• Furman @ North Carolina (Dec. 14 ESPN2)

#47781  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:44 pm
I don't understand why Bob Richey and all his SoCon tourney chokes so far have not taught him he needs to develop some size, if we are going to lose by double digits dangit we should at least play some these bigger kids to get them some experience, Richey needs to learn why we have choked so much in the tournament and adapt this program or we will always be second fiddle or worse
bj93 liked this
 #47785  by Sad Din
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:53 pm
That half time pep talk really worked great.... ACC reps to Refs.... "we dont win this by 10 u guys will never ref another game in ACC"
 #47787  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:04 pm
22 second half points, story of the game. Cold as ice. The Paladins failed to cover the spread again.
8-15 from 3 in the first half. 2-18 in the second half.
 #47788  by FurmAlum
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:10 pm
I thought it was a great effort. Our shots just didn't fall in the second half and if they had it would have been a very close game or maybe a Paladin victory. The refs didn't help, but that's what you get against a good team on the road.

What tonight showed IMHO is that we can compete against ACC teams and if UNC had to venture down to the Well for a rematch things could very well be different. Even on a neutral court things could be different.

Take it easy DR, our young bigs just aren't quite ready yet. We did the best we could with what we had. Like SD said. Live by the 3, die by the 3. Some of our looks were forced by good D by Carolina, but we also missed several wide open 3's in the second half. When your legs go your shots don't fall. Got to take it to the basket in the second half and we just couldn't get it done.

Give some credit to Carolina. They played well in the second half. But we competed and it was far from a blow out.
Sad Din, hypercycloid, FU3 and 3 others liked this
 #47791  by purplehorse
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:54 pm
So far the word of the season is INCONSISTENCY and that happens a lot with FURMAN and other Southern Conference teams. It was really on display tonight-the tale of two halves. If we had played two halves like the first half we would have won.

I am not down on the team at all. Just wish we could be more consistent.

Great first half. Hunter and Slawson came to play.
 #47793  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:38 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:54 pm
So far the word of the season is INCONSISTENCY and that happens a lot with FURMAN and other Southern Conference teams. It was really on display tonight-the tale of two halves. If we had played two halves like the first half we would have won.

I am not down on the team at all. Just wish we could be more consistent.

Great first half. Hunter and Slawson came to play.
That’s the way college basketball is these days, its all about shooting and no team is going to shoot well every game. Take a look at Sundays game with #2 Baylor and #6 Villanova: 103 total points with ‘nova scoring only 36. How many times has a top 25 team lost by double digits this year? Back to Furman, we have 2 players we can count on every game, 3 counting Bothwell but the other 2 are just a little more consistent. Garrison plays a lot of minutes but we are not getting a lot of production from him offensively even though he provides pretty good defense and tied Slawson for the top rebounder tonight. Still we need 10 points a game from him. The shared 5th starting spot between Hien and Foster is the definition of inconsistency. This is why I would not mind seeing Repass get a start or 2 and see how it goes. If nothing else he gives some size and maybe he could stop some of the easy layups we see game after game. It will be very dificult for us to win the SoCon tourney because I am not sure we are capable of shooting well 3 nights in a row. Of course the same could be said for other teams as well but we probably rely more on the 3 than most.
 #47818  by RaleighDin
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:00 am
I will say - the idea of giving Repass some starts and about 5 min at the beginning of games is appealing, especially with the inconsistencies of Hien and Foster right now. He's probably not ready, especially defensively, but the last two games, he's gotten the ball in the post, and scored in the paint immediately after checking in. Watching him do it last night was almost twisting the knife a little bit after we struggled so badly on the glass all game.

Don't know if anyone caught Hubert's postgame press conference, but there was some VERY high praise in there for Alex Hunter, which couldn't be more well deserved. I think we'll go as far as he takes us this year, and he's showing he's capable of producing when we need him to. If I'm not mistaken, he's averaging 19 ppg in ACC game :)

CBR has raised the bar, and our expectations with it - let's not forget to enjoy that fact. I went to the game last night knowing that a win was unlikely, but also entirely possible. AT UNC. For Furman. What? Roll Dins.
apaladin liked this
 #47820  by SidBreamScores
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:08 am
If you have a moment today, check out Hubert Davis’s post game. If I wasn’t such a techno-idiot, I would post a link. Very high praise for Hunter as a player and a person. Agree with everything Coach Davis said. Good for AH!
 #47823  by furpop16
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:23 am
SidBreamScores wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:08 am
If you have a moment today, check out Hubert Davis’s post game. If I wasn’t such a techno-idiot, I would post a link. Very high praise for Hunter as a player and a person. Agree with everything Coach Davis said. Good for AH!

Here ya go:

#47826  by furmandad
 Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:45 pm
Need more consistency from M. Bothwell. Last night, 32 min, FG 3-10, including 1-8 on 3's. 1 rebound, 3 turnovers. Some of his shots didn't hit the rim. He's a terrific player and we'll need his best in SoCon play.
apaladin, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.