• Its not always the coach

#48315  by Afurmanfan
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:22 am
There seems to be a consensus on this board that “something had to change’” to the offensive staff for our team to improve.
FYI-Coach Bobby Johnson, who led us to national championship game, was 5-6 in his fifth year- obviously a poorly coached team. Seems like he was not a good hire based on many comments here. Subsequent records of 9-3,9-3,12-3 followed his fifth year obvious “failure.”
Steve Spurrier had 3 consecutive 11-2 seasons in 2011-2013 before going 7-6 in 2014 and quitting in 2015 with a 2-4 record. Did they suddenly become a poorly coached team? Or did losing a unique combination of players on the same team like Connor Shaw, Marcus Lattimore and Jadeveon Clowney have something to do with it?
Long story short, to think that every problem with every team reflects poorly on the coaches can be a shortsighted conclusion.
Perhaps a combination of really good players at critical positions, staying healthy and some luck is necessary for really great seasons. And sometimes things happen where players don’t develop like anticipated, somebody transfers unexpectedly, or a handful of key plays don’t go our way.
To think a staff change is necessary every time a disappointing season occurs can create more problems than it solves.
Yadkin, FurmAlum, FU69 liked this
 #48316  by Thorny
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:04 am
I think some of the fans on here are over the top and will always be unreasonably critical but...

A coaching change is happening whether we like it or not. Better yet, one of our guys is taking a big step up and has a huge opportunity elsewhere.

Fans are never going to be reasonable. I don't hang around other message boards that much so I can't compare. I defended Lamb to the death on here and was disappointed when Furman let him go. His track record was going in the wrong direction but he had spent his entire career at Furman from being a starting quarterback that would take us to an FCS National Championship contest and had progressed all the way to head coach. In his nine years as head coach he had gotten us to the FCS playoffs four times and only had one losing season (5-6). The man had been with Furman for 24 years and had been part of 2 FCS National Championship contests and 13 FCS playoff appearances in one form or another. He was Furman Football.

However, the powers that be and many if the fans on here were ready for a change. And, sadly, they seemed to be right. Lamb went to Mercer and consistently coached .500 teams. I honestly thought with new facilities and an energized fan base he was going to make us look silly.

It's been a few years and between App State and Georgia Southern moving on to greener pastures and updating are facilities...Furman is now the most storied program, has the highest game attendance, may be the best funded, and has some of the best facilities in conference.

I don't think talking sh*t about the coaches helps Furman with recruiting, our Coaches ability to do their jobs, or even the morale of the players.

But...I really expected more given the circumstances. I get there is a lot of stuff we don't see but the coaches had been trying to put together an O-line without a lot of depth, experience, and with players they hadn't recruited but when they finally had the depth and experience with an already seasoned and tested O-line they had personally recruited and developed this spring...the stars aligned and all of the sudden...they looked really bad!!!

So yeah, I am frustrated.
FU69 liked this
 #48320  by Yadkin
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:44 am
Sometimes fields need to be plowed twice or three times for folks to see what’s under the turf

FU’s core issue the last 2+ seasons has been QB.

Grainger was average as a R-Fr. in 2019, showing flashes of both brilliance (Ga. State) and dog play (UTC, Citadel). Happens to many, many new QBs. Sisson does same in much more limited playing time. FU still good enough to go 6-2 in SoCon and make playoffs.

2020 fall season doesn’t happen, and Grainger checks out/flunks out in Dec. Maybe at some places you make a quick addition to cover the loss. Not at FU.

FU signs Wilson in Dec. ‘20 but denies him the ability to enroll in Jan. ‘21 because of Furman Advantage/Disadvantage timetable. Think that’s an issue at most other places? What difference would a spring practice have made for him/FU in fall ‘21 season?

Spring ‘21 season starts well but we get progressively worse as limited season goes on. Only one QB. Opponents adjusted. We had no counter. ‘21 spring season sucked for a lot of folks.

Fall ‘21 season starts with a touch of bad luck as Wilson misses 10 days of preseason and critical development time with Covid, and transfer QB addition checks out early in preseason, effectively leaving us with one QB again, until midseason.

Coaches ultimately wear the hat of a winner or collar of a loser. That’s the business, but my take is the coaching staff was/is fine. Some folks on here have tried to suggest Roberto’s abilities were marginalized until late season, when he ran wild against pathetic WCU and Samford defenses, yet none of these armchair Maddens did any second guessing when Devin Wynn ran for 200+ vs. Wofford.

