• 2022 Commitments

#48064  by AstroDin
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:50 am
We shouldn't overlook the effort and outcome to build this early signing class. We had three de-commits one signed with Kent, one with Army, and to TennTech (with extenuating circumstances). I view this as a testament to our coaches doing their homework on players.

As much as I hated to see those guys sign elsewhere keeping Carson Jones and Charles Ingram in the barn were coups. Except for Mercer, I think most schools took Carson's commit as etched in stone and backed away. Ingram on the other hand got power 5 offers after his commitment (KU and Syracuse).

After watching the film on Jayquan Smith - he could prove to be one of the top gets of this class. He's smooth, physically strong running back.
FUBeAR liked this
 #48065  by Davemeister
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:53 am
With Jace, Hamp (if he stays), and Carson on board, do we really need this guy? Not dissing this young man at all, just have to wonder about the numbers.
 #48066  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:54 am
Davemeister wrote:
With Jace, Hamp (if he stays), and Carson on board, do we really need this guy? Not dissing this young man at all, just have to wonder about the numbers.
If the coaching staff offered him a scholarship, they think we'd be better with him. I'll take that at face value.
 #48068  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:59 am
Davemeister wrote:
Numbers? As in number of QB’s on the roster or Mr. Huff’s numbers (stats)?

If the former, FUBeAR thinks we saw what can happen (and knows Mercer did as well in 2018 & 2019 & Chatt this year) when the QB ‘numbers’ on the roster are on the low side. Samford has 10 (9 returning) on their roster & signed 2. Not suggesting FU should have double digit # of QB’s in the barn, but 5 or 6 seems to be kinda the ‘right’ number.

If the latter, you have FUBeAR’s evaluation. No other documentation is necessary.
 #48069  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:02 am
Programming note.

Caleb Williams and Tampa Jesuit won a state championship this past weekend in Florida. I believe Williams is #25

Jesuit is becoming a Florida power house. We've pulled kids out of there a few times recently, I believe. Williams this year. I believe Lex Capitano and Braden Gilby are out of the same high school.

Of note, Jesuit's DBs coach is a former Furman player and one of the more entertaining guys I had the privilege of knowing in college, Tristan Owusu-Yaw.
 #48071  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:04 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:59 am
Davemeister wrote:
Numbers? As in number of QB’s on the roster or Mr. Huff’s numbers (stats)?

If the former, FUBeAR thinks we saw what can happen (and knows Mercer did as well in 2018 & 2019 & Chatt this year) when the QB ‘numbers’ on the roster are on the low side. Samford has 10 (9 returning) on their roster & signed 2. Not suggesting FU should have double digit # of QB’s in the barn, but 5 or 6 seems to be kinda the ‘right’ number.

If the latter, you have FUBeAR’s evaluation. No other documentation is necessary.

I also imagine Furman would very much like to get out of the business of playing Freshmen QBs.
gman84 liked this
 #48081  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:30 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
If the coaching staff offered him a scholarship, they think we'd be better with him. I'll take that at face value.
which confirms that the coaches know we have had too few QBs with experience. They know they made a mistake in some form or fashion with recruiting, Grainger, transfers etc. It appears CH and co. want 4+ QBs now
 #48089  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:16 pm
Davemeister wrote:
I don’t think you have to worry about HS going anywhere.
Jasper liked this
 #48094  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:30 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
which confirms that the coaches know we have had too few QBs with experience. They know they made a mistake in some form or fashion with recruiting, Grainger, transfers etc. It appears CH and co. want 4+ QBs now

I'm not sure that's what it says.

Historically, going four deep with scholarship QBs seems pretty rare at the FCS level, or at least at Furman. It's difficult with scholarship numbers to contribute four scholarships to one position that only plays one guy at a time. I can't think of too many seasons we where we had that much depth at QB.

