• Bad or Good Night in the SoCon

#48297  by Affirm
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:49 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:51 am
The word also means "to imitate". No thanks.
“GrammarBook.com: Your No. 1 Source For Grammar and Punctuation” considers it a mistake to confuse “emulate” and “imitate”. “Emulate” means “to try to be as good or successful as.” (- NOT SOMETHING THAT I’M TOO PROUD OR TOO STUBBORN FOR. MAYBE SOME PEOPLE are TOO PROUD OR TOO STUBBORN.). “Imitate”means “to copy or fashion oneself after.”
“A sentence like ‘He tried to emulate her’ is repeating itself. He ‘tried to try’ to be as good as she was. We don’t ‘try to emulate’. We’re already trying,”.
…So YES, I do want Furman to emulate aspects of the athletics successes, and also (and more importantly) aspects of the the academic successes, of those 3 schools mentioned that appear to be very similar to Furman but also appear to be more successful.
Merry Christmas!
 #48301  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:07 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:49 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:51 am
The word also means "to imitate". No thanks.
“GrammarBook.com: Your No. 1 Source For Grammar and Punctuation” considers it a mistake to confuse “emulate” and “imitate”. “Emulate” means “to try to be as good or successful as.” (- NOT SOMETHING THAT I’M TOO PROUD OR TOO STUBBORN FOR. MAYBE SOME PEOPLE are TOO PROUD OR TOO STUBBORN.). “Imitate”means “to copy or fashion oneself after.”
“A sentence like ‘He tried to emulate her’ is repeating itself. He ‘tried to try’ to be as good as she was. We don’t ‘try to emulate’. We’re already trying,”.
…So YES, I do want Furman to emulate aspects of the athletics successes, and also (and more importantly) aspects of the the academic successes, of those 3 schools mentioned that appear to be very similar to Furman but also appear to be more successful.
Merry Christmas!
What ya got on “demerit” vs. “detriment?” Asking for a friend…and for Jackal.
 #48376  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:33 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:07 pm
“SoCon alters COVID rescheduling policies for basketball.” https://soconsports.com/news/2021/12/27 ... tball.aspx
I do not like this. It gives teams too much control over their position in the standngs. We all know the SoCon’s reschedulng efforts suck bigtime.
FU69 liked this
 #48472  by cavedweller2
 Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:26 pm
It was at Chatt,

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.