• Transfers

#48268  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:28 am
I'd guess that this could would probably transfer and be ready for spring practice.

Watched his film and came away with a few impressions: he can run, he has a strong quick release, and is very accurate.

He started six games for PC in 2019 when they were still playing a Big South schedule, so he's got experience playing against FCS scholarship teams that Furman routinely sees. He was their second leading rusher that year, though it looks like the Hose were running a two-QB system.

He was the starter for PC's spring season against a Pioneer League schedule.

I expect the QB competition will be open. I'm sure the coaching staff would prefer to redshirt Jones. Heck, I'm sure they'd prefer to redshirt Wilson too. We know Sisson and Wilson can win at this level, so that should provide some really solid competition going into the fall.

I think we'll see a lot of improvement with a "normal" spring practice schedule.
 #48270  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:28 am
I'd guess that this could would probably transfer and be ready for spring practice.
Believe someone (who should know) said, unfortunately, he won’t be at FU until summer…but, hopefully, he’ll pick things up quickly and compete for the job -> IRON SHARPENS IRON!
 #48274  by FurmanATT
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:37 am
Presbyterian's former star QB, Tyler Huff, is transferring in. He is one of many in the portal from PC in the aftermath of Tommy Spangler's astonishing firing as head coach and the short-lived disaster of hiring Kevin Kelley. Huff had great numbers in the spring season (1st winning record for Blue Hose since 2014) but was immediately demoted when Ren Hefley transferred in. I'm surprised he stayed at PC as long as he did.
Anyway, he's a quality addition. I've watched him at PC quite a lot.
-- MD
FUBeAR, The Jackal, dornb liked this
 #48731  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:21 am
Speaking of Transfer QB’s, FUBeAR found this one interesting & thought some of y’all might as well…and FUBeAR is fully aware that this post doesn’t belong in a thread in the Furman Football section of this venue, but dissemination of this information for the greater good of edifying those unaware outweighs your individual liberty to be free of such infringement upon your (presumed) right of having a focused thread…in FUBeAR’s opinion. Mods/Stumpy may disagree. :D

His year for the Terps…11 for 15 for 100 yds with 1 TD & 1 INT…about the same as he put up in an avg. quarter with VMI (except for the INT(s), of course)
Affirm liked this
 #48733  by The Jackal
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:33 am
. . . . all time passing leader at VMI, and didn't play two seasons.
 #48738  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:56 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:33 am
. . . . all time passing leader at VMI, and didn't play two seasons.
Not sure what you mean…

Played 3 full seasons at VMI (only 8 games FR year) … 2017-2019
Played 1 Partial/Injured/Covid season of 4 games in 2020 (“free” year for all)
Played 1 Season (which will probably be a “redshirt season” for him since he only played in 4 games) at UMd in 2021

Guessing he has 1 year to play for Richmond…barring any extra Medical Hardship years the NCAA may allow (cuz…like Phil Collins, they…

)
 #48741  by The Jackal
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:16 am
I'm saying that he's VMI's all time passing leader and played two seasons for teams other than VMI. That is an impressive statistic.
 #48744  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:16 am
I'm saying that he's VMI's all time passing leader and played two seasons for teams other than VMI. That is an impressive statistic.
Guess I’m missing your point or something…

He played in 35 games for VMI in 3+ seasons in an “Air Raid” O throwing the ball about 40x/game. Furman’s all time passing leader played in 40 games for FU in an O that threw it about 25x/game.

Seems like he would pretty much be expected to be their Passing Leader.

Just Covid “free” year + 4 game redshirt rule…gives him 6 calendar years to play 4 ‘qualifying’ seasons. No more classes for him to take at VMI. Not going to start / play at Maryland over Tagovailoa II. Richmond has an MBA program and he’s an Econ/Biz major guy.
 #48761  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:43 am
FWIW. I wish him luck, though I'm not super sad to see him decommit from a conference rival.

#48765  by AstroDin
 Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:21 am
The coaches are following several interesting players in the portal.
I'm curious to see if we add a few more to this class in Feb.
 #48771  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:04 pm
Heard a figure thrown out the other day that 80 percent are still in the portal.
 #48794  by dornb
 Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:56 pm
If there are 1,700+ players in the portal, it makes sense that many won't get picked up by new teams. Hopefully, players will realize that the portal is not the answer for everything.
 #48843  by paladinfan12
 Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:43 am
FWIW. I wish him luck, though I'm not super sad to see him decommit from a conference rival.

Maybe he'll pull a Travis Blackshear and come back. That would be pretty awesome.
dornb, apaladin liked this
 #48910  by FurmAlum
 Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:14 am
Stetson Bennett. A walk-on. Nobody believed in him. Nobody wanted him. But he believed in himself, and so did his coach and his teammmates. And now he will be remembered in Georgia football QB immortality.

Maybe some of these players that want to transfer every time something doesn't go their way ought to take notice?

He worked while he waited. And now he is a National Champion.
din23, dornb, bj93 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.