• Quarles

#48621  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:50 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:24 pm
I could be way off… but this makes me think that the OC is going to come from outside the current staff.
Need a new OL coach and OC? Certainly Patrick Covington’s bags are packed and he’s already on the way!
 #48622  by bj93
 Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:10 pm
Looking at Covington's 2 years at Lamar isn't exactly eye popping.
 #48623  by The Jackal
 Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:19 pm
bj93 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:10 pm
Looking at Covington's 2 years at Lamar isn't exactly eye popping.
If you are just looking at numbers when evaluating a coach, you're doing it wrong, in my opinion.
 #48624  by The Jackal
 Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:30 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:50 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:24 pm
I could be way off… but this makes me think that the OC is going to come from outside the current staff.
Need a new OL coach and OC? Certainly Patrick Covington’s bags are packed and he’s already on the way!

One thing we haven't really discussed is that Furman could follow a co-coordinator approach. This sort of bucks the trend of one coach handling all of the duties.

There are a number of big programs that use co-coordinators either on offense or defense. In the SoCon, Mercer utilizes co-offensive coordinators. The head coach calls the plays (at least I think he does).

The question would come back to "who calls the plays?" Maybe Hendrix would. To my knowledge, he hasn't called plays at Furman (maybe he did at AFA), but there are plenty of head coaches that handle that job.

Perhaps Furman would go a that route.
 #48625  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:01 pm
Related…#2 Ranked Passing O in D2…threw it ~40x/game…

#48626  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:39 pm
FWIW Wikipedia has Clay and 2 others as the OCs for AFA from 2008 - 2015. So he certainly can operate in a co-coordinator scenario and might actually prefer it.
 #48627  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:46 pm
Looks like Quarles is building quite a staff at ETSU. Might have to add his name to the short list of FU cosches at new schools we no longer will beat along with Cronin at Mercer.
 #48636  by Yadkin
 Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:35 am
apaladin wrote:
Looks like Quarles is building quite a staff at ETSU. Might have to add his name to the short list of FU cosches at new schools we no longer will beat along with Cronin at Mercer.
And poof…the board Linus becomes a George Quarles fan. Amazing.
 #48637  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:00 am
Yadkin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
No. What is amazing is Quarles becoming a thorn in our side, like Cronic. The. Board Linus (apaladin ?) has NOT indicated being a Quarles fan or aficionado. No “poof” has occurred. Your observation is false.
apaladin liked this
 #48638  by AstroDin
 Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:28 am
The way I look at it the roots of Furman football and its relevance in college football are blooming.
Furman has an ex-player now the head coach at a legacy SEC school, and an ex-coach and ex-player now coaching a sleeping giant in Virginia.

I know based on my own personal situation - I'm not getting any younger and when a client offered me a position that I could sail into the sunset I resigned from an agency I co-founded. I can't blame GQ for leaving - his family has TN roots and there was no guarantee he would get a shot at Furman as head coach.

Looking into the waves of coaches changing schools this off-season is staggering. Clay's history is to take his time filling coaching positions and make excellent coaching hires. The Furman/Greenville combo is very attractive.

I'm excited about what the future will be… Clay has an opportunity to infuse some new energy and perspective into the offense.
 #48639  by Yadkin
 Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:44 am
affirm wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:00 am
Yadkin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
No. What is amazing is Quarles becoming a thorn in our side, like Cronic. The. Board Linus (apaladin ?) has NOT indicated being a Quarles fan or aficionado. No “poof” has occurred. Your observation is false.
Nah, I’m right. The narrative changes again, I see. One day Quarles is a problem running our offense, and a sunrise later, following a change in wardrobe and and OC hire, he’s a predicted genius and Axilla the Hun. Could happen. Just entertaining to see how quickly some of our beloved “fans” regularly throw darts that, when confronted, see them as nothing more than paper airplanes. Subtle gameplay there, but the intent is clear.
din23 liked this
 #48640  by bj93
 Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:05 am
I think GC is a guy who is a very good head coach and not so good position coach/coordinator. Just like Bobby Lamb was a very good position coach/coordinator and not a not so good head coach. Not a knock on either guy, it's just different strengths. I suspect GC will do well as head coach, but he was not a very effective OC.
FUpaladin08, apaladin liked this
 #48641  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:02 am
bj93 wrote:
I think GC is a guy who is a very good head coach and not so good position coach/coordinator. Just like Bobby Lamb was a very good position coach/coordinator and not a not so good head coach. Not a knock on either guy, it's just different strengths. I suspect GC will do well as head coach, but he was not a very effective OC.

Quarles has been a head coach for about two weeks at the college level. So, let's pump the brakes on what he's going to be as a head coach.

ETSU has a lot of returning players. So, they may be a good team regardless of who the head coach. That isn't an indictment of Furman. In fact, it has very little to do with Furman.

Also, as my buddy (and frequent lurker here) discussed this two weeks ago, there are a few data points in football that are historically connected to a team's progression or regression year to year. Two of those are turnovers and performance in close games. Baseball sabermetrians might call these "Luck Factors."

ETSU led the SoCon in turnover margin at +13. Furman and UTC (both good defenses) were tied for second at +3. Like Furman's 2013 team, which also had a statistical outlier in the same category, ETSU's turnover margin is in all likelihood unsustainably high. They're a good team. They aren't THAT good. As I'm sure we all remember, our SoCon title team from 2013 hit a massive regression wall in 2014 (3-9).

ETSU also won 11 games this year, but played a bunch of close contests. The Bucs played 7 games that decided by 1 score. They went 6-1 in those games.

So, sitting here in January, if you are going to circle one SoCon team that is most likely to regress next season - it's ETSU.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #48642  by FUpaladin08
 Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:18 am
The Jackal wrote:
bj93 wrote:

Quarles has been a head coach for about two weeks at the college level. So, let's pump the brakes on what he's going to be as a head coach.

ETSU has a lot of returning players. So, they may be a good team regardless of who the head coach. That isn't an indictment of Furman. In fact, it has very little to do with Furman.

Also, as my buddy (and frequent lurker here) discussed this two weeks ago, there are a few data points in football that are historically connected to a team's progression or regression year to year. Two of those are turnovers and performance in close games. Baseball sabermetrians might call these "Luck Factors."

ETSU led the SoCon in turnover margin at +13. Furman and UTC (both good defenses) were tied for second at +3. Like Furman's 2013 team, which also had a statistical outlier in the same category, ETSU's turnover margin is in all likelihood unsustainably high. They're a good team. They aren't THAT good. As I'm sure we all remember, our SoCon title team from 2013 hit a massive regression wall in 2014 (3-9).

ETSU also won 11 games this year, but played a bunch of close contests. The Bucs played 7 games that decided by 1 score. They went 6-1 in those games.

So, sitting here in January, if you are going to circle one SoCon team that is most likely to regress next season - it's ETSU.
This is exactly what happened in 2018 vs 2019 for them. In 2018 they were 6-1 in one score games and shared the SoCon title. In 2019 they went 1-7 in one score games and dead last in the SoCon.

Also GQ contract details: https://www.wjhl.com/sports/college-sp ... eased/amp/
 #48643  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:25 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:18 am
The Jackal wrote:
bj93 wrote:

This is exactly what happened in 2018 vs 2019 for them. In 2018 they were 6-1 in one score games and shared the SoCon title. In 2019 they went 1-7 in one score games and dead last in the SoCon.

Also GQ contract details: https://www.wjhl.com/sports/college-sp ... eased/amp/

Exactly.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.