• woffopd game thread

#4818  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:55 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:33 pm
We kept our season alive for another week. Have to win out to make the playoffs.
I go back and forth on this.

If Furman wins out, they'll be 7-3 and likely SoCon champs (at least co-champs). So yes, playoffs.

If Furman goes 6-4(6-2) they'll likely finish second or third in the SoCon. 6 win teams rarely make the post season, but Furman also had Colgate cancel on them. That would have been likely a double-digit win over a top 25 team. Can the committee dock us for having another school cancel a game? Maybe.

We had a blowout loss to a top 5 team and then a blowout win over a top 5 team. The ETSU game may haunt us this season. The good new is, we still control our destiny.
 #4820  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:07 pm
Just a couple of thoughts.

1. I thought that was our most complete game in a long time. Wofford had been dominating teams and looked completely overmatched by Furman on both sides of the ball.

2. We had a huge advantage with our backs out of the backfield. We started to incorporate those guys into the passing game a good bit against WCU, and then just ran Wofford ragged with it. The Terrier defense is built for a slug fest in the middle of the field, and Furman worked them sideline to sideline.

3. I think you saw an experience advantage in the coaching staff. Furman's more veteran group was making tweaks and adjustments and Wofford really wasn't countering. This was their first time playing from a significant deficit, and they didn't seem to know how to counter.

4. Harris Roberts was fantastic. I'm happy for him. A great story of a guy that bided his time and has made the most of his chance. His decision making is really impressive and he gets better every week.

5. Our defense had a wonderful game. They took the one thing Wofford does really well, and basically shut it down. They tackled well, wrapped up Newman, and surrendered 247 yards to the FCS's top rushing offense.

6. Perhaps most impressively, they closed down the football game. Furman held the ball 10 minutes in the fourth quarter. With a lead, protecting the ball, picking up first downs, and keeping Wofford's defense on the field shut down any hope of a comeback.

7. The season is still in front of us. If we bring that sort of effort each week, we will have a fine chance to win out.
AstroDin, Jasper, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #4821  by AstroDin
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:15 pm
Made what could have been a beat seat decision row A 50-yard line - I had a bird's eye view on quite a few pinpoint sideline passes by Roberts. Not sure how many times we had connections on the sideline but Roberts was on the money every time. I noticed in warmups today on deep balls he was on target on every throw - as was Hamp Sisson.

So many great plays but I especially loved the Roberts fake toss and then a rope to Ryan Miller over the middle for a first down. I really like Miller.

Jackal said it our tailbacks catching balls out of the backfield wore the Terriers out. I'm buying what Quarles is selling.
 #4823  by cavedweller2
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:30 pm
Jackal #2 is spot on. I made that observation to my people’s in the stands in the 1st qtr. make them defend sideline to sideline and we will kill them with it.
 #4824  by cavedweller2
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:31 pm
DPLOT

And we did. Great game.
 #4826  by cavedweller2
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:33 pm
TPLOT
I told Hawg walking in I thought we were going to win.
 #4833  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:26 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:31 pm
DPLOT

And we did. Great game.
I am finally going to ask.. DPLOT and TPLOT?? double post? triple post? what do these mean? I googled them - got nothing. Been seeing these for years. Haven't asked.

thanks for answer in advance
 #4834  by cavedweller2
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:33 pm
Double post like old time. Triple post like old time. Goes way back to old incarnations of the UFFP.
FUBeAR liked this
 #4835  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:38 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:33 pm
Double post like old time. Triple post like old time. Goes way back to old incarnations of the UFFP.
thank you!
 #4850  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:55 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:33 pm
We kept our season alive for another week. Have to win out to make the playoffs.
I go back and forth on this.

If Furman wins out, they'll be 7-3 and likely SoCon champs (at least co-champs). So yes, playoffs.

If Furman goes 6-4(6-2) they'll likely finish second or third in the SoCon. 6 win teams rarely make the post season, but Furman also had Colgate cancel on them. That would have been likely a double-digit win over a top 25 team. Can the committee dock us for having another school cancel a game? Maybe.

We had a blowout loss to a top 5 team and then a blowout win over a top 5 team. The ETSU game may haunt us this season. The good new is, we still control our destiny.
It is not a given that we would have beaten Colgate. They are 6-0. Have been impressive . Yes, we could have won, but at least as likely that we would have lost.
On the other hand, ETSU is also doing well @ 5-1.