• My apologies, Mister Roberts

#4921  by Affirm
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 am
We are getting ahead of ourselves. I expect that Samford will bring us quickly back to reality. I’m hoping we can get to 5 wins this entire season.
bj93, Jasper liked this
 #4924  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:40 am
stonemd wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:57 am
http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/soc ... otball.pdf

Here is the rule

Not sure which but I hope it is the least points allowed to the teams in the tie.
Jackal is right - this rule is written ambiguously.

“If the tie is still not broken, the team with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams shall be considered.”

It should say...”If the tie is still not broken, the team with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams, IN THE GAMES PLAYED AGAINST EACH OTHER, shall be considered.”

Perhaps the word “among” connotates that meaning, but it doesn’t specifically say it. Interesting.
 #4925  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:46 am
stonemd wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:26 am
If we win out and wofford beats etsu we have a 3 way tie for first. Since all 3 teams are 1-1 against each other it would go to points allowed to each other. We lost to etsu 27-29 and beat wofford 34-14 giving up 43 points. So I would like wofford to beat etsu and score 17 or more and give up 10 or more - which is farly likely.
The full picture is more complicated than this limited scenario. Here’s what I have ciphered out as each SoCon Team’s CURRENT path to the SoCon Championship AND the autobid...

Definition of “control their own destinies” - these Teams... ‘only’ ... have to win all of their remaining SoCon games and they will be the SoCon Champs AND get the Playoff Autobid...

CONTROL THEIR OWN DESTINIES
* ETSU - 4-0 - If they beat WC, WCU, MU, & SU = 8-0 - Solo Champs + Autobid
* MU - 2-1 - If they beat WCU, WC, ETSU, UTC, & FU = 7-1 - At worst, tie for Champ w/ETSU + Autobid. Outright Champ if ETSU loses 1+ ‘other’ game

STRAIGHTFORWARD PATH, BUT ALSO NEED 1 OTHER TEAM TO LOSE
* FU - 2-1 - If they beat SU, CIT, UTC, VMI, & MU = 7-1 - At worst, tie for Champ w/ETSU, but no Autobid unless ETSU loses 2+
* WC - 3-1 - If they beat ETSU, MU, SU, & WCU = 7-1 - At worst, tie for Champ, but needs FU to lose 1+ to secure Autobid

COMPLICATED PATH INVOLVING 2 OR 3 OTHER TEAMS
* UTC - 3-2 - If they beat VMI, FU, & MU = 6-2 - Would need ETSU to lose 3+ AND WC to lose 2+ to get Autobid
* SU - 2-2 - If they beat FU, WC, CIT, ETSU = 6-2 - Would need ETSU to lose 1 ‘other’ game AND need MU to lose 2+, and need UTC to lose 1+ to get Autobid

EXTREMELY COMPLICATED PATH INVOLVING MULTIPLE TEAMS; PATH MAY NOT EVEN BE POSSIBLE
* WCU - 1-3 - If they beat MU, ETSU, CIT, & WC = 5-3 - Would need ETSU to lose 2+ ‘other’ games AND MU & WC to lose 1+ ‘other’ game, AND FU to lose 3+ AND need UTC & SU to lose 2+
* CIT - 1-3 - If they beat VMI, FU, WCU, & SU = 5-3 - Would need ETSU to lose (all) 4 AND need MU AND UTC to lose 2+ AND would need FU to lose 1 ‘other’ game AND would need WC to lose 3+

NO PATH
* VMI - 0-5 - Cannot win SoCon nor get Autobid
 #4927  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:19 am
affirm wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 am
We are getting ahead of ourselves. I expect that Samford will bring us quickly back to reality. I’m hoping we can get to 5 wins this entire season.
I too would be happy with 5 wins. That would be 5-4 in FCS w a top ten win over Woff and 5 wins in conf. Beat Samford and I change my view... but I will reserve hope for running the table until I see us v sammy.
 #4929  by fufanatic
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:39 am
I believe we were all faked out by HR's injury and the apparent severity of it. Props to Furman for not letting that leak out, because it sure sounded like it was no big deal, thus the thinking he was a token starter for a series only because of the national coverage. He was obviously pretty injured and wouldn't have played at all against Clemson if not for the national coverage. But I'm OK with how it played out. They ran three safe plays to keep him from getting injured more and got him out of there. If the pitch to media had been "hey we have this QB that goes to Clemson and plays at Furman, but he won't play at all Saturday," there's no coverage. That I'm fairly confident in saying.

It's a super bummer the injury happened, because I feel comfortable in saying that with him under center the Elon game wouldn't have gotten out of control so quickly, and that he would have been more game ready against ETSU and maybe that one plays out differently.

Oh well, that's all in the past. Right now he looks sharp and that gives me hope that we can keep this run going the rest of the regular season.
FUBeAR, Jasper, dornb liked this
 #4943  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:58 pm
fufanatic wrote:
I believe we were all faked out by HR's injury and the apparent severity of it. Props to Furman for not letting that leak out, because it sure sounded like it was no big deal, thus the thinking he was a token starter for a series only because of the national coverage. He was obviously pretty injured and wouldn't have played at all against Clemson if not for the national coverage. But I'm OK with how it played out. They ran three safe plays to keep him from getting injured more and got him out of there. If the pitch to media had been "hey we have this QB that goes to Clemson and plays at Furman, but he won't play at all Saturday," there's no coverage. That I'm fairly confident in saying.

It's a super bummer the injury happened, because I feel comfortable in saying that with him under center the Elon game wouldn't have gotten out of control so quickly, and that he would have been more game ready against ETSU and maybe that one plays out differently.

Oh well, that's all in the past. Right now he looks sharp and that gives me hope that we can keep this run going the rest of the regular season.
I also don't hate the fact that we may still be able to redshirt Grainger.
 #4949  by fufanatic
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:40 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:58 pm
fufanatic wrote:

I also don't hate the fact that we may still be able to redshirt Grainger.
At this point barring a string of injuries at the position, I don't know why you wouldn't. Go with JL as the backup and you could still play DG for 1 game and Sisson for 4. Also have two other guys on the roster that could take snaps assuming said injuries have occurred and you're playing out the string.
din23 liked this