• Quarles

#48238  by Sad Din
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:34 pm
That is great.Congrats! Hope he takes that same high powered offense to ETSU!
 #48239  by FurmanATT
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:01 pm
The FurmanATT.com story will be up in a few minutes. -- MD
FUBeAR liked this
 #48243  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:31 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:03 pm
https://markybillson.medium.com/etsu-at ... f5457bf064

Interesting commentary.
Several of our regular posters would love this hack’s complete catalog of writings & videos. He’s a regular Boreman Vincent Heel. Guessing he never played a snap, minute, set, hole, or chukker of any sport in his entire life, but he knows it all…about everything.

Billy Taylor may be a good DC (FUBeAR finds his Defenses a bit undisciplined, but what does a bear of very little brain know), but he’s been passed over for the ETSU HC job 2 or 3 times now. No doubt, the mucky mucks at ETSU have a reason for that. FUBeAR has been loyal to Elizabeth Hurley for years, but she still won’t go out with him.
 #48244  by Thorny
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:00 pm
I would love Bratton to be Furman's OC.

I also would be frustrated with CCH if he didn't bother to look around to see who else was available for the job.

I don't want Furman to switch to the spread or a throw twice a game offense. I like the idea of having a run first smashed mouth offense but...

Why did our offensive line take so long to get up to speed?

Why did we not start using Roberto heavily until late in the year? Most of our offensive coaches were around CCH's first year when they couldn't get the offense to move until they realized most teams couldn't stop us if we just handed the ball to our big backs every play and CCH was around when we had Felton so it's not like he doesn't how to put the pieces together to get the most out Roberto's skill set.

It's like they had every part of what has been the secret sauce for Furman/them and just decided to sit on it.

/I'm frustrated.
//I would not complain if we promote from within.
///I'll give credit for end of the year improvement and hope it had more to do with the offensive line and QB than play calling and game plan...because our coaches really should have not taken half the season to realize they had already caught lightning in a bottle.
Sad Din liked this
 #48246  by Sad Din
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:18 pm
Thorny wrote:

I also would be frustrated with CCH if he didn't bother to look around to see who else was available for the job.

I don't want Furman to switch to the spread or a throw twice a game offense. I like the idea of having a run first smashed mouth offense but...

Why did we not start using Roberto heavily until late in the year? Most of our offensive coaches were around CCH's first year when they couldn't get the offense to move until they realized most teams couldn't stop us if we just handed the ball to our big backs every play and CCH was around when we had Felton so it's not like he doesn't how to put the pieces together to get the most out Roberto's skill set.

It's like they had every part of what has been the secret sauce for Furman/them and just decided to sit on it.

/I'm frustrated.
///I'll give credit for end of the year improvement and hope it had more to do with the offensive line and QB than play calling and game plan...because our coaches really should have not taken half the season to realize they had already caught lightning in a bottle.
Yes for BB!
 #48247  by El Guapo
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:31 pm
So crazy how a coach who received wide (and I believe merited) criticism for a stagnant office gets a HC job for a school that is trending upwards (SoCon champs, quarterfinal appearance, beat FU, etc). All that said, I’m happy for GQ and wish him well. I wonder how ETSU can base is reacting? Excitement? Disappointment? What?

Also I’m not opposed to BB as our next OC but hoping that FU conducts a thorough search of lots of different possibilities before making any final decision.
 #48249  by Furmanoid
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:45 pm
I just don’t see anything in BB’s resume that screams OC of playoff caliber FCS program. What am I missing?
apaladin liked this
 #48251  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:52 pm
Thorny wrote:

/I'm frustrated.

My two cents.

Wynn's injury forced Furman do change what they wanted to do. Roberto ended up taking a lot of those carries. His running style really fit our offensive line's talents.

As I think about it, though, I think these two plays sort of highlight the transformation of the offense.

Against ETSU, Wilson gets pressured, makes a bad decision, and throws a crippling interception.

Against Samford, a few weeks later, Wilson gets pressured, finds his outlet, and throws a completion for a big pickup.

I think you saw the coaching staff uncover some things with Roberto that complimented the maturation of Wilson during the course of the season.
 #48252  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:54 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:45 pm
I just don’t see anything in BB’s resume that screams OC of playoff caliber FCS program. What am I missing?

What exactly in your opinion screams OC of a playoff caliber FCS program?
 #48254  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:24 pm
We are now two OCs removed from CCH’s original plans for running the Furman offense since taking over as HC. I’d say he now has a chance to reflect and decide what the Offense should look like moving forward. That answer might determine if he goes with BB (or another inside hire), or looks outside.

I don’t know what BB’s offensive philosophy is or if he’d be expected to continue with the current scheme. I do know that losing GQ also means losing a QB coach and recruiting ties in TN. Those are two things CCH has to consider when filling that vacancy. If the new hire will not be OC he will need to be a QB coach and talented recruiter. It might make more sense to return to a co-OC with BB as part of that if the new hire will help lead the offense. Maybe he can pull an old Air Force buddy from his time there on the offensive side? Either way I have full confidence in CCH to add to the program in a positive way.
 #48255  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:52 pm
I think everyone was asking for a change, IIRC so now we have it and CCH didn’t have to do the dirty work. Now it is his job to find a great OC. Hopefully he give this some thought and consider many and not just plug someone in because it’s convenient.
bj93 liked this
 #48256  by Afurmanfan
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:05 am
As an ex Furman player and someone who knows Clay pretty well, there is nothing about his approach to anything that isn’t well thought out. He will make the best decision for the program. I believe this is his fifth year, so we should see his full signature in the next couple of years.
Steve Spurrier was an “offensive genius” with Connor Shaw, but became a much poorer offensive coach after him. QB is such a critical position, they can make coaches look great or bad. And fans who can’t differentiate the two issues are the majority of fans. Similar to Spurrier’s decline that led him to quit mid-season (classy), just look at Clemson’s offense this year. Trevor made the coaches look great and DJ made them look stupid. The problem with our offense this year was clear without calling anyone out.
Even the great Spurrier couldn’t overcome the same problem.
apaladin, FUBeAR liked this
 #48257  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:59 am
Some good posts. I’m sure CH will think very hard about this No doubt. Clearly offense was our main issue this year. That and pass defense. This does give CH a clean slate with which to start his fifth? Year…. It will be interesting to see who and what type of offense he chooses. I am sure he will stay close to the run first and play action standard. We just need to find someone who can help us execute it better like Cronic could.

Execution of 15 plays perfectly ! Not 30+ plays pretty well. That’s who we need. Someone who can drill the OL etc into perfection
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.