My take is Wilson will continue to improve. Kid did about as well as a true freshman as Grainger did as a R-Fr. Sisson will be an adequate backup, and FU will have at least, most likely two recruited QBs in the pipeline when fall practice starts.
Last edited by Yadkin on Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davemeister, FurmAlum, FU69 liked this
 #48322  by Furmanoid
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:46 am
Not fair to expect much from the OL. Pretty sure the coach had never coached or played OL. Can’t expect him to master the job overnight. It’ll take the experience of developing at least one group before he figures it out. Not fair to evaluate him for maybe 5-6 years. Just have to be loyal and patient.
 #48325  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:31 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:44 am
Sometimes fields need to be plowed twice or three times for folks to see what’s under the turf

FU’s core issue the last 2+ seasons has been QB.

Grainger was average as a R-Fr. in 2019, showing flashes of both brilliance (Ga. State) and dog play (UTC, Citadel). Happens to many, many new QBs. Sisson does same in much more limited playing time. FU still good enough to go 6-2 in SoCon and make playoffs.

2020 fall season doesn’t happen, and Grainger checks out/flunks out in Dec. Maybe at some places you make a quick addition to cover the loss. Not at FU.

FU signs Wilson in Dec. ‘20 but denies him the ability to enroll in Jan. ‘21 because of Furman Advantage/Disadvantage timetable. Think that’s an issue at most other places? What difference would a spring practice have made for him/FU in fall ‘21 season?

Spring ‘21 season starts well but we get progressively worse as limited season goes on. Only one QB. Opponents adjusted. We had no counter. ‘21 spring season sucked for a lot of folks.

Fall ‘21 season starts with a touch of bad luck as Wilson misses 10 days of preseason and critical development time with Covid, and transfer QB addition checks out early in preseason, effectively leaving us with one QB again, until midseason.

Coaches ultimately wear the hat of a winner or collar of a loser. That’s the business, but my take is the coaching staff was/is fine. Some folks on here have tried to suggest Roberto’s abilities were marginalized until late season, when he ran wild against pathetic WCU and Samford defenses, yet none of these armchair Maddens did any second guessing when Devin Wynn ran for 200+ vs. Wofford.

My take is Wilson will continue to improve. Kid did about as well as a true freshman as Grainger did as a R-Fr. Sisson will be an adequate backup, and FU will have at least, most likely two recruited QBs in the pipeline when fall practice starts.

This, and a few of the other comments, are reasoned takes.

The majority of this forum and registered posters are not among the "perpetually dissatisfied." The team is never as good as we look on our best day, nor as bad as we look on our worst. I think most of us understand that.
 #48327  by FUBeAR
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:45 pm
How ‘bout perpetually disoriented?
 #48328  by Furmanoid
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:09 pm
No, it’s not always the coach. But in the current case, shouldn’t we be hoping it was the coach? If it was the coach, then we have the perfect opportunity to fix it.

If it was the QB, ok, seemed like an obvious problem to me, but seems easier to upgrade oc’s than qb’s. If a guy who wins FBS bowl games wasn’t good enough then I guess we need a really awesome QB to make this thing work. And if he’s too obviously awesome, he’ll be gone quick.
 #48330  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:30 pm
Thorny wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:04 am
I think some of the fans on here are over the top and will always be unreasonably critical but...

A coaching change is happening whether we like it or not. Better yet, one of our guys is taking a big step up and has a huge opportunity elsewhere.

Fans are never going to be reasonable. I don't hang around other message boards that much so I can't compare. I defended Lamb to the death on here and was disappointed when Furman let him go. His track record was going in the wrong direction but he had spent his entire career at Furman from being a starting quarterback that would take us to an FCS National Championship contest and had progressed all the way to head coach. In his nine years as head coach he had gotten us to the FCS playoffs four times and only had one losing season (5-6). The man had been with Furman for 24 years and had been part of 2 FCS National Championship contests and 13 FCS playoff appearances in one form or another. He was Furman Football.

However, the powers that be and many if the fans on here were ready for a change. And, sadly, they seemed to be right. Lamb went to Mercer and consistently coached .500 teams. I honestly thought with new facilities and an energized fan base he was going to make us look silly.

It's been a few years and between App State and Georgia Southern moving on to greener pastures and updating are facilities...Furman is now the most storied program, has the highest game attendance, may be the best funded, and has some of the best facilities in conference.

