• 2022 Commitments

#47729  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:10 pm
Well, Jayquan Smith looks ready to go. Not sure how any of these guys will play out, but Smith looks like he'd be ready tomorrow.

#47735  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:07 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:12 pm
Well, dang. Day before signing day and Olawole is out.

FUBeAR is going to withhold his respect for this decision. He’s going to wait for young Mr. Olawale’s decision to transfer to his next school, then FUBeAR will respect that decision. FUBeAR only has a limited supply of decision respect to allocate, and with all of the decisions he is being recently asked to respect, the store is running low.
 #47737  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:57 pm
I always grow nervous of players that continue to tweet their highlight films even after committing.

I understand some of Buford's job is to promote their players. However, you've got a kid committed to a program that takes one or two of your players every year, so maybe tone down actively soliciting more offers for a kid that's already committed.

My hope is that he let Furman's coaches know before, you know, today.
 #47738  by Paul C
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:12 pm
If this happened before the Feb signing day I’d be disinclined to “respect” his decision. At least now we have an opening and a few months to fill it.

OTOH, as FUBEAR said, or more accurately implied, I smell “transfer portal” in his future if past behavior is any indicator….
 #47739  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:36 pm
Paul C wrote:
If this happened before the Feb signing day I’d be disinclined to “respect” his decision. At least now we have an opening and a few months to fill it.

OTOH, as FUBEAR said, or more accurately implied, I smell “transfer portal” in his future if past behavior is any indicator….

I guess the bummer too is that he committed back in July. So, that's a long time he's been the WR in this class. Hope we've got some other options.

I expect Furman won't overreact here, sign their class tomorrow, and then target a specific few positions for February.
 #47740  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:57 pm
Went back and did some digging.

Furman had a WR, Ambe Caldwell, decommit on the eve of early signing day in 2019 (almost two years to the day). Caldwell went to Miami of Ohio, moved to defensive back, and does not appear to have played in a game yet.

After that, Furman went and got a transfer at WR (Noah Henderson) and signed two WR before the February signing period (Bailor Hughes and Kelton Gunn).

To be honest, I'm not sure I've seen a kid decommit from Furman recently that went on to be a standout wherever they ended up. Sometimes, I guess, it can be a blessing in disguise for a kid that isn't 100% committed to be not 100% committed somewhere else.
 #47794  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:51 pm
Paul C wrote:
Nah…was not meant as a ‘dig’ at the individual; more of a broad commentary on the overall ouvres of commit / decommit / transfer Tweeting, the fluidity of these ‘decisions,’ of the current state college football, and FUBeAR’s current melancholy vis a vis that state.

FUBeAR often says a lot with few words and, more often, says little with a lot.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #47797  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:33 pm
Looks like Jones is a go.

Great news! He should be in the mix for the starting job next year.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by paladinfan41

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:02 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.