• 2022 Commitments

#47854  by Jasper
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:12 pm
Ok. Yet another great signing day for FU. Each one is better than the previous year it appears And then there is the actual record. Mediocre. Either the players are not as good as advertised or this coaching staff is not doing a good job with the talent recruited. Clearly something does not add up. The Darren Grainger mistake speaks to the latter.
bj93 liked this
 #47856  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:51 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:09 pm
Sain’s a walkon. Don’t believe everything you read on a fan board.
That was what I was thinking. Thanks
 #47857  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:52 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:12 pm
Ok. Yet another great signing day for FU. Each one is better than the previous year it appears And then there is the actual record. Mediocre. Either the players are not as good as advertised or this coaching staff is not doing a good job with the talent recruited. Clearly something does not add up. The Darren Grainger mistake speaks to the latter.
Always appreciate your input on this. We wouldn't want the fans to enjoy signing day or anything.
 #47871  by Paul C
 Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:35 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:29 am
Scrolling through the list, it looks like all of them have public commitments to Furman on their twitter.

The only one that does not appears to be Seth Vaughn, who posted a decommit on December 6.

Look like he decided to join his brother and sign with Tennessee Tech
 #47876  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:16 am
Looks like Olawole signed with Army.
Seems like a great decision. Obviously it wasn’t about football as Army throws about 2 passes a game. Sounds like a career move so good for him.
MNORM liked this
 #47880  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:49 pm
(The present post is redundant with a post in a different thread on the same general topic).
I am very grateful for each and every one of the new signees, and I wish them tremendous success at Furman, in every possible way. I am very grateful also for our coaches and for all the hard work that went into their successful recruitment of these 11 new Paladins. I am thankful that we got at least our one signee from the state of South Carolina. I am always glad to see "Sandlappers" choosing Furman. I am no less thankful also for the 1 each from GA, NC, TX, and QC; the 2 from FL; and the 3 from TN. Again, I wish all 11 of them tremendous success at Furman, in every possible way.
Davemeister liked this
 #48049  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:19 am
It appears Furman has put a scholarship offer on the table for Tyler Huff, a grad transfer from Presbyterian. He'd have several years of eligibility.

Huff was Presbyterian's starting QB and then lost his position with the new coaching change. Seems like he put a lot of offense on the board during his time as a starter.

https://www.laurenscountyadvertiser.net ... er-portal/

According to the article, he left the program mid year to transfer. He played in four games this fall, which, I guess kept his redshirt eligibility as he claims to have 3 years remaining.

Notable is that with the coaching change at PC, he played a variety of positions on offense. Looks like he lined up at QB, WR, and RB for the Blue Hose. He's listed at 6'1 200, so it'll be interesting to see what Furman's plans would be for him.
 #48050  by AstroDin
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:02 am
I want to give kudos to Jackal for carrying the ball on early NSD… I've been cruising and sailing the Caribbean since last Sunday. I appreciate all the updates from the board and texts from Paul.

It does look like Furman is working the portal -- strategically. We might get a good pick-up or two.
 #48052  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:59 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:19 am
It appears Furman has put a scholarship offer on the table for Tyler Huff, a grad transfer from Presbyterian. He'd have several years of eligibility.

Huff was Presbyterian's starting QB and then lost his position with the new coaching change. Seems like he put a lot of offense on the board during his time as a starter.

https://www.laurenscountyadvertiser.net ... er-portal/

According to the article, he left the program mid year to transfer. He played in four games this fall, which, I guess kept his redshirt eligibility as he claims to have 3 years remaining.

Notable is that with the coaching change at PC, he played a variety of positions on offense. Looks like he lined up at QB, WR, and RB for the Blue Hose. He's listed at 6'1 200, so it'll be interesting to see what Furman's plans would be for him.
FUBeAR doesn’t really like to hype (and tries to NEVER trash) any Players or Recruits/Signees, but since there’s a little ‘evaluation history’ with this one, he will.

Cuz he’s an FCS addict, FUBeAR tuned into the Morehead State @ PC game on 3/13/21…and LOVED what he saw from young Mr. Huff. He was a little raw and pressing just a very wee little bit too much (could have been due to the talent around him), but his arm looked very strong with a rapid release, solidly accurate, & with great mobility / ability as a runner…and TOUGHNESS just exuded from him. FUBeAR speculated he would be an excellent fit in the Offense that he thinks FU wants to run.

If he recalls correctly, as odd as it may sound, there were some fan concerns about FU’s QB position at the time. So FUBeAR texted a few former FU Teammates speculating whether or not FU might be able to somehow get young Mr. Huff attracted to a scholarship program and get him to depart the metropolis of Clinnon in exchange for the quiet life of Travelers Rest. He entered the Transfer Portal on 9/28/21. Excited to see FU has offered him.
hypercycloid liked this
 #48055  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:41 am
On the one hand, when you think of utilizing the transfer portal, you aren't really thinking about the backup QB on a 2-9 Pioneer League team.

At the same time, this kid looks like he was pushed out of starting job by the new coach who recruited one of his former HS QBs as a transfer player. Of course, Kelley lasted a single season at PC and went 2-9, so maybe that wasn't the best move on his part.

There's also value to Furman finding a kid with multiple years of eligibility that could potentially add depth or start at multiple positions. At best, maybe you get a kid that could push to start at QB. At worst, maybe you get a Luke Shiflett-type that adds depth and is a key contributor on special teams.

After reading the ESPN article on the Zappe kid at WKU, who pretty much rewrote some of the passing records in college football this season and had only one scholarship offer out of high school, sometimes all a kid needs is a chance.
 #48057  by Furmanoid
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:17 am
In HS most programs aren’t all that serious anymore so playing time is often based on non sports criteria. Coaches’ kids, administrators’ kids, booster club presidents’ kids etc. get first dibs then you fill in with players. Even then it can come down to how they look in the uniform. So there are thousands of great players who don’t get to show it until maybe senior year when it’s almost too late. The UFFP recruiting gurus need to figure out how to find those guys.
bj93 liked this
 #48058  by bj93
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:25 am
Do we know if he has actually committed to FU or just has an offer?
 #48061  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:17 am
In HS most programs aren’t all that serious anymore so playing time is often based on non sports criteria. Coaches’ kids, administrators’ kids, booster club presidents’ kids etc. get first dibs then you fill in with players. Even then it can come down to how they look in the uniform. So there are thousands of great players who don’t get to show it until maybe senior year when it’s almost too late. The UFFP recruiting gurus need to figure out how to find those guys.
I think we try to focus in on that group, to be honest.

I've frequently made this argument, but Furman looks for market inefficiencies, guys that are under recruited due to size, experience, injury history, etc. Many FCS teams do (or at least did before the transfer portal).

I think there's good business in recruiting "football players" - guys that may get overlooked because they don't fit a specific prototype. We've probably had as much success if not more success with the players that were either walk-ons or one-offer-types than with the heavily recruited players.
 #48062  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:34 am
bj93 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:25 am
Do we know if he has actually committed to FU or just has an offer?
He says he has an offer.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.