I don't think talking sh*t about the coaches helps Furman with recruiting, our Coaches ability to do their jobs, or even the morale of the players.

But...I really expected more given the circumstances. I get there is a lot of stuff we don't see but the coaches had been trying to put together an O-line without a lot of depth, experience, and with players they hadn't recruited but when they finally had the depth and experience with an already seasoned and tested O-line they had personally recruited and developed this spring...the stars aligned and all of the sudden...they looked really bad!!!

So yeah, I am frustrated.
Right on. To BL we beat him REALLY (like by 40 the last time when we kneeled at the end) BAD at Mercer. May have been 6-1 or 5-2 or something (not sure) vs Mercer with BL there. Then Cronic shows up. We are instantly 0-2 vs Mercer

Coaches matter A LOT. Back to the adage. It’s Xs and Os and Jimmy’s and Joes. Cronic took BL guys and beat us twice consecutive.

Love BL but he’s a .500 coach. Mercer let him
go for a reason. And they are a better team now that he’s gone

And yes. Let’s blow some people off the ball on OL. That is CH specialty. And the key to the game
 #48331  by FUBeAR
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:56 pm
For the record…FU vs. MU

Season Location Winner Score FU Diff. FU Record Coaches
2021 FU MU 24-3 -21 4-4 Hendrix Cronic
2020 MU MU 26-14 -12 4-3 Hendrix Cronic
2019 FU FU 45-10 +35 4-2 Hendrix Lamb
2018 MU FU 35-30 +5 3-2 Hendrix Lamb
2017 FU FU 28-21 +7 2-2 Hendrix Lamb
2016 MU MU 27-24 -3 1-2 Fowler Lamb
2015 FU MU 27-20 (OT) -7 1-1 Fowler Lamb
2014 MU FU 25-20 +5 1-0 Fowler Lamb
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Affirm liked this
 #48337  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:49 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:56 pm
For the record…FU vs. MU

Season Location Winner Score FU Diff. FU Record Coaches
2021 FU MU 24-3 -21 4-4 Hendrix Cronic. …. CRONIC WINS
2020 MU MU 26-14 -12 4-3 Hendrix Cronic. …. CRONIC WINS
2019 FU FU 45-10 +35 4-2 Hendrix Lamb. ….. HENDRIX BEATS BL
2018 MU FU 35-30 +5 3-2 Hendrix Lamb. …. HENDRIX BEATS BL
2017 FU FU 28-21 +7 2-2 Hendrix Lamb. …. HENDRIX BEATS BL
2016 MU MU 27-24 -3 1-2 Fowler Lamb
2015 FU MU 27-20 (OT) -7 1-1 Fowler Lamb
2014 MU FU 25-20 +5 1-0 Fowler Lamb
Thanks FUBeAR, as I roughly remembered.

So Hendrix vs Cronic. Chronic 2. Hendrix 0
Hendrix vs Lamb. Hendrix 3. Lamb 0

That was sorta my point. Coaches and players matter. Several of the same players Hendrix beats Lamb every time. Cronic, so far, has beaten CH every time.
 #48340  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:40 am
I'm not sure the point of the Cronic discussion.

coaching, talent, depth, execution, and sometimes a bit of luck make a lot of difference in the success of a football team.
Affirm liked this
 #48342  by Furmanoid
 Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:52 am
The Jackal wrote:

coaching, talent, depth, execution, and sometimes a bit of luck make a lot of difference in the success of a football team.
Depth is on the coaches. Execution is a function of coaching and talent. So that leaves coaching, talent and luck.

Since hinting at any deficiencies in coaching or talent causes much hate and discontent we need to focus on luck. We might be able to hire a root doctor from down around Jasper Co. or something. Or we could go all Aztec and do sacrifices in the Bell Tower.
 #48343  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:22 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:52 am
The Jackal wrote:

Depth is on the coaches. Execution is a function of coaching and talent. So that leaves coaching, talent and luck.

Since hinting at any deficiencies in coaching or talent causes much hate and discontent we need to focus on luck. We might be able to hire a root doctor from down around Jasper Co. or something. Or we could go all Aztec and do sacrifices in the Bell Tower.

If the coaches were able to predict that our starting QB would transfer before a spring season caused by a global pandemic and the talented freshman recruit wouldn't be allowed to join the team in the spring and then miss time because of said pandemic, then we'd probably have to pay them a higher rate.
Affirm liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.