s learned a lot.

That resume would be hard for us to top.

I’m sure if we try hard enough we can find him a Furman connection somewhere.
His Dad played at GT, also was Coach & Recruiting Director there. Dad is originally from Gainesville, GA…which is a couple of Par 5’s away from Commerce, GA. Coach Roper Sr. woulda been heading up GT’s ‘cruitin’ when Coach Hendrix and his Commerce High Teammate, Coach Lamb were All-State Players in Commerce, GA. I would bet the relationships go back that far. I’d also bet Coach Roper the Younger prolly attended QB Camp at good ol’ FU when he was coming up the ranks in the GHSA. Most good QB’s in N GA did at that time.

Also… when Justin Roper was playing at Buford, I believe there was some NC State connection to Coach Hendrix Coaching at Buford…

There may be more ties, but FUBeAR didn’t want take more than 3 minutes away from watching another dominating Falcons performance to do additional research.
Back when Justin was a young QB, I along with Bruce Gheesling coached Justin in the Alpharetta Youth Football League. His dad was the HC! There is no doubt that our influence would lead him to the land of the Paladins! I am expecting this new offense to run 48 & 49 Sweep twenty times a game!!!
 #49402  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:24 pm
In his interview he didn’t sound like he’s in love with ol’ 48 and 49. Hopefully CCH will help him get his mind right.

The rest of his interview was pretty damn impressive.
 #49403  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:31 pm
You dont love the 48 and 49 sweep. You own it.
Paladin82 liked this
 #49412  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:42 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:31 pm
You dont love the 48 and 49 sweep. You own it.
Nope…You ARE it. 48/49 Sweep is your essence.
 #49414  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:31 am
Well I’m not sure it’s Roper’s essence. But he did play under center in HS, and that’s a big deal. Young guys like Jace may not have any idea how to even do a reverse pivot pitch or handoff. That stuff is more complicated than it looks, dance steps have to be right. So if you have a coach who has experience in cutting edge 21st century stuff but also knows how to teach the medieval I formation stuff, that gives you all kinds of options.
 #49418  by Paul C
 Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:40 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:49 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:55 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:20 am
Findlay 8-3 (31 ppg)
Valdosta St. 19-6 (32-36 ppg) 2 playoff trips
Slippery Rock 26-10 (35-40-37 ppg) quarters in ‘18.
Northern Iowa 10-5 (21 ppg) FCS quarters
Holy Cross 13-4 (22-32 ppg) 2 playoff trips

Some of these teams ran a little more than they passed. Some did it other way round. But all did pretty good. He’s worked in 5 good programs, and hopefully he’s learned a lot.

That resume would be hard for us to top.

I’m sure if we try hard enough we can find him a Furman connection somewhere.
His Dad played at GT, also was Coach & Recruiting Director there. Dad is originally from Gainesville, GA…which is a couple of Par 5’s away from Commerce, GA. Coach Roper Sr. woulda been heading up GT’s ‘cruitin’ when Coach Hendrix and his Commerce High Teammate, Coach Lamb were All-State Players in Commerce, GA. I would bet the relationships go back that far. I’d also bet Coach Roper the Younger prolly attended QB Camp at good ol’ FU when he was coming up the ranks in the GHSA. Most good QB’s in N GA did at that time.

Also… when Justin Roper was playing at Buford, I believe there was some NC State connection to Coach Hendrix Coaching at Buford…

There may be more ties, but FUBeAR didn’t want take more than 3 minutes away from watching another dominating Falcons performance to do additional research.
Back when Justin was a young QB, I along with Bruce Gheesling coached Justin in the Alpharetta Youth Football League. His dad was the HC! There is no doubt that our influence would lead him to the land of the Paladins! I am expecting this new offense to run 48 & 49 Sweep twenty times a game!!!
And run it so well you can even tell the DL across from you it's coming and they still cant stop it.
FUBeAR liked this
 #49455  by Davemeister
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:19 am
Right. Tired of seeing us come up short on 4th and 1.
 #49457  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:52 am
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:19 am
Right. Tired of seeing us come up short on 4th and 1.
Yep - that should never happen if we ran Toss Sweep CORRECTLY…because, if blocked correctly, the Defense CAIN’T BE RIGHT. The only way to keep Toss Sweep (when run correctly) from gaining (at least) 1 yard is for the D to COMPLETELY DESTROY the P/S Off. EMOL & get deep penetration there…and if that happens when Toss Sweep is called his way…then we need new TE’s and/or OT’s.
 #49719  by Davemeister
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:06 am
Tommy Spangler. The name is familiar! Looks like a good hire.
 #49730  by Flagman
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:55 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:06 am
Tommy Spangler. The name is familiar! Looks like a good hire.
PC head coach for 10 years, before non-scholie days.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.