• My apologies, Mister Roberts

#4830  by Jasper
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 pm
A few weeks ago, I said that Harris Roberts was a very adequate QB. For today, at least, MR. Roberts is a sensational quarterback. 17 for 19 for 3 passing TD's plus two rushing TD plus one of the best fakes I have seen on the 3rd qtr. pass to Ryan DeLuca. - excellent game management, etc, etc. The kid played a great game.

Couple of other things:

We have a very fine corps of running backs @ receivers
The O line did a great job of protection and run blocking
This defense can sure as hell stop the run
Furman is better than Wofford - a lot better. And today they were a lot more physical too. Mission accomplished.
FU should be 3 - 0 in league play but we are now in a very good position to win the SoCon title.
As MR. Roberts gains experience, the coaching staff is opening more pages in the play book. We are starting to look very multi-dimensional offensively.

The Dins are back ...but good.
dornb, AstroDin, PaladinDad liked this
 #4832  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:22 pm
I agree. And many here wrote Roberts off after we pulled him vs Clemson after one series saying he was a 'token' starter just for news and PR.

I myself didn't think he was this good.. I thought he might be the starter but not quite this good. Kudos to him.

My only 'debate' with your points above would be the OL - they are improving a lot !!! Just that damn one yard at C/OG it takes us 2 or 3 tries to get. I was probably spoiled w Schmidt and Bush last year but it really shouldn't take 3 tries to get one yard. I know our OL is young and that is part of the issue. *I do hope Kroeber is OK. He left the game late.. We need our starting C/OGs ...
 #4871  by Davemeister
 Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:34 am
Jasper wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 pm
A few weeks ago, I said that Harris Roberts was a very adequate QB. For today, at least, MR. Roberts is a sensational quarterback. 17 for 19 for 3 passing TD's plus two rushing TD plus one of the best fakes I have seen on the 3rd qtr. pass to Ryan DeLuca. - excellent game management, etc, etc. The kid played a great game.
Yes. HR is a much better QB than I thought him to be. He won the game for us yesterday.
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #4872  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:54 am
add to Davemeister's comments. I love QB's that show "eye candy" with the ball. Ingle Martin was so effective with his pump fakes, Ingle would fake pump running toward the sideline and it always froze the defense.

Roberts had another beautiful fake, I believe on the long scoring drive in the 4th on third down - Robert did a fake pitch to the tailback, who in return faked catching it, then fired a bullet over the middle to a streaking Ryan Miller for a big first down.

I hope this is something Quarles is teaching… cause I love it.
Jasper, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #4884  by Flagman
 Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:13 pm
Beautiful game, Mister Roberts. I gotta watch that movie again.
Jasper, QCGlue liked this
 #4887  by mathprofhiker
 Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:40 pm
I never thought of him as a token starter (mainly because I never thought CCH would pull a silly PR stunt like that), but like most people I greatly underestimated Mr. Roberts' ability at QB. We would not be on a 2 game winning streak without his ability to read the defense and fake them out. Well done, sir.
Jasper, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #4889  by Jasper
 Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:55 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
I never thought of him as a token starter (mainly because I never thought CCH would pull a silly PR stunt like that), but like most people I greatly underestimated Mr. Roberts' ability at QB. We would not be on a 2 game winning streak without his ability to read the defense and fake them out. Well done, sir.
I don't think any of us saw this type of performance coming. It was great to watch - unforgettable as a matter of fact give the history and the importance of the game. But I will tell you who did know that Mr. Roberts was the clear # 1 QB on this Furman team - the players. I find they are rarely wrong.
PaladinDad, furman88, QCGlue liked this
 #4893  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:20 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
I meant no offense w term ‘token starter’. I meant it as 50/50 w him and Grainger. Didn’t mean he was a PR stunt. He was hurt. He has been great lately. Keep it up
Harris
mathprofhiker, Jasper liked this
 #4913  by saltyshaker
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:45 am
when I spoke with my charlotte friends about the upcoming year,i told them that if we got decent qb play,i thought we'd have a pretty good year.and from the limited times I saw him last year,i thought that he could play.and now I am convinced.with the etsu loss and the cancellation of the colgate game,we have put ourselves in position to probably have to sweep the last five games to get to 7 wins and make the playoffs.and probably need help from Wofford to beat etsu to have a chance at the sc title
I think we have a reasonable chance to do our part.and then hope Wofford and someone else beats etsu.
QCGlue liked this
 #4914  by stonemd
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:26 am
If we win out and wofford beats etsu we have a 3 way tie for first. Since all 3 teams are 1-1 against each other it would go to points allowed to each other. We lost to etsu 27-29 and beat wofford 34-14 giving up 43 points. So I would like wofford to beat etsu and score 17 or more and give up 10 or more - which is farly likely.
 #4915  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:20 am
stonemd wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:26 am
If we win out and wofford beats etsu we have a 3 way tie for first. Since all 3 teams are 1-1 against each other it would go to points allowed to each other. We lost to etsu 27-29 and beat wofford 34-14 giving up 43 points. So I would like wofford to beat etsu and score 17 or more and give up 10 or more - which is farly likely.
This may be the attorney in me, but the rule isn't clear.

Assume Wofford beats ETSU and then everyone wins out. ETSU/Wofford/Furman would all be 7-1 and would have an even 1-1 record against the other.

Next tie breaker is the record against the "next highest" seeded team not involved in the tie breaker. So, this doesn't help the issue either because under this scenario, those three teams beat everyone else (note: this was not the case in 2013 when the teams had the same 1-1 record against each other, but had also lost to different teams).

After that "the team with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams shall be considered."

I read that two ways. Among the tied teams, the team with the fewest points allowed all season wins the bid. I also read that to say that they consider the fewest points allowed in the games among the tied teams.

I think both readings are fair, but the latter seems to be the intent. It wouldn't seem appropriate to consider all of the points scored in Furman's schedule against a much harder slate of teams than Wofford played. It would be fair to count the points scored in the Wofford/ETSU/Furman round robin.
Jasper liked this