At the same time, with the transfer portal I think you are one kid's decision away from having a massive issue at the game's most important position. That's not just an FCS problem. You can even see that at the game's highest levels - Texas A&M was down to a walk-on backing up at QB. South Carolina literally pulled a coach off the sideline to play QB. Furman was down to one QB this past spring and really only had two this fall.

So, with teams at the mercy of a guy leaving at the last minute, it probably makes sense to develop as much depth as possible at the QB position. This seems to be the only way to guard against the immediate departure of a QB to the transfer portal, which seems to be the new normal.
 #48097  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:30 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

I'm not sure that's what it says.

Historically, going four deep with scholarship QBs seems pretty rare at the FCS level, or at least at Furman. It's difficult with scholarship numbers to contribute four scholarships to one position that only plays one guy at a time. I can't think of too many seasons we where we had that much depth at QB.

At the same time, with the transfer portal I think you are one kid's decision away from having a massive issue at the game's most important position. That's not just an FCS problem. You can even see that at the game's highest levels - Texas A&M was down to a walk-on backing up at QB. South Carolina literally pulled a coach off the sideline to play QB. Furman was down to one QB this past spring and really only had two this fall.

So, with teams at the mercy of a guy leaving at the last minute, it probably makes sense to develop as much depth as possible at the QB position. This seems to be the only way to guard against the immediate departure of a QB to the transfer portal, which seems to be the new normal.
right.. in any case we agree that with the Portal (ugh) etc I think we will see most all schools try to have Maybe one more QB than they would have had before the portal?. That seems the safe play - have one more QB than with the 'old normal' so when the guy decides "hey, I don't want to wait my turn / I disagree with being second string.. I will just leave" .. you are still ok. If we thought 2 QBs was ok before maybe now we go for 3.. something like that. I still think trying for one each year isn't the worst idea. Then the strong will survive and if one transfers we are still ok. Then you lose one and end up with a senior, soph and FR?
 #48103  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:33 am
It just seems, at least to me, that with the transfer portal you are at risk of an immediate depth problem at any position. I suppose, by the same token, it would be easier to fix that depth problem by the same route, but there's no guarantee there, of course.

With the QB position in particular, it is my view that Furman needs to stabilize the boat and stop rushing guys into playing time based on need. Go back the last handful of years and count how many QBs were thrown into playing time as freshmen - Wilson, Sisson, Grainger, Blazejowski, Hannon, Woodruff, and Fletcher just off the top of my head. Maybe the only recent QB who actually had time to develop before starting was Harris Roberts.

We need to get out of that business.
 #48105  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:58 am
Interestingly, FUBeAR believes Montana State loses to UT-Martin in their 1st game of the Playoffs if they play the QB they started all season, who had played less-than-stellarly in recent games. Instead, he hit the portal and they started a True FR who has led them to the FCS Championship Game.

The Portal giveth and the Portal taketh away…either of which may be a blessing or a curse
 #48106  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:19 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:58 am
Interestingly, FUBeAR believes Montana State loses to UT-Martin in their 1st game of the Playoffs if they play the QB they started all season, who had played less-than-stellarly in recent games. Instead, he hit the portal and they started a True FR who has led them to the FCS Championship Game.

The Portal giveth and the Portal taketh away…either of which may be a blessing or a curse

It certainly happens in football where you lose a key player and it forces you to think outside your comfort zone and find new ways to win.

Honestly, I thought you saw a similar thing with Furman this year. As good as Devin Wynn is, his injury and limited availability forced our coaching staff to change what we were doing offensively to accommodate different players. What we saw was the emergence of Dominic Roberto, a powerful downhill running game, and a much more efficient offense less reliant on one player to carry all of the water.
FUBeAR, gman84 liked this
 #48107  by Davemeister
 Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:18 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:16 pm
Davemeister wrote:
I don’t think you have to worry about HS going anywhere.
Hamp graduates next Spring. He may decide to enter Med School rather than return to Furman for his final year of eligibility. CCH said in his season wrap-up show with Dan Scott: "Hamp has a decision to make."

Could be Hamp reached a decision and Coach filled his slot.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.