• Quarles

#48742  by tim
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:16 am
The big turn around began that year, winning 5 of the last 6, I think. Also won the all time favorite football game of my life 45-44 in Charleston.
FUBeAR, DeepPurple liked this
 #48749  by Affirm
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:20 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:20 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:41 pm
When you lay it all out like that, it’s actually worse than I thought. But at least we appear sorta stable.

Good thing this forum wasn't around in the mid-90s.

Not sure we could have all survived hearing the weeping and gnashing of teeth as Bobby Johnson went 28-26 in his first 54 games. Oh, and he lost 5 of the last 6 games in 1998, including losing all of Furman's big games that season.

Bobby Johnson was 30-27 his first five seasons.

His teams would go on to win 30 of the next 39 games they played.
CCH first 5 years = 0.573 wins (31-23).
Bobby first 5 years = 0.526 wins (30-27).
Bobby next 39 games 0.769 wins (30-9).
****I look forward to seeing, as soon as possible, our next 0.769 cumulative wins record over ANY 3 or 4 consecutive seasons!****
Last edited by Affirm on Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #48752  by HB88
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:39 pm
While I hope CCH's success follows a similar pattern, I think it important to note that CCH's record in his first five years has come against a significantly weaker conference. When Johnson started his tenure, Marshall (left his second season, I think), APSU and GSU were all still heavyweights in the SC.
bj93 liked this
 #48754  by The Jackal
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:43 pm
HB88 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:39 pm
While I hope CCH's success follows a similar pattern, I think it important to note that CCH's record in his first five years has come against a significantly weaker conference. When Johnson started his tenure, Marshall (left his second season, I think), APSU and GSU were all still heavyweights in the SC.

I think this is just another form of bias, in my opinion.

One's perception of how good or bad Furman was in the past is just our own personal observations filtered through the lens of history.

Sure, App State and GSU were still around. They were generally pretty good. They were not the only teams Furman played, though.

Samford, who was a doormat for decades. Wofford was just transitioning from the DII ranks in the mid 90s. Furman played Elon a few times, which I think was still DII. VMI was terrible. UTC and WCU were generally bad. The list goes on.

I say that as someone who went to Furman during the years of the "big three." Furman generally only had to show up for two games a year - App and GSU. There were not too many teams on the schedule that were a genuine threat to beat us.

So, sure, there were some good teams in those days. There were also some really bad teams.
Affirm liked this
 #48757  by Afurmanfan
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:49 pm
And realize the difference in Furman’s recruiting situation back then versus now. We were the default program for fairly good students who didn’t get offered by Clemson, USC, Wake, Duke, Ga Tech etc.
There was no Mercer, UNCC, Coastal, Charleston Southern, etc.- the talent base is much more diluted now than what Furman had in the 80’s and 90’s.
And our academic requirements are tougher now also.
Look at who we beat for most of our recruits- the military academies and the Ivy League. We are having to go to Texas, Ohio, TN etc. It used to be approx. 70% GA with SC and NC filling the balance of recruits.
It is a much different recruiting landscape now.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.