• whats wrong with Bothwell?

#48075  by Fuonetime
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:43 am
Agreed. Garrison is a big asset, not just getting rid of the ball, i.e., finding an open man but also his defense and rebounding. Would like for him to shoot more.
 #48080  by FurmAlum
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:06 pm
Garrison is doing exactly what he was recruited to do, which is be a great shooter when he gets the opportunity, be a good playmaker..ie pass the ball effectively, play good defense,rebound, and be a 3rd ball handler when necessary.

His only liability IMHO is he is usually matched up against a forward who may be 6'4"-6'8", esp when playing power 5 schools and that can be hard. He does a damn good job for his size.

He and Slaw are starting to develop a chemistry that I like. Both are excellent passers. We all would like to see him shoot more and I think he will as the season progresses.

Getting back to Both. I think everything will work itself out. Everybody goes thru a little slump occasionally especially when the opposing defense is keying on stopping him.

Garrison shooting more might be the key to getting some of the defensive focus off Both. Hunter is going to be getting a lot of attention too. Wow, he has turned into a real scorer.
Davemeister liked this
 #48332  by Jasper
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:11 pm
Going to the basket is a huge part of Mike’s game. When FU plays with 3 or even 4 guards, he is being guarded by a guy 3 or 4 inches taller He’s getting to the basket fine but cannot get off a decent shot. He needs to hit some 3’s or kick it out quickly when the D collapses on him. Furman’s height disadvantage is very obvious against big teams. If we are not hitting 3’s , we are toast. We hit a bunch in the first half against UNC and then quieted down after intermission. Tar Heels we’re getting 2nd and 3rd chances all night and blew us away when the 3’s started to miss as a result of agressive D by their bigs.
FurmAlum liked this
 #48341  by Furmanoid
 Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:55 am
In the olden days you had 3 main options.
1. Shoot the long shot.
2. Fake it and drive to the hoop.
3. Fake, drive and pull up at 10-15 ft.

Very few players still have option 3. That would be a great thing to develop.
apaladin liked this
 #48354  by FurmAlum
 Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:03 pm
Jasper's analysis is spot on. The key to success for the rest of the season is the development of some big people like Hughey, Williams, and Repass to get the big athletic guys off Both. It would help if Lawrence could get healthy, too.

Then Both could do what we know he can do.
 #48357  by Flagman
 Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:51 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
1. Shoot the long shot.

#3 isn't in our DNA.
LB1987 liked this
 #48360  by Furmanoid
 Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:47 am
Flagman wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:51 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
1. Shoot the long shot.

#3 isn't in our DNA.
I know. We (and most other teams) pass it up all the time. So teams only have to defend the arc and the basket. They are off balance in that massive area in between, but nobody makes them pay. It would be great if someday we challenge the current dogma and start cashing in on easy shots. Making 10 footers would be seen as revolutionary!

Oh, and get off my lawn!
FurmAlum